Author Topic: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!  (Read 52875 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2018, 10:32:32 AM »
Good new's indeed Oscar, you be loosing sleep for sure with gas blast's an fissure sounds hopefully you getting sleep!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
Good new's indeed Oscar, you be loosing sleep for sure with gas blast's an fissure sounds hopefully you getting sleep!
Sleeping: no problems. Blasts are very far away, barely hear them.
Breathing: problems some times. Air quality can get really bad sometimes. It brings new meaning to the expression "i need to take a breather". Going to the ocean today (far from lava flow) to get some fresh air. I'm tired of holding my breath!
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
If the air is like it was here after Bárðarbunga, the amount it affects you is relative to how physically active you are.  Also, the weather conditions have a huge effect on it.  The biggest one, obviously, being which direction the wind is blowing and how hard.  With the pollution maps we had, the plume was like a narrow cone emitted from the fissure, aimed at whatever direction the winds were on that day.

Are you getting a "blue haze"?  That was the key characteristic here.  When you're looking at distant mountains it often made them look like they were floating in the air.  The period of time in Iceland's history after Laki went off were known as "Móðuharðindin", or "The Mist Hardships"; 20% of the population and 75% of the livestock died, and Denmark considered evacuating the whole island.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16:02 PM »
Just saw this:

Hawaii
Breaking NATIONAL GUARD JUST ORDERED A MASSIVE EVAC

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

Evacuation affects about 1000 people on the island

This is not yet on place, authorities are on preparations to it due the danger of ashes, stronger explosive eruptions and big quantities of gas in the air.
This is all totally false. Fox News is the KING of fake news!

Hmm, the fake news only seem to be happening on this site – interesting.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »
Enhh? What do you mean?

Just saw this:

Hawaii

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

This is not yet on place, authorities are on preparations to it due the danger of ashes, stronger explosive eruptions and big quantities of gas in the air.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2018, 11:57:43 PM »
Enhh? What do you mean?

Just saw this:

Hawaii

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

What I mean is that when I google the following "news" posted by a member on this forum [Evacuation affects about 1000 people on the island] I only get this site as the only site that has ever published such statement. anyway, I'm happy to be in Florida with my lovely hurricanes and my prayers are with those in Hawaii.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2018, 04:10:53 AM »
If the air is like it was here after Bárðarbunga, the amount it affects you is relative to how physically active you are.  Also, the weather conditions have a huge effect on it.  The biggest one, obviously, being which direction the wind is blowing and how hard.  With the pollution maps we had, the plume was like a narrow cone emitted from the fissure, aimed at whatever direction the winds were on that day.

Are you getting a "blue haze"?  That was the key characteristic here.  When you're looking at distant mountains it often made them look like they were floating in the air.  The period of time in Iceland's history after Laki went off were known as "Móðuharðindin", or "The Mist Hardships"; 20% of the population and 75% of the livestock died, and Denmark considered evacuating the whole island.
No blue haze here. Measurements of SO2 close to fissures at over 100 ppm, which is extremely high. I'm guessing when it's really bad at my place it is over 5 ppm, but don't know for sure as don't have a meter.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2018, 04:15:21 AM »
See fake news on many different sites, and almost all media outside of Hawaii hypes what is happening here so much that truth becomes distorted. Only local Hawaii news channels are usually good, and even there sometimes there is some hype.
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »
I posted news about the volcanic eruption here because i was worried with Hawaii people of this forum! I already say sorry for posting this only news that prove to be false. But acuse me to spread false news on porpose is too much! I belong to this forum for some years and never had any problem!

>:(

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2018, 05:03:37 AM »

No blue haze here. Measurements of SO2 close to fissures at over 100 ppm, which is extremely high. I'm guessing when it's really bad at my place it is over 5 ppm, but don't know for sure as don't have a meter.

Ugh, 100 can kill you without a gas mask  :Þ.  Hope nobody is breathing anything close to that.  Now, when Bárðarbunga went off there was so much gas that even a gas mask wouldn't save you near the main crater - the CO2 was so high and the O2 so low that you had to breathe from oxygen tanks near it. But we were lucky that the fissure was so far from cities; yours is basically right next door by comparison, so you're very likely getting well higher levels than we did.  You're close enough that it's probably mostly still SO2 and hasn't oxidized to SO3 / H2SO4 yet, which would explain the lack of a vog haze (since that's tiny droplets of H2SO4, since SO3 is so hygroscopic that it sucks moisture right out of the air until it dilutes to a certain H2SO4 droplet size).  Of course, both SO2 and SO3/H2SO4 are bad for both humans and plants, so that's not necessarily an improvement  :Þ
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:54:31 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
Hmm, first good image I've seen so far:

That really helps contextualize it. Looks like all of the Leilani fissures are dead or dying, and they're further southeast than I was picturing.  Good.  So long as the eastern part of the flow doesn't get too adventurous, further damage should be mainly limited to roads, gas, etc and the occasional home or business in the countryside.

I've seen lots of articles freaking out about the lava going into the sea, but really, it  has to go somewhere, and that's the best spot for it. Laze is a small price to pay.  Bet the people on the eastern end of Pohoiki Road are particularly happy about the turn to the sea.  I just hope those flows to the north of them are as dead as they appear. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:22:28 AM by KarenRei »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2018, 08:55:36 AM »
As I said before..... These 20+ fissures have not spewed out much lava near homes otherwise we would have a lot more video of homes having lava rolling over them. You can see molten hot lava dancing out of fissures which just means pressure blowing off. I hope pray this volcanic event ends soon and blows off soon so that road repair can be done and lives can return to normal.

As far as lava hitting the ocean with lots of bubbling and steam, this is worth a helicopter ride to see it. But you have to live there and I don't.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:01:28 AM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:13 PM »
As I said before..... These 20+ fissures have not spewed out much lava near homes otherwise we would have a lot more video of homes having lava rolling over them. You can see molten hot lava dancing out of fissures which just means pressure blowing off. I hope pray this volcanic event ends soon and blows off soon so that road repair can be done and lives can return to normal.

As far as lava hitting the ocean with lots of bubbling and steam, this is worth a helicopter ride to see it. But you have to live there and I don't.
The area in Leilani are all homes on one acre or larger lots, otherwise a lot more homes would indeed been destroyed.
All flights within 5 miles of active lava flow are prohibited, except for special permission like USGS and Civid Defense. I did go on a lava boat trip and it was spectacular! They went very close to area where lava is entering the ocean. That large plume is visible from my house. There was zero laze and zero SO2. In fact it was the first time i could breathe freely in a very long time. Now back home and air is miraculously clean, at least for now.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:25:24 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
Wow! surprised they're allowing boat tours. That sounds amazingly spectacular! got pics? ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »
Hmm, first good image I've seen so far:

That really helps contextualize it. Looks like all of the Leilani fissures are dead or dying, and they're further southeast than I was picturing.  Good.  So long as the eastern part of the flow doesn't get too adventurous, further damage should be mainly limited to roads, gas, etc and the occasional home or business in the countryside.

I've seen lots of articles freaking out about the lava going into the sea, but really, it  has to go somewhere, and that's the best spot for it. Laze is a small price to pay.  Bet the people on the eastern end of Pohoiki Road are particularly happy about the turn to the sea.  I just hope those flows to the north of them are as dead as they appear.
The fissures in Leilani are not dead. They are just not active right now. Fissures all along the rift zone can go on and off at any time, and several already have. Hopefully most of the intrusion of magma has moved down rift, but there is no guarantee of this. Seismic activity and deflation are good signs that this is the case, and keeping fingers crossed that this is the case, but extremely difficult, if not impossible, to say what this volcano will do next.
Fissure 6 came back on and is currently threatening to flow over the geothermal plant. There is a possibility of a blow out of a well. They are trying to do everything they can to cap and plug them in time. A blow out of geothermal well would mean possible release of very toxic hydrogen sulfide gases and other chemicals. A well blow out already happened once in 1991, and maybe will help to explatin to you why geothermal plant is not so popular here? That also together with the fact that the plant is smack in the middle of a residential area? It should have never been permitted.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »
Wow! surprised they're allowing boat tours. That sounds amazingly spectacular! got pics? ;)
The tours are only for boats with special permits that have operated in previous events when lava was entering ocean. Boats without special permits have to remain minimum 300 yards away from area. Our boat was only one there, except for Coast Guard ship monitoring situation. Very difficult to reach as need to use Hilo harbor now that Pohoiki boat ramp is closed. Ocean quite rough in this area and one way was 75 minutes to reach area. Yes have photos, and even videos, and will try to post some later.
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
Cool, Thanks Oscar. I was wondering if the Beach Park was still open or not.Thats a much less desireable boat ride from Hilo, especially with white caps.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:33 PM »
Cool, Thanks Oscar. I was wondering if the Beach Park was still open or not.Thats a much less desireable boat ride from Hilo, especially with white caps.
What do you mean by the beach park?
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2018, 11:04:09 PM »
Isaac Hale Park.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2018, 12:56:51 AM »
Isaac Hale Park.
All the parks along the Puna coast are closed, including that one. Would not do you any good if the parks were open as all the roads that lead to them are either closed by lava, or closed to through traffic, except residents. ID required showing you live there to get in.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:42 PM »
I posted some photos and videos on facebook of the lava boat tour:
https://www.facebook.com/oscarfruitlovers

Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2018, 08:06:15 AM »

Nice timeline, thanks for sharing.  Been up to the summit a few times.    "Lake Waiau located at 3,970 m above sea level on Mauna Kea", where is that?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »

Nice timeline, thanks for sharing.  Been up to the summit a few times.    "Lake Waiau located at 3,970 m above sea level on Mauna Kea", where is that?
Lake Waiau is just a short hike from the summit, end of road. Most people don't see the trail head. It's a short walk, maybe 1/2 mile, but a little hard due to low oxygen levels.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
Lake Waiau is just a short hike from the summit, end of road. Most people don't see the trail head. It's a short walk, maybe 1/2 mile, but a little hard due to low oxygen levels.

Interesting, who'd thought it.  Oxygen?  We got taken in by an astronomer working in the first Keck observatory.   I was so winded I couldn't remember my name when he was introducing us to his friends sitting there at the monitors.  Truly magical.  The pix I took every 5 minutes during sunset are breathtaking.  I've never seen so much space junk and stuff float by in my life.

Good luck with Pele!   ???

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »

Interesting, who'd thought it.  Oxygen?  We got taken in by an astronomer working in the first Keck observatory.   I was so winded I couldn't remember my name when he was introducing us to his friends sitting there at the monitors.  Truly magical.  The pix I took every 5 minutes during sunset are breathtaking.  I've never seen so much space junk and stuff float by in my life.

Good luck with Pele!   ???
Pele made that summit of Mauna Kea many millions of years ago. Yes it's strange to have a lake at the very top of a volcano. Nobody knows what the source of the water in that lake is. Totally baffling. There is water in it year round, and it's a very low rainfall area, and the water is not run off from anywhere. Now Pele is doing a bit of sculpturing in our area. It's looking around here like the dawn of creation.
Oscar