Author Topic: Keppel in Miami.  (Read 7770 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Keppel in Miami.
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:21:37 PM »
Hey guys, here is a picture of my Keppel tree which I bought from Excalibur and has been planted in the ground for about a year. It made it through last winter.

It's majorly flushing. I have high hopes
- David Antonio Garcia

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Keppel in Miami.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
Wow! Very nice! Keep us updated :)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
Good size ! about 2 meters tall ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »
The 2 large trees in the park near me are currently festooned with flowers which makes them 4 months out of sinc with last time I noticed them covered in flowers. The abundance of flowers is terrific and they put on quite a show being cauliflorous and ramiflorus.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
Our kepel fruit twice a year, it is quite a show.
Peter

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:02:46 AM »
Yuup my is in ground in Boca Raton and laugh at the cold for last three years. The tallest is almost nine feet tall & smallest is about two feet; I have 12 trees in all stage of Juvenile growth. All three strains of kepels seem to thrive on abundant moisture & free enrich black mulch from Palm Beach Waste Authority.  I just have to get my Rabbi to Kosher them so I can setup a fruit stand in my HOA when they bloom hopefully next year and sell it to all the old farts in my hood (including me) to improve the air quality.:)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:40:08 AM »
Does this tree grow well here in south florida?  Is the fruit tasty or used more for it's herbal qualities and to freshen breath?   Can the trees be pruned to keep small (or like jaboticaba, would it be counter-productive? 

Interesting!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
Coconut post a picture if yours if you can. I thought I was the only person crazy/stupid enough to try this in Florida, that wasnt a Whitman or a Grimal.

Also yes luc, bout 6-7ft, it's taken a little time to take off since I put it in the ground, but that seems to be changing
- David Antonio Garcia

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
It really has the coolest colors!

Sorry, I always post the wrong picture from my phone.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:27:19 PM by davidgarcia899 »
- David Antonio Garcia

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »
Here are some of my kepels in various stage of growth. David. Tree tend to flush with new pink growth four time a year.  Thrive in partly shade during its juvenile development.  The nine footer should be over the neighbor's roof next year.  Can anyone tell me why it uploaded sideway?

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 12:38:55 AM »
David we are not the only one growing Kepels here in South Florida. Beside my 12 trees in Boca, I know a Dozen of trees being planted on intercoastal Malapan to deerfield beach in those Mega Mansion; the super rich friends are taking note of this plant Royal Harem Notoriety Heritage.  I just hope one of my three strains of 12 trees will produce a fruit that make my fart smell like Old Spice; the wife will let me back in bed and the biggest plus, she will let me plant more rare coconuts at her company corporate headquarter which have five acres I could sneak in kepel under the coconut and make million selling the kepel fruit as certify organic birth control at Whole food in Boca Raton...who knew?? :-X

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »
Everyone told me I was nuts haha, but I also am pretty far inland. I just have the one tall tree and a couple small seedlings. Mine is in sorta partial shade. Its between two tall sugar apple trees and has a line of bananas on one side. Its only exposed on the north side.
- David Antonio Garcia

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Yeah I stuck a five footer in full sun and watch it almost burn to death like a vampire, just got tire of watching it going through puberty duration and think to speed it up.  Had to move to shade and plant slowly rising from dead.  They seem to thrive in Partial shade.  I have discovered that if I let them go dry for three months with mother nature supplementing water, than fertilize them and water them almost everyday, you get that wonderful flush of pink red growth on old emerald green leaves; make it such a wonderful tropical ornamental tree. It grow pyramidical like a xmas tree and I do this four time a year to get that new flush growth. My largest tree is around 12 feet and ten years old.  Hope it flower soon so we can find out its mythical botanical characteristic. 8)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »
I'm glad to hear all these are doing so well.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
I have seen a 12 footer with fruit before and they look much like a Theobroma with smaller leaves when the larger trees have a flush of new leaves.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »
I have seen a 12 footer with fruit before and they look much like a Theobroma with smaller leaves when the larger trees have a flush of new leaves.

Mike did you also see them in Thailand? I have never but would like to grow one.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »
No BK not in Thailand and because they are not a large,sweet and fleshy fruit they most not appeal to thais as much as traditional fruits. I think they are relatively uncommon even in Java.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »
I see, that's the case with many fruits that are not growing in Thailand.

But in Thailand nothing is sure, maybe one day i find them.

This looks like an Indonesian girl and she loves them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjuVPMl6dI

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
Yeah I stuck a five footer in full sun and watch it almost burn to death like a vampire, just got tire of watching it going through puberty duration and think to speed it up.  Had to move to shade and plant slowly rising from dead.  They seem to thrive in Partial shade.  I have discovered that if I let them go dry for three months with mother nature supplementing water, than fertilize them and water them almost everyday, you get that wonderful flush of pink red growth on old emerald green leaves; make it such a wonderful tropical ornamental tree. It grow pyramidical like a xmas tree and I do this four time a year to get that new flush growth. My largest tree is around 12 feet and ten years old.  Hope it flower soon so we can find out its mythical botanical characteristic. 8)

Like a lot of tropicals, the kepel likes partial shade till it's about 4-5 feet tall and then can slowly be moved into full sun. The reddish leaves are the color of new leaf flushes, similar to maprang, but maprang is a bit more purplish. Here is an 8 footer kepel with a new leaf flush:
Oscar

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »
Oscar, thank you for selling me these super cold resistant kepel seeds that germinate right out of the bag so I dont have to spent a year waiting for them to germinate. Your strain seem to take forever to grow however & been four years now & its around three feet.  I have a tree growing in Orlando too your strain.  What is the secret to get some height on these or is it my climate here in the subtropic, they are all outdoor in the ground.  In your experience, at what height or girth will these Kepel start flowering?  And are your strain dioecious? 8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:32 AM »
Oscar, thank you for selling me these super cold resistant kepel seeds that germinate right out of the bag so I dont have to spent a year waiting for them to germinate. Your strain seem to take forever to grow however & been four years now & its around three feet.  I have a tree growing in Orlando too your strain.  What is the secret to get some height on these or is it my climate here in the subtropic, they are all outdoor in the ground.  In your experience, at what height or girth will these Kepel start flowering?  And are your strain dioecious? 8)

All kepels are unisexual, producing male flowers on upper branches and female flowers on lower branches of same tree. (Prosea book p. 290) I would guess that they should start flowering at 10-12 feet. Yes subtropical climate slows down all tropical plants. But kepel here is plain slow, even in tropics. Way to speed it up: consistent food and water. Don't let them get stressed thru lack of these or sunburn or windburn.
Oscar

BenEMiami

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »
Hey guys, I am really interested in purchasing some Kepple Apple fruit. I am here down in South Florida. Anyone have some actual fruit for sale??? That would be great. Please let me know. Looking to buy some.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
I have two trees loaded with kepel fruit in Costa Rica.  Could be ready in a couple/few weeks.
Peter

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »

Peter, do you know at what age Kepel trees start bearing? BTW, I was at CATIE this morning, and their Kepel trees show no signs of fruiting yet. Funny. After reading your post about your trees having lots of Kepel fruit, I was hoping to get to rob their Kepel fruit soon. LOL. I've been eating their wonderful black sapotes every day. Still no rain here! Hope to see you some day soon.

Doug

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »
Hi Doug,
Kepel is very slow from seed in my experience.  I’d guess 8-12 years.  What size trunk do the kepel at CATIE have?
Saludos
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk