Author Topic: Hawaii visit  (Read 2780 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Hawaii visit
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »
Just returned from the big island. Started with the suggestions I got here and got more tips there. Got to visit a couple forum members, which was very cool. Seeing the trees around the island was neat, especially the feral mangoes growing huge alongside the roads (and the ones at Rainbow falls...holy cow). And the Jackfruit and Breadfruit.

For tasting new fruits the farmers markets were mostly a bust (tried 5 different ones), but the roadside stands delivered. Two in south Kona, one in front of the old theater and another a couple miles further down the road. I got to try for the first time: star apple, rollinia, tree tomato, soursop, ugli fruit, some orange dragonfruit (a megalanthus hybrid?), cocoa fruit pulp. Was a bit early in general though.

Pretty productive in my book. Plus other adventures/siteseeing.

Mango tree in front of Rainbow Falls:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:29:48 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Hawaii visit
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:32 AM »
You're probably not going to believe it, but there's a mango tree on the back side of the waterfalls that is about 3x that size. I thought you were referring to that one when you talked about giant mango tree next to the waterfall.
Oscar

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »
I want to visit Hawaii next year, so I would like to know what is the best time for fruit tasting and what islands. Is my first visit and I am a tropical fruit fanatic that is why I want to go when most of them are in season. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
I want to visit Hawaii next year, so I would like to know what is the best time for fruit tasting and what islands. Is my first visit and I am a tropical fruit fanatic that is why I want to go when most of them are in season. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Remember this is the tropics, so there are fruits here all year long. Ofcourse some are seasonal. So for seasonal fruits would depend on what your favorite fruits are? Personally i like summer best, just because i'm a big mango and lychee fan. If you come in June there is overlap of season of these 2 favorites of mine. An especially good time is around 4th of July because there is not only lots of fruits but also many fun special activities. If you come around Xmas time then there are durians, rambutans, abius. But also that time of year more tourists, so higher air fares.
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
I personally enjoy pigging out on the lychee when Hawaii.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I personally enjoy pigging out on the lychee when Hawaii.
Peak of lychee season runs usually from end of May till around 4th of July. There are some late season lychees after that, but not tons.
BTW i thought this year was going to be a bumper lychee crop. But sad to say most flowers panicles seem to have few fruits on them.  :(  At least this side of the island. Might be different story Kona side?
Oscar

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »
Thanks, I think I will go before July 4th I prefer less people and I like quiet beach or nature walks, probably the last two weeks in June. I am so excited I can't wait! :)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »
You're probably not going to believe it, but there's a mango tree on the back side of the waterfalls that is about 3x that size. I thought you were referring to that one when you talked about giant mango tree next to the waterfall.

I will have to look for it next time. Still blown away by all the mango trees.
Shane

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »
Are jaboticaba fruits available in Hawaï during the month of june?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:21:46 PM by shinzo »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »
Are jaboticaba fruits available in Hawaï during the month of june?

They are fruiting right now. Hard to say about June as they bear a few times per year, and not always on same months. But i would say there is a good probability you could find some in June.
Oscar