Author Topic: San Diegans -- Exotica heads-up  (Read 1340 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
San Diegans -- Exotica heads-up
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »
Place has cleaned up quite a bit, prices are up too, but if you're interested in Mangoes you should stop by Exotica. He's got dozens of varieties, most of which I'd never heard of. 'Peggy' was a name I recognized. Some 'California Grown' too, which are not Thompson's and seem to be grafted from locally successful trees. That's as much as I remember. If anyone else goes by would love your impressions.
Shane

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: San Diegans -- Exotica heads-up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:14 PM »
Interesting.  Do you know if they are now accurately labeling whether trees are grafted or not?  In the past I've noticed that they don't distinguish between grafted trees and seedlings, and sometimes the trees are old enough that a graft union wouldn't be easy to find (if they did a clean graft).  I haven't gotten any of their specialty trees because their prices are high, but they do generally have a really diverse selection.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! Peggy is an excellent tasting variety. I haven't been to Exotica in a long time, I need to make time to visit them. Peggy and Leo #2 and one of Rudy's selections are my three favorite local varieties.

Simon

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:38:29 AM »
Barath, Definitely not accurately labelled. You have to ask Steve straight up and he'll tell you.

Simon, Good to know. I was reading old posts about Peggy (and Leo #2) and they seem like winners for Socal.
Shane

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:27:35 AM »
Yeah I noticed the mangos appearing when I was down in April.  Might need to make the trek down in July.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk