Author Topic: Looking for seeds of Casimiroa tetrameria/Wooly White Sapote  (Read 1738 times)

jason

• HongKong
    • View Profile
dear all,

i am looking for seeds of Casimiroa tetrameria/Wooly White Sapote, if you have or know the source, please let me know, thanks in advance!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for seeds of Casimiroa tetrameria/Wooly White Sapote
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 03:28:02 PM »
I’ve never met anyone who grew this from seed or seen a fruit.
I have it grafted on C. edulis and it is slow growing and dwarfed.
Can share a scion or 2.
I believe any C. Edulis with any amount of fuzzy leaves (like Suebelle) has some C. Tetrameria hybridized in it.
My tree flowered this year but did not hold fruit.
I remember reading the fruit is not as appreciated as C. Edulis.

jason

• HongKong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
I’ve never met anyone who grew this from seed or seen a fruit.
I have it grafted on C. edulis and it is slow growing and dwarfed.
Can share a scion or 2.
I believe any C. Edulis with any amount of fuzzy leaves (like Suebelle) has some C. Tetrameria hybridized in it.
My tree flowered this year but did not hold fruit.
I remember reading the fruit is not as appreciated as C. Edulis.

thanks joanh.
it is not easy to get the C. tetrameria seeds, but i still want to try.
there are some nice varieties of  wooly leaves, and C. Edulis rootstock does not work for them

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 10:19:23 PM »
Actually C. tetrameria has a different, but good flavor compared to C. edulis.  The flesh is yellow in color and the fruits are rather long compared to the white sapote which is very round.  I have several trees, both #6 and #7, which are grafted on C. tetrameria seedlings.  #6 and 7 won out in a CRFG taste test.  C. tetrameria is a much smaller tree than the huge C. edulis.  C. edulis grafted on C. tetrameria results in a dwarf tree (like 4 ft tall, normal sized fruits).  I have a Vernon and a Pike that are over 25 years old, both about 4 ft tall.  Grafting a yellow sapote (C. tetrameria) on a C. edulis results in a tree less than 7 ft tall and about 6 ft wide.  Again, fruit produced are normal sized fruit.  The leaf underside of C. tetrameria is very fuzzy, whereas C. edulis is smooth (an exception is Suebelle, thought by some to be a hybrid, or could have a common ancestor).  I also have two C. tetrameria trees grafted on C. edulis rootstock that are over 25 years old with no hint of incompatibility,. however there is overgrowth of C. edulis at the graft union.  Both trees are healthy.  C. tetrameria on its own roots produces abundant fruit, but nothing like the masses of fruit produced by C. edulis, a much larger and prolific tree.  The sheer size of C. edulis limits the collected varieties from the Bob Chambers grove to just limbs and branches.  Seeds of C. tetrameria resemble C. Edulis, but are smaller and more rounded.  C. edulis has many seedlings spontaneously growing under the tree, that is rare under a C, tetrameria tree, but then again the volume of fruits under a C. edulis is a walking hazard.

Currently trees are barely blossoming.

Jack Swords

jason

• HongKong
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »
Actually C. tetrameria has a different, but good flavor compared to C. edulis.  The flesh is yellow in color and the fruits are rather long compared to the white sapote which is very round.  I have several trees, both #6 and #7, which are grafted on C. tetrameria seedlings.  #6 and 7 won out in a CRFG taste test.  C. tetrameria is a much smaller tree than the huge C. edulis.  C. edulis grafted on C. tetrameria results in a dwarf tree (like 4 ft tall, normal sized fruits).  I have a Vernon and a Pike that are over 25 years old, both about 4 ft tall.  Grafting a yellow sapote (C. tetrameria) on a C. edulis results in a tree less than 7 ft tall and about 6 ft wide.  Again, fruit produced are normal sized fruit.  The leaf underside of C. tetrameria is very fuzzy, whereas C. edulis is smooth (an exception is Suebelle, thought by some to be a hybrid, or could have a common ancestor).  I also have two C. tetrameria trees grafted on C. edulis rootstock that are over 25 years old with no hint of incompatibility,. however there is overgrowth of C. edulis at the graft union.  Both trees are healthy.  C. tetrameria on its own roots produces abundant fruit, but nothing like the masses of fruit produced by C. edulis, a much larger and prolific tree.  The sheer size of C. edulis limits the collected varieties from the Bob Chambers grove to just limbs and branches.  Seeds of C. tetrameria resemble C. Edulis, but are smaller and more rounded.  C. edulis has many seedlings spontaneously growing under the tree, that is rare under a C, tetrameria tree, but then again the volume of fruits under a C. edulis is a walking hazard.

Jack Swords
many thanks for your informations Jack!!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 12:14:58 AM »
Awesome information Jack.

Thank you!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 02:43:49 AM »
dear all,

i am looking for seeds of Casimiroa tetrameria/Wooly White Sapote, if you have or know the source, please let me know, thanks in advance!

Actually the Wooly sapote fruits of my tree and from a friend are seedless. Don't know if that is common.

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
I am looking for the same, actually for rootstock for regular white sapote to plant here in FL. If anyone has please message me.
Satya

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »

Jack Swords

Hi Jack,
i messaged you and also emailed you. Was asking to see if i could buy some seeds of tetrameria from you. I already have a grafted tetrameria on Mcdill but not sure when it will start fruiting and wanted to use tetrameria as a rootstock.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 07:42:02 PM »
I'll have tetramera seeds in May when is season here in Vallarta very similar to white sapote but flavor is more concentrated and flesh is less juicy
El verde es vida!

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 10:29:43 PM »
I'll have tetramera seeds in May when is season here in Vallarta very similar to white sapote but flavor is more concentrated and flesh is less juicy

Thanks Raul. I will reach out to you in May.

Brian laufer

• USA. California. Oceanside. Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 11:21:30 AM »
Hi. Jason.
How many do you need?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
Last active 6 months ago. Try him on FB. Maybe a variegated jabo could be in the cards.
Hi. Jason.
How many do you need?