Author Topic: Pickering versus Cogshall  (Read 26701 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pickering versus Cogshall
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
if the mango was bland, and the description is sweet, why couldn't I assume I didn't have a good representation of this cultivar?

it's either sweet or not...if not sweet, it's not what others have been describing it as.

in this case you can safely assume that not everyone describes bland mangoes as being sweet.
To ME, I would include flavor if someone said it was bland.  One persons description of bland flavor could vary from anothers (I have seen it a hundred times this year just with the Glens I have sold...they are truly very watered down and bland for a Glenn yet many people buy them up saying they are delicious and just like they "should be".  In this case, I would say they are not representative while other say they are...

Again, to ME, the Pickering is not a fantastic mango.  It is very good with great attributes in its dwarf size and fruiting at a small size.  Others will disagree that they feel it is fantastic.  Who is correct, both are.  Its all subjective in this case, no right or wrong.  In comparison, if someone says a Tommy Atkins is fiber free, that is different and there is a right/wrong.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
mangomadman,

the oickeirngs taste different to my friends who've eaten them.  I've only had the ones from my two trees...the one tree that produced the most was nice and sweet(it has extended dimple), the normal shaped Pickering I had, made 4 fruits that came off just a tad too early, and were bland!  I'm sure that's all that happened in your case.

as for my perfectly ripe pickerings that have a different taste, I think it's due to my odd growing conditions.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
Rob,

who sells a mango and says it bland?

Zill released the mango (or whoever) and gave it a description of being sweet...that's what we go by...the taste didn't match. 

Not much more I can say.

i don't think Pickering is the greatest either...unless u want to grow outside of the proper zones for mangoes.

if the mango was bland, and the description is sweet, why couldn't I assume I didn't have a good representation of this cultivar?

it's either sweet or not...if not sweet, it's not what others have been describing it as.

in this case you can safely assume that not everyone describes bland mangoes as being sweet.
To ME, I would include flavor if someone said it was bland.  One persons description of bland flavor could vary from anothers (I have seen it a hundred times this year just with the Glens I have sold...they are truly very watered down and bland for a Glenn yet many people buy them up saying they are delicious and just like they "should be".  In this case, I would say they are not representative while other say they are...

Again, to ME, the Pickering is not a fantastic mango.  It is very good with great attributes in its dwarf size and fruiting at a small size.  Others will disagree that they feel it is fantastic.  Who is correct, both are.  Its all subjective in this case, no right or wrong.  In comparison, if someone says a Tommy Atkins is fiber free, that is different and there is a right/wrong.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
Rob,

who sells a mango and says it bland?

Zill released the mango (or whoever) and gave it a description of being sweet...that's what we go by...the taste didn't match. 

Not much more I can say.

i don't think Pickering is the greatest either...unless u want to grow outside of the proper zones for mangoes.

Nobody is "selling" them as bland.  I am making a statement, as others on here have said, that most Glens are watered down, aka bland, this year from all the rain (I think you can do a search and find Squam saying they were bland and he is selling them).  Just a fact.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
Rob,

that's unfortunate to hear that the glen mangoes are bland this year, it's certainly not befitting of the description I've heard of this silky sweet mango!   ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
The early Glenns I ate were pretty washed out; I have had a few since then that tasted considerably better and more akin to what they "should" be like. Perhaps it was because they matured during the brief break in the wet weather; not really sure but climatically speaking its certainly not a good year for Glenn. Last year they were quite good.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
Thank you, all, for your input!

I read somewhere that some people are actually obsessed with mangos.  My sister isn't.  She just knows, from having tasted my Keitts and Kents years ago, that mangos are supposed to be good.  And the mangos she has bought at the store aren't good.

I'm beginning to suspect that either choice would work for her.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
while I have some mango lovers attention, may i ask when you pick ice-cream mangoes?

let them fall,or cut off full sized and blushed yellow ??

im too excited to eat one, I don't want to jump the gun, or miss the boat..: I was thinking i could pick them quite like Carrie? am I wrong?

thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
OK, OK I give up.  I just read this whole thread.  I've got to ask, bsbullie what mangos would you call excellent?  I bought a Pickering because of the great reviews and now you're telling me it's not great.  Hopefully I'll have some of he ones you consider excellent.

Bill

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 10:50:49 PM »
while I have some mango lovers attention, may i ask when you pick ice-cream mangoes?

let them fall,or cut off full sized and blushed yellow ??

im too excited to eat one, I don't want to jump the gun, or miss the boat..: I was thinking i could pick them quite like Carrie? am I wrong?

thanks!
Season is mid to late June into July.  If you see a yellow blush on them, go ahead and pick them.  They can also be picked without any yellow.  As you probably already know but if not, there is no red or orange blush/color to them at all.  As with any mango, do not let them drop.  All that will do is cause damage to the fruit.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
thanks Rob,

I'm going to snippety snip one off asap...I'm salivating!

if u want a taste sensation, dice a suebell white sapote with a southern blush mango... I did this today and it was a most phenomenal fruit salad.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
thanks Rob,

if u want a taste sensation, dice a suebell white sapote with a southern blush mango... I did this today and it was a most phenomenal fruit salad.
I have plenty of very yummy Southern Blush...I am lacking a Suebell  :(
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »
any good whitesapote will suffice.

do u detect a coconut taste in Southern blush??

thanks Rob,

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 11:07:29 PM »
OK, OK I give up.  I just read this whole thread.  I've got to ask, bsbullie what mangos would you call excellent?  I bought a Pickering because of the great reviews and now you're telling me it's not great.  Hopefully I'll have some of he ones you consider excellent.

Bill
To ME, the following I would call "the best":  Mahachanok, Cushman, Mallika, Coconut Cream, Lemon Zest, Edward, Southern Blush, Dot, PPK/Lemon Meringue, Neelam and Tong Bi Con (based on the one I had tonight...the first one I ever tried).  There are also a number of varieties that fall just outside what I would consider "the best". 

Everybody, please read and let me clarify...I am giving MY opinion on them (and other varieties mentioned). Me saying they are not excellent in no way means that somebody else may think they are excellent (and again, they are good, just not what I would call excellent...if it make you feel better, to ME, they are MUCH better than a Carrie).  I am sure there are many varieties that I think are excellent that others don't.  What each person likes is 100% subjective, no right or wrong.  That is why it is routinely said to taste a mango first, when possible, before you buy it.  When that is not an option, you just have to go by what is said and written.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »

thanks Rob,

unfortunately I don't have any white sapote of any variety.

As to Southern Blush and coconut flavor.  I never thought of it so I just went and cut one...no coconut aroma but I do detect a coconut nuance in the taste.  Definitely more than in a Pickering.  Ironically I just ate my very first ever Tong Bi Con tonight, I detected a coconut nuance in that as well.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
great to hear I'm not imagining things!

thanks for info!

thanks Rob,

unfortunately I don't have any white sapote of any variety.

As to Southern Blush and coconut flavor.  I never thought of it so I just went and cut one...no coconut aroma but I do detect a coconut nuance in the taste.  Definitely more than in a Pickering.  Ironically I just ate my very first ever Tong Bi Con tonight, I detected a coconut nuance in that as well.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »
Do all pickering trees tend to exhibit this funny dimple?  I have one tree that does and one that doesn't.

The one with the dimple is my oldest and best producing tree...I only have two small trees to compare, so any feedback is appreciated..bullie, squam, pugluvr...thanks!

this tree with the dimple is the one that I've fed to people who say its not pickering.  I'm guessing it just taste different because I grow in greenhouse pretty much through winter...I had fruits to eat quite early as a result.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 11:36:17 PM »
Do all pickering trees tend to exhibit this funny dimple?  I have one tree that does and one that doesn't.

The one with the dimple is my oldest and best producing tree...I only have two small trees to compare, so any feedback is appreciated..bullie, squam, pugluvr...thanks!

this tree with the dimple is the one that I've fed to people who say its not pickering.  I'm guessing it just taste different because I grow in greenhouse pretty much through winter...I had fruits to eat quite early as a result.

Not sure about the actual dimple/hole but the shape, coloration, markings and beak all look like a Pickering.  From what I can see of the leaf, confirms Pickering also.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »
For eating quality, 'Pickering' is above average and 'Cogshall' is top rate.
Har

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »
mangomadman,

the oickeirngs taste different to my friends who've eaten them.  I've only had the ones from my two trees...the one tree that produced the most was nice and sweet(it has extended dimple), the normal shaped Pickering I had, made 4 fruits that came off just a tad too early, and were bland!  I'm sure that's all that happened in your case.

as for my perfectly ripe pickerings that have a different taste, I think it's due to my odd growing conditions.
Adam.  Is that oinkering or pigkering? :D

BTW great talk you gave at the Treasure Coast Rare Fruit club last week.  And the grafted Grimal is doing fine - got rid of the whiteflies too.

Dan
Dan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:49:25 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
For those lacking a white sapote (most of us?)  a sliced banana mixed with your mango is pretty darn good. But you have to eat it quickly.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
My few Glenns that have ripened have been excellent tasting...not bland or watered down at all...but I'm sure its most likely because we've not had as much rain as you guys in South FL.

With Tropical storm "Debby"  That of course is changing...we've had over 2" of rain yesterday and MORE is expected in the next few days. I'm guessing my Cogshall and Glenns might suffer a little in the flavor dept.  :(

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
netiher!  they are both quality mangos dont get me wrong but 2 of my favorite condo mangos that i like way better than cog and pick are the ice cream and alampur baneshan varieties!

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
BSBullie, thanks for the response.  When someone has tasted a lot of mangoes I always find it interesting what their favorites are.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk