Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183286 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #575 on: April 27, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
I found this laying under a holiday tree.  Didnt even know the tree was holding a fruit.  Annoying as it will probably be watery junk. Seems like it will be 10+ years before this holiday can hold a good crop.

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2019, 09:18:49 PM »
Immature holiday vs hass

Brad Spaugh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2019, 11:15:32 PM »
You might toss some 50% shade cloth over the ones that have lost a some of their leaves, because when avocados get sunburn they really struggle, then lose more leaves, and it's a downward spiral.  I've had bad luck with amended soil with avocados, because the roots don't really spread out properly from the amended area, but I guess you mixed it so maybe it'll be fine.

1.  Never amend backfill especially if your soil is heavy.  You create a non draining pot.   "Amend" from the top down with mulch.

2. For sunburn protection ditch the shade cloth and go smart - Surround spray.

FYI:

Just posted this planting guide in Central Texas Backyard Gardener's forum. --> "I love trees, probably planted 10,000 by hand around the house and the Xmas tree field since 2005. This was a hay field and now our backyard oaks and Bigtooth maples are large, many going 25 - 40' tall and quite broad. Here in Central Texas with our limestone clay based soils most folks fail by not using proper planting procedures, instead following label advice which is usually wrong. Being that I'm in heavy clay loam that DOES NOT drain internally, I fractured the bottom and sides of all my planting holes with one of the following - tractor pulled subsoiler, hand held pick ax, breaking bar. This breaks up the glazed clay sides and allows roots to find those fractures and quickly grow into native soil. I backfilled with native soil only, applied a handful of 12 mo. 18-4-9 Osmocote and mulched. The rootballs were treated with Mycorrhizae fungi drench at the time of planting. #1 and 2 pic is the large Shumard oak tree shown in the back left today. Was a pencil size, 2' tall seedling planted in May 2005 in clay muck. Our back yard is now a cool oasis. I also like fall color. "

Mark, what is a good price for Surround WP? I found it around $70 with shipping online, thanks.

Sounds high to me.  I ordered at a Crop Protection Systems  distributor now this https://www.nutrienagsolutions.com/ for around $42 delivered.  Probably one near you.

Yeah, called up local crop services and they are selling surround for $36.

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2019, 11:25:55 PM »
Currently have a sir prize, and lamb hass. My goal for my wife is to have varieties to cover her avocado addiction throughout the year

Now from my understanding
Lamb hass harvest is summer to fall
Sir prize is late fall to winter
Please correct me if you have any different experience growing these in SoCal. Now I am I'm search of avocado varieties with a winter to spring since I have summer to winter covered
 Does anyone have any recommendations. We currently have our eyes set on Gem so far.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 27, 2019, 11:39:27 PM »
Currently have a sir prize, and lamb hass. My goal for my wife is to have varieties to cover her avocado addiction throughout the year

Now from my understanding
Lamb hass harvest is summer to fall
Sir prize is late fall to winter
Please correct me if you have any different experience growing these in SoCal. Now I am I'm search of avocado varieties with a winter to spring since I have summer to winter covered
 Does anyone have any recommendations. We currently have our eyes set on Gem so far.

Lamb is summer/fall but sir prize is more of a late winter/spring.

Bacon is the best thing going in November/december.  They arent amazing but honegrown bacon is not bad.

The UC says sharwill will hang for 12 months starting April to April.  I havent verified that but if true it alone will do year round avocados.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:44:22 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 28, 2019, 12:31:39 AM »
Do you know which UC made those claims about the sharwil? If it is true then that would be amazing, if the fruit isnt great then I dont think it's worth it. It would be like have a tree full of crap year round ling lol.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 28, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Do you know which UC made those claims about the sharwil? If it is true then that would be amazing, if the fruit isnt great then I dont think it's worth it. It would be like have a tree full of crap year round ling lol.

Sharwil is excellent fruit or it wouldn't be Hawaii's main cash cropper.  Plans are to expand the orchards and processing plants.  Small seed is a big bonus.

Bacon is the best thing going in November/december.  They arent amazing but honegrown bacon is not bad.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 28, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
does anyone is calif. have the sharwil that has been fruiting that can confirm if the RIPE FRUIT hangs on the tree for a year?? i only know 1 person with a tree and all of his fruit FALL WHEN RIPE he is in la mesa

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 28, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
does anyone is calif. have the sharwil that has been fruiting that can confirm if the RIPE FRUIT hangs on the tree for a year?? i only know 1 person with a tree and all of his fruit FALL WHEN RIPE he is in la mesa

I think Julie Frink created this document.  It shows sharwil as being ripe march to march and states "its the longest hanging avocado" down in the section about if I could only have one. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s46Wp0xUMscCvQ2wn78aeAFhhXIUpNB7/view?usp=drivesdk

I seriously hope they dont fall off easily as Im planting lots of these trees.

Of the trees I have that produce fruit, currently lamb hass and reed seem to hang the longest.  The problem is the seeds sprout and roots start going in the fruit by October.  Reed usually just sprouts a little taproot straight down which is not a big deal.  But my lamb fruits will have lots of spreading roots that ruin the fruit if left on the tree too long.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »
If that link doesnt work for you guys and girls please let me know and I will post one that does.
Brad Spaugh

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #585 on: April 28, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
I would agree with the taste assessment of Bacon in that doc: fair...

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 28, 2019, 11:46:30 AM »
I grafted a holiday(purchased from CRFG club sale) to my big seedling tree and after 2 yrs it only had 2 fruits on the branch. But when the fruit was fully ripe I was surprised at the good taste of the holiday.
Only problem with this tree is as you mentioned, it weeps so the tree branches are not strong. I ended up replacing it with another variety.

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 28, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
Spaugh, that was an interesting read. I am curious as to why they recommended holiday over sharwil when they say that sharwil has the longest hold time.

Would be nice if other people can confirm with their own experiences with these varieties.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 28, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
I have no idea why they like holiday, its a worthless tree IMO.   

If you want to put in a tree and wait 10 years for it to size up and give a decent crop it might be ok.  If you actually want your tree to grow and make loads of avocados, pretty much anything is better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:15:27 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 28, 2019, 12:27:58 PM »
I have no idea why they like holiday, its a worthless tree IMO.   

If you want to put in a tree and wait 10 years for it to size up and give a decent crop it might be ok.  If you actually want your tree to grow and make loads of avocados, pretty much anything is better.
this post made me instantly regret my holiday. Lol.. :(
-Kris

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 28, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »
My tree in Nipomo requires more staking than others, but fruit is large and quite good.  For me, it's a keeper.
My Murietta Green variety (grandparent) lacks vigor, but Holiday does fine.  Needs whitewash to prevent sunburn due to weeping habit.

XX3 (Holiday)   (Guat) 18-28 oz. fruit, pear shaped, green, dark yellow flesh, excellent flavor, medium pit, peels easily, glossy leaves, persea mite and thrip resistant, small tree with skirting shape, A blossom type. Produces well. Fruit is hidden inside tree. Holds well. Tree should be made available to the home gardener for it has the best fruit for a small tree that I am familiar with &is better that any available at nurseries at this time. Several trees at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. (J.R.Frink 1998)This is a "grandchild" of the old "Murrieta Green" variety, which had a green, good-quality fruit, commercially too large; on a tree that was short & spreading-easy to pick,& to spray if necessary. XX3 is a good producer of rather similar large, fine, green fruits. The tree is almost unique among thousands of seedlings in that it tends to sprawl on the ground. This latter trait rules it out commercially-plus the over-sized fruit. Commercially, XX3 is without value. But, for backyard purposes it might be useful in CA. An avocado tree that remains very low could be desirable where a view, or sunlight transmission, is wanted; or, it could be grown on a (sturdy) fence. The green skin would be no detriment, & the large fruit size could be a non-commercial advantage. (Bergh 2000)

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #591 on: April 28, 2019, 02:01:20 PM »
A little off-topic, but any chance we could get an Avocado section/board/whatever instead of having endless threads?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 29, 2019, 12:31:41 AM »
I figured I would post this in the avo thread because this pest most often affects is the persea.
http://gregalder.com/yardposts/who-is-eating-holes-in-your-avocado-leaves/

I don't have Persea yet, but they are eating my myrtales (feijoa, guava, cherry of the rio grande, syzigium) back to sticks.

I have some spinosad that I can use if it is effective. Has anyone here had success controlling these pests?

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 29, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
You might toss some 50% shade cloth over the ones that have lost a some of their leaves, because when avocados get sunburn they really struggle, then lose more leaves, and it's a downward spiral.  I've had bad luck with amended soil with avocados, because the roots don't really spread out properly from the amended area, but I guess you mixed it so maybe it'll be fine.

1.  Never amend backfill especially if your soil is heavy.  You create a non draining pot.   "Amend" from the top down with mulch.

2. For sunburn protection ditch the shade cloth and go smart - Surround spray.

FYI:

Just posted this planting guide in Central Texas Backyard Gardener's forum. --> "I love trees, probably planted 10,000 by hand around the house and the Xmas tree field since 2005. This was a hay field and now our backyard oaks and Bigtooth maples are large, many going 25 - 40' tall and quite broad. Here in Central Texas with our limestone clay based soils most folks fail by not using proper planting procedures, instead following label advice which is usually wrong. Being that I'm in heavy clay loam that DOES NOT drain internally, I fractured the bottom and sides of all my planting holes with one of the following - tractor pulled subsoiler, hand held pick ax, breaking bar. This breaks up the glazed clay sides and allows roots to find those fractures and quickly grow into native soil. I backfilled with native soil only, applied a handful of 12 mo. 18-4-9 Osmocote and mulched. The rootballs were treated with Mycorrhizae fungi drench at the time of planting. #1 and 2 pic is the large Shumard oak tree shown in the back left today. Was a pencil size, 2' tall seedling planted in May 2005 in clay muck. Our back yard is now a cool oasis. I also like fall color. "

Mark, what is a good price for Surround WP? I found it around $70 with shipping online, thanks.

Sounds high to me.  I ordered at a Crop Protection Systems  distributor now this https://www.nutrienagsolutions.com/ for around $42 delivered.  Probably one near you.
I ended up buying two 25lb bags of Surround for $55 shipped from Keystone Pest Solutions before I saw this reply.  Mark, I noticed a large number of negative reviews have to do with this product clogging up the spray nozzles of the applicator.  Do you have any tips or can you recommend a sprayer for this stuff?  I'm going to try and perform a few surgical applications to my burning trees to hopefully protect the topside of their exposed branches w/out making the entire tree (leaves and all) look like it's living under the fallout of a nuclear blast.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 01, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
I figured I would post this in the avo thread because this pest most often affects is the persea.

Albeit expensive, nothing beats Forbid 4F for mite control and whiteflies - all families, all stages of development.  1/8 tsp/gal.  That's right, that's all you need.  Translaminar (meaning you can spray one side and it goes thru), pests can't become resistant to it because it's not a poison, not a pesticide.  No, it's not labeled for consumables but that doesn't mean squat.

I recently sprayed all my mangos, a few avocados and annonas with a mix of Pristine (mango disease control), Forbid 4F (mites on the mangos), Adonis 75 WSP, NIS (surfactant) and added a little high N food (for enhanced uptake).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:06:59 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 01, 2019, 08:06:03 AM »
I ended up buying two 25lb bags of Surround for $55 shipped from Keystone Pest Solutions before I saw this reply.  Mark, I noticed a large number of negative reviews have to do with this product clogging up the spray nozzles of the applicator.  Do you have any tips or can you recommend a sprayer for this stuff?  I'm going to try and perform a few surgical applications to my burning trees to hopefully protect the topside of their exposed branches w/out making the entire tree (leaves and all) look like it's living under the fallout of a nuclear blast.

Wow, that's enough for all of San Diego and tijuana combined!  For small projects I use a commercial hand held qt. sprayer, kind you find at Sam's Club or a janitor supply company.  Best 4 gal. backpack I've bought and have used for many years is a Smith brand.  Lifetime warranty. Didn't need it but I asked for one of those fancy brass nozzles with a new spray wand and got it free within a week.

Clogging is probably a case of dummy error.  :)  I've mixed up a qt. batch, sprayed, let it sit for weeks, sprayed....no problem.

And when you need the big gun.....  ;)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:09:50 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 01, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »
Willus I was wondering what you would do with 50lbs of surround also.

Mark I tried the tsp per gallon you mentioned in the past and its not enough.  The directions say 6-9 cups per gallon.  I mixed it half strength what the directions said and it works ok.  Still not super good coverage.  I have the stuff in a gallon sprayer.  It seperates out of the water after sitting.  You can just shake it up again and its good to go weeks later.  Doesnt seem to clog my cheap sprayer.

For bark, it doesnt seem to cover as well as regular paint.  Im still painting branches with latex.  Planning on using surround on exposed fruits and on small trees if we get crazy heat/wind. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:42:31 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 01, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
Thanks Mark/Brad-

Brad, wasn't tsp/gal in reference to miticide comment from Mark's previous post?  UPS says I will get my bags today, so I'll try and spray my Avocado Side-yard project trees this afternoon.  You're using ~7.5 cups per gal?  I'm hoping in addition to sun protection, that this stuff will also help with the bugs.  They like to chew on my fresh avocado leaves.  I still have to head out in the dark to see if the June bugs someone posted about above are in effect already.

One other question/concern I had was whether the surround coating will occlude some (or too much) of the light getting to the leaves.  If so, this would probably not be a great idea to spray on the top half of the leaves on my trees that get limited light (side of house).

I'm debating whether to spray my other fruit trees: apple, fig, peach, citrus, blueberry bushes, etc.  I'd be curious to hear folks' opinions as to those targets and the benefits (or lack there of) w/ the surround clay.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 01, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
Whats your goal with the surround?  I checked the weather in sacramento and its 70s and 80s for the forseeable future.  This is perfect weather to make avocado trees flush.  I would think covering them with surround now would be a mistake.

Mark has mentioned a spoonful per gal in the past.  I thik I used 4 or 5 cups per gal.  The instructions say .5 to 1 lbs per gal or 6-9 cups I believe.  Would have to double check to be sure.  I tried using less just to play around with it a little to test. 

It will block light, its white and white reflects light.  It will work to shield your trees in a heat wave.  But then it sticks to the leaves and doesnt come off easily.  If you have large trees, its gonna be there for a long time.  It doesnt wash off, you have to get it wet and rub it off.  I think its a good thing to use in case of emergency, otherwise not worth the mess and the blocking of light etc.  My advice is just experiment a little with it and dont go out and coat your whole yard the first time you use it.  The other thing is you will get the best coverage if you have a sprayer that makes really fine mist.  Like a backpack sprayer.  My little hand held 1 gal sprayer makes too large of droplets and the surround doesnt get applied evenly.  With a backpack sprayer and a nice nozzle you can keep the pressure up and get a good constant mist. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:12:43 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 01, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
Wise suggestions Brad.  I'll try and take is slow and perform "micro-coats", particularly on the branches, doing my best to limit  exposure on the leaves (if that's possible).  Here are some updated pics of my front-yard trees (2 of 3).  One of the three seems to be recovering and pushing out new growth (last set of pics), however the first two are still struggling.  I've no sense of new growth, and one has very yellow limbs showing.  :(