Author Topic: Biriba (Rollinia deliciosa) seeds  (Read 1887 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Biriba (Rollinia deliciosa) seeds
« on: July 08, 2018, 02:07:48 AM »
I received some seeds of biriba from Brazil.  They were posted on June 18th.  I received them on July 6th.  Almost 20 days in transit.  These seeds are supposed to have a very short viability.  I immediately soaked them overnight and am planning to soak them further for another day.  Are they still viable? 

Another question is about a quarter of the seeds were split.  I'm sure these would never grow.  But, I have soaked them anyway.  Any reason why they split?

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
Re: Biriba (Rollinia deliciosa) seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 02:40:28 AM »
In my opnion, Rollinia still viable.

I also received seed after a month, it already sprouted in a week.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 02:59:31 AM »
Thank you very much for the assuring reply.  But, I feel the split seeds will not sprout.  What about you?

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 05:00:09 AM »
Rollinia germinate very easily, im sure you won’t have any trouble.
I usually put the seeds in a zip lock bag with lightly moistened coconut coir. 100 % germination every time.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
Give them a try and wait. What do you have to lose? Keep track of the split seeds it will be interesting
to see the results of split seeds vs non split seeds. Some Annona seeds it is recommended
to scarify the seeds? If the embryos are not harmed they may germinate easier?
I received some purple sugar apple seeds from 2017 and I did the same as you.
I soaked for 24 hours and half of the seeds sunk. I planted those and put the others in
a baggie with damp vermiculite. So far one has sprung up.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Did any of the floating seeds sprout?  Three quarter of the seeds I received are floating.  Only a few have sunk so far :(

Give them a try and wait. What do you have to lose? Keep track of the split seeds it will be interesting
to see the results of split seeds vs non split seeds. Some Annona seeds it is recommended
I soaked for 24 hours and half of the seeds sunk. I planted those and put the others in

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Did any of the floating seeds sprout?  Three quarter of the seeds I received are floating.  Only a few have sunk so far :(

The one seed that germinated was a sinker
I just received the seeds so I will have to report later. I have heard from other forum members
that Annona seeds can still be viable when they float? I have had Anonna seeds take over 6 months to
germinate.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:15:25 PM by achetadomestica »

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 07:41:10 AM »
This is just for the information of other members who might be in the same predicament as me when they encounter so many floating seeds.  I soaked the seeds for almost 3 days changing the water twice daily.  While, three quarter of the seeds were initially floating, on the third day, almost all sank.  I have since planted all of them including the split ones.  Will update if and when they sprout.

Debsied

• Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 12:39:41 PM »
I just received some Rollinea seeds from Thailand and some from Costa Rica.  Both were in transit for about a month.  I have been soaking them for a few hours and they are so far all floating.  I wondered what were the results of members here who planted seeds which initially floated.  I planned on planting them in regular potting soil.  I'm not sure if I can get hold of coconut coir.  Is this critical for success?

Thank you!