Author Topic: Artocarpus Camansi  (Read 3417 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Artocarpus Camansi
« on: October 04, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREADNUT-BREADFRUIT-TREE-SEEDLING-ARTOCARPUS-CAMANSI-TROPICAL-/180968642923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2292596b

The said he is certain it is Artocarpus Camansi, but I'm skeptical he is just trying to pass off a seeded Artocarpus altilis.

What do you guys think?
- David Antonio Garcia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Artocarpus Camansi
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
It is all to do with where you draw the line between the 2.How few seeds should it have before it gets called breadfruit instead of breadnut.Both are really variable and can look like that.You can be pretty sure it is from eastern NG or adjacent melanesia.It is not from the NE population where A.mairianus is hybridized in to make breadfruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREADNUT-BREADFRUIT-TREE-SEEDLING-ARTOCARPUS-CAMANSI-TROPICAL-/180968642923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2292596b

The said he is certain it is Artocarpus Camansi, but I'm skeptical he is just trying to pass off a seeded Artocarpus altilis.

What do you guys think?

David, the photo on that site is certainly breadfrut, not camansi. These two fruits look totally different. You have to be blind not to notice the difference. Even blind person could notice short spikes on exterior of camansi fruits:
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »

What do you guys think?

David, the photo on that site is certainly breadfrut, not camansi. These two fruits look totally different. You have to be blind not to notice the difference. Even blind person could notice short spikes on exterior of camansi fruits:

Thanks Oscar,

Now I'll know for future reference!
- David Antonio Garcia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »
Oscar I think this was discussed before and put aside as 'contraversial'. Those are 2 examples of a big range and there are many in between.Less prickly breadnuts and rougher breadfruit are around.While you are likely to be correct, seeded breadfruit and smooth breadnut make it a challenge without having it cut.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
You know I just realized,

Oscar's purple fur cloth has held more amazing tropical fruits than most of us will in our lifetime.

Maybe you can cut off a small piece and sell it to me (much like a green prosperity handkerchief) and it can be my point of contact.  ;D

http://www.donstewartassociation.org/images/photo457.jpg

Mod edit: No hotlinking images.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:14:59 AM by murahilin »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
Oscar I think this was discussed before and put aside as 'contraversial'. Those are 2 examples of a big range and there are many in between.Less prickly breadnuts and rougher breadfruit are around.While you are likely to be correct, seeded breadfruit and smooth breadnut make it a challenge without having it cut.

Mike, you are really busy thinking of counter examples. True you can always find one in the world of plants. But for most people that don't dash around Palau or Marianna Islands every day, and are lucky to see one breadfruit during most of their lives, that will be what most breadfruits and breadnuts look like.
BTW, how many crosses with mariannensis have you seen? That is one i've never seen myself.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
You know I just realized,

Oscar's purple fur cloth has held more amazing tropical fruits than most of us will in our lifetime.

Maybe you can cut off a small piece and sell it to me (much like a green prosperity handkerchief) and it can be my point of contact.  ;D

http://www.donstewartassociation.org/images/photo457.jpg

Good idea Adam. Maybe i'll auction them off on eBay. Then will you be wondering why people payed so much for them?  ::) Much more precious than any figs!  :)

Mod edit: Removed hotlinked image from quote
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:15:31 AM by murahilin »
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »
Oscar not that busy, it just comes to me.I'll tone it down and not counter argue to excess any more.

I have seen a few of the mairianus crosses with philippine people in the past and a tree at Mossman and one in Gordonvale.That was more than 5 years ago for all of them.NG people seem to have breadnut a bit and I have not seen them quite as prickly as yours.The new britian,bouganville and that area people seem to prefer seeded breadfruit so they are in the markets a bit.Polynesian people like samoan,tongan and cook island folk in this area have classic seedless breadfruit.The farms have the polynesian types.I posted a pic before of a broadleafed breadnut tree in the park that has pretty smooth fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
Saff if you are thinking about becoming a man of the cloth, you better check whether rollinia murals are acceptable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk