Author Topic: Top tier selections of Opuntia sp. Waiting list. Please post under here for add.  (Read 33002 times)

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
kinda off topic but how do you guys harvest the fruits? No matter how much I try to avoid the thorns, I always end up getting pricked on my hands and sometimes even my lips when I eat them.
I usually use tongs to remove the fruit from the pad. I then grab a long knife. I hold the fruit down with the tongs with one hand then use my other hand to grab the knife and cut the fruit. I work on removing the outer layer of skin and bam, it should peel off. Don't forget to compost the outer skin!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:27:57 AM by Xeno »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
The Powder Canyon tail in Rowland Heights has opuntia covering a good portion of the hillside. I want to try some of the fruits. What time do they normally ripen? I will take gloves, knife, and plastic bucket. Anything I'm missing?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
kinda off topic but how do you guys harvest the fruits? No matter how much I try to avoid the thorns, I always end up getting pricked on my hands and sometimes even my lips when I eat them.
I usually use tongs to remove the fruit from the pad. I then grab a long knife. I hold the fruit down with the tongs with one hand then use my fedd hand to grab the knife and cut the fruit. I work on removing the outer layer of skin and bam, it should peel off. Don't forget to compost the outer skin!
, and the fruit last longer. Nice description, I love eating them right away like that :). Skins are nice though since it keeps the fruit flies etc away.

I want to try this exact method for table fruit keeping. Heat knife for the cut, with light burn off of glochids around the fruit. Wash with cool water, then scrub with coarse cloth.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The Powder Canyon tail in Rowland Heights has opuntia covering a good portion of the hillside. I want to try some of the fruits. What time do they normally ripen? I will take gloves, knife, and plastic bucket. Anything I'm missing?

They start ripening around June and last until Fall. Some will hold the fruit perfectly intact until Winter. If the fruits are any good it wont stay on the plants when ripe, those critters are keen to good fruit. I have noticed certain Opuntia sp. populations having its fruit cleared out in a matter of days, while other native Opuntia sp. remain untouched.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:21:19 AM by nullzero »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Great. I will go try some when the time comes. I don't like SoCal hiking because it's so dry and there's no fruits along the path, no mushrooms to pick, no herbal tea shops at the top of hills.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Great. I will go try some when the time comes. I don't like SoCal hiking because it's so dry and there's no fruits along the path, no mushrooms to pick, no herbal tea shops at the top of hills.

Fyliu,

You have to go hiking more in SoCal  :'(. There are some beautiful trees with edible plants and herbs. I got a great unique smelling wild mint from Malibu area trails. Some of my favorite areas are around King's Canyon though, tons of fruit and edible species if you know what to look for. Thimble berries are so tasty  ;D.

*Getting off topic*

Anyway back to the pads.... I am going to work on getting some together in about 2-3 weeks. Will give an update later.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
Ain't no rush to do mine Null. My cactus pad that I took from my girlfriends dad house is starting to sprout. I'm sure it would have sprouted much quicker but my pad is in 80% shade. I'd take photos but my camera is dead.

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
I find this interesting,  when I was little Tuna's (as called by hispanics) were eaten often! Memories of being a kid at flea markets and having fresh tuna's YUM! Good stuff. Used to love to pick them too but hated the stickers.. AGONY!  I've heard there is a "thornless" variety of tuna. ( most likely less thorns?)  That one might be easier to grow!   Last year I saw beautiful colorful tunas at home depot but didn't care for their 25 dollar price tag or their long thorns!

https://www.google.com/search?q=colorful+tunas&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS456US456&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=i6JKUYGjC4LjiALT-4C4BA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=910&bih=416#hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS456US456&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=purple+opuntia&oq=purple+opu&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24.7714.12516.2.14433.27.17.1.2.2.6.126.1273.13j3.16.0...0.0...1c.1.7.img.A80ETmdVQM4&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.cGE&fp=be95c7dfe387d9c4&biw=910&bih=416

Joshua_TX

• Zone 9a South Central Texas
    • View Profile
Hi Null,

I'm interested in a pad of Torrance PCH#1 and Jeronimo M.V.

Thanks.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I got 8 pads today for Torrance PCH #1. Next week I will get about the same amount from Jeronimo M.V. So in another week I should be able to send 8 pads of each one out. Going over list of first 8 posts. The next batch may take a while, since I am in the process of moving.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Pads will be ready for the first 7 people next week. Paypal can be used for payment, upon payment pads will be shipped out. I am going to research the shipping costs, the pads are on the larger side so shipping can be up to $20, hopefully much lower though. Pads are $4 each. Pick up can also be arranged. So far this is what I have please confirm;

The pad list;

Rtreid: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1
edself65: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1, (1) P.V. Spineless #1
Davidgarcia899: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1, (1) P.V. Spineless #1
cbss_daviefl: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1
Natsgarden123: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1, (1) P.V. Spineless #1 (confirm if you want P.V. Spineless, you stated a few pads)
fyliu: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1
Jsvand5: (1) Jeronimo M.V., (1) Torrance PCH#1, (1) P.V. Spineless #1

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I'm amazed at the work you're doing with Opuntia--an under-appreciated fruit, for sure!  But what's going to happen when you move to Florida?
John

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Looks good. Let me know how much it is when you find out. I'll PM you my address.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Looks good. I would imagine USPS flat rate boxes would be the cheapest way to go.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Looks good. I would imagine USPS flat rate boxes would be the cheapest way to go.

I was planning to use USPS flat rate. But I am not sure if the preset boxes would fit some of these pads.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
First batch of pads is going out after lunch. Sending messages to everyone who will get one shipped today with cost to cover shipping + pads.

natsgarden123

Im planning to grow these in pots; any instructions?

thanks   :)

Nat

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Im planning to grow these in pots; any instructions?

thanks   :)

Nat

Start them out in a 3-5 gal container. Use a nice draining mix. The cactus mix sold at big box stores and nurseries should be fine. Otherwise, I like using the following mix. 3 parts pine bark / 1 part coco coir / 1 part perlite. A modified Al's gritty mix should bring excellent results, link to more info on gritty mix: http://www.etenix.com/gardening/grittymix

Water pads lightly about 1-2 times a week. Make sure the mix is never soggy only damp. Rooting should take place over the period of 2-5 weeks. Once rooted pads can take more water as long as temperatures are warm.

During long periods with lack of precipitation, I will water once a month in cooler parts of the year and bi weekly during hotter parts of the year. However, you can get away with no water the whole year if pads are rooted into the ground. In Florida summer watering should only be done with light applications of fertilizer.

What I use and recommend is sea kelp powder/humic acid mix and fish emulsion used bi weekly during active pad growth. Use diluted amounts about a tsp. of each per gallon. When pads get bigger I up the amount to 1 tbsp. of each and add 1 tbsp. of rock phosphate.

If you are harvesting for fresh eating pads, its recommended to cut them when they are still tender in the late spring to early summer. Pads should be slightly larger then a 7" tablet and have the thickness of less then a 1/2", they should show a new bright green growth coloration and texture.

Flower and fruiting starts in May and will continue into late Fall depending on climatic conditions and selection. After flowering stage I like to withhold water and nutrients so the fruit will use more of the pads water and nutrients (should in theory increase flavor and brix). In a container it may be beneficial to put a plastic covering over the container to block some of the water, I know Florida can get quite a lot of rain during the summer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:55:37 AM by nullzero »

natsgarden123

Here they are - looking great.  I'm planning on putting them in the ground, eventually. How long can they stay in the 3 gallon pots?

Nat

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Here they are - looking great.  I'm planning on putting them in the ground, eventually. How long can they stay in the 3 gallon pots?

Nat

Nat,

Looking great! I count 9 developing fruits on Jeronimo MV? Are you fertilizing the pads? I would recommend using some kelp powder and some natural phosphorus fertilizer right about now, use half strength weekly. The rooted pads should be fully receptive to some fertilizer applications. You can stop fertilizing when the fruits start to swell and change color.

Between the rain water and fertilizer schedule, I think you can get a nice harvest of +1LB (I don't know currently know any other fruiting plants which will put out fruit yields of Opuntia sp. in a 3 gal container). You can keep it in a 3 gal container for quite a while, especially if you root prune at least 1 time a year. I would say 2 years for a 3 gal should be fine. You could potentially keep it for a very long time in a 10 gal container, as long as you pad trim.

I am very impressed with Jeronimo MV, but it does not surprise me. Because I made the selections in a 50% shaded area through out the day. So when it gets that full tropic sun, ample water, and fertilizer... it really starts to shine!

BTW, take some good photo journals. In the future you may want to slightly thin the fruit if it gets so large that it rubs up against the fruit next to it. This will ensure that fruit damage from wind and rot (water build up stuck between the squished fruits). I am not sure yet if this will be an issue, because the spacing on the mother plants fruit was good. However the mother plant was in a shaded location that had less production. This may not be an issue, so I would let it grow out and see how it turns out.

*Wanted to say for all those who have not gotten pads yet, I have not forgot. I have been very busy and unable to get the pads atm due to moving (all the plants etc. everything :(). By the fall of this year, things should be looking better and I will be able to send out some pads.*
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:51:25 PM by nullzero »

natsgarden123

The fruits are ripe- and they are full of seeds, not very sweet. Did I do something worng?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The fruits are ripe- and they are full of seeds, not very sweet. Did I do something worng?

Nat which one was it (MV?) Flavor can be affected by water amount, but the seedy part is not what the fruit was from the mother plant (at least proportional to size, if you have smaller then average fruit the seed amount can stay relatively the same but have a higher density due to lack of flesh of a full size fruit).

The fruit may possibly have also have more seeds maybe from a stress response? (but who really knows, need another season or two to really evaluate) Very sorry to hear, perhaps give it another chance next year and the crop may improve with establishment of root system.

As always these are experiments in a higher humidity climate, so plant response may change. Did you end up blending the fruit and the seeds? (If the flavor was lacking at least you could enjoy the health benefits of the fruit and seeds).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:32:53 PM by nullzero »

natsgarden123

Nat which one was it (MV?) Flavor can be affected by water amount, but the seedy part is not what the fruit was from the mother plant (at least proportional to size, if you have smaller then average fruit the seed amount can stay relatively the same but have a higher density due to lack of flesh of a full size fruit).

The fruit may possibly have also have more seeds maybe from a stress response? (but who really knows, need another season or two to really evaluate) Very sorry to hear, perhaps give it another chance next year and the crop may improve with establishment of root system.

As always these are experiments in a higher humidity climate, so plant response may change. Did you end up blending the fruit and the seeds? (If the flavor was lacking at least you could enjoy the health benefits of the fruit and seeds).

Thanks for the info- I didnt label them so Im not sure which one it is- its a yellow fruit.

Ive had these in pots with a mix of bagged potting soil and a large amount of perlite- so its pretty dry. I grow plants for looks so even if the fruit never tastes good,  the plant itself is really cool.

The other one has one fruit on it, not yet ripe- Ill see how that one tastes

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info- I didnt label them so Im not sure which one it is- its a yellow fruit.

Ive had these in pots with a mix of bagged potting soil and a large amount of perlite- so its pretty dry. I grow plants for looks so even if the fruit never tastes good,  the plant itself is really cool.

The other one has one fruit on it, not yet ripe- Ill see how that one tastes

The skin color should be orange or red depending if its Torrance PCH#1 (RED) or Jeronimo M.V. (Orange). If its PV spineless the fruit can be yellow/orange (I have not verified the quality of the fruit on this one, only that the animals seem to like it a lot).

The one with (1) fruit on it sounds like Torrance PCH#1, the fruit should ripen in the fall into winter. I can verify that the quality of the fruit is very good on that one at least a 7.5-8.0 on my rating. Btw, the cactus pads are very good prepared as well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:25:05 AM by nullzero »

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Hi,
I would like to know if this offer is still valid or not.  8)
Moh'd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk