Author Topic: Too Late for Mango Rebloom?  (Read 4505 times)

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
Too Late for Mango Rebloom?
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »
Last night in Golden Gate Estates we got down to 34.7 with a total of six and a half hours below 40 degrees. Very likely the small fruit on my trees will drop. Is it too late to hope for rebloom?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Too Late for Mango Rebloom?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
No not too late.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
No not too late.
Last night in Golden Gate Estates we got down to 34.7 with a total of six and a half hours below 40 degrees. Very likely the small fruit on my trees will drop. Is it too late to hope for rebloom?

My over 10 foot tall x 10 ft wide Philippean mango tree is still dormant and I'm hoping for a late bloom & crop from it. Last summer it had a large late crop going July- August and the mangos were much better than the year before when the crop came months earlier. Then again, it might skip a year after the heavy harvest last year; and that would also be ok.

All of my other trees have bloomed to an extent that produced last year, except for my Sweettart tree that I bought grafted and produced about 6 fruit last year and it is only about 8 foot tall. It is presently simi dormant also with no vegatative or bloom growth for this year.

Many of my small LZ's and the sweettart mentioned above etc. I had removed most of the leaves before last years hurricaine and that may have suppressed the early bloom or vegatative growth... just a guess as the trees are still thin with smaller leaves than before the hurricaine and appear mainly dormant with minimum to no early spring growth.....

My largest tree with 4 varieties grafted has previously been loaded with fruit like 4 years in a row. But as of today, the main graft Haden is the only one that has bloomed and set fruit. It looks like my Edward and Sweettart graft are going to produce vegatative at least so far. The big surprise is the largest graft is a Keitt and it is so far only vegatative with no blooms and it has always fruited heavy in prior years(many other Keitt trees in yard have small fruit sets).

My Okrung mango tree produced almost no fruit last year vs. the year before and it was an earlier crop than the previous year. The quality of last years early crop okrung was poor vs. the year before. I have a loaded crop of small bb's and am hoping for a later sweet crop as I have found my later crops usually being sweeter on most of my mangos.

Florigon also produced no fruit last year vs. year before. This year the small 8 foot tree is loaded.

My other trees Keitt/Carrie/Glen/ etc. etc. etc. are all blooming with small fruit sets.

Tebow/Young grafts produced zero fruit last year vs. year before. This year heavy load on two trees I grafted.
________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________
I saw your info for location saying United States so I googled (before reading markinNAPLES) for Golden Gate Estates and picked up an interesting old rant about the subdivision.

https://simplify3.wordpress.com/2007/02/21/golden-gate-estates-nefarious-history/
Most of the lots were sold by 1965, but unsuspecting buyers still get suckered into paying over $15,000 for a lot worth about $3,000.

It's funny reading it today and saying, Now Who Got Suckered? With land values priced today vs. 1965...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:57:49 PM by palmcity »

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
I've been wondering about this myself ...we've had a nice couple weeks of cooler temps especially for this time of year ... half of my large nam doc is still asleep (the other half is fruiting) hopefully this helps push out some late blooms.
always longing for a JA Julie

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »
I saw your info for location saying United States so I googled (before reading markinNAPLES) for Golden Gate Estates and picked up an interesting old rant about the subdivision.

https://simplify3.wordpress.com/2007/02/21/golden-gate-estates-nefarious-history/
Most of the lots were sold by 1965, but unsuspecting buyers still get suckered into paying over $15,000 for a lot worth about $3,000.

It's funny reading it today and saying, Now Who Got Suckered? With land values priced today vs. 1965...

In a similar vein I have an old newspaper from about 1970. It has a full one page advertisement with Johnny Carson appearing in person in Coral Springs, Florida to promote and sell houses in a development. If I find it I will scan and post it. So Johnny was out there hustling for extra $$$ besides hosting the Late Show.

Coral Springs is the  town just south of Parkland with the tragic high school shootings.

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
"Most of the lots were sold by 1965, but unsuspecting buyers still get suckered into paying over $15,000 for a lot worth about $3,000.
It's funny reading it today and saying, Now Who Got Suckered? With land values priced today vs. 1965..."

Of course even today not all lots here are the same. It is very important before buying in Golden Gate Estates to have an environmental assessment on the lot a buyer is considering. Many lots are 80-100% wetland and very often even the person who has held the lot for 30 or more years doesn't even know. You can make a guess by the vegetation even from the satellite view (pines vs cypress), but it is still important to get a professional opinion.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
There are accurate flood maps online too.  They were updated not too long ago.  Most of my 2.5 acres is in 1% flood (AKA 100 year flood zone), but was under 8"-9" of water for about 2 weeks after Irma, then soggy for at least another week.  You sure learn which trees can withstand a flood and which can't.  I need to write it down for the record. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
My ndm, Kent, and rapoza are all pushing new flowers probably as a result of the cold March. I hope this gives me mangoes into September.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »

Walked around the yard this morning to see my Lemon Meringue tree pushing flowers. First time that it has had two blooms in a season.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
I have a lot of new blooms. Pretty amazing. This might be the first time I've had blooms this late in the season. We're only 2 days away from April!
Jeff  :-)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
Same, nam doc and maha are pushing new blooms as we speak.
always longing for a JA Julie

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
Just noticed come new blooms on Madame Francis.  YAY!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »

The following varieties in my yard are pushing flowers.

Carrie - third bloom of the season, Lemon Meringue (second ), Ugly Betty (third),  Sunrise (second)   

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
As of today
Fairchild-pushing fourth bloom, first was in early November only one panicle
Nam doc mai #4-pushing a mixed bloom
Coconut cream-looks like a mixed bloom,first time flowering
Cogshall-dormant? Flowered like crazy last year but I removed all baby fruits
Mallika-buds swelling,neighbors is blooming
Sweet tart-swollen buds
Cotton candy-dormant
Lemon zest-pushing 2nd bloom. First riddled with powdery mildew.
Lemon meringue-dormant
Choc anon-pushing 2nd bloom
Carrie,ice cream,cac and fruit punch bloomed in February.
Pickering is still sleeping
Lil gem flushed growth in march

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
Wasn’t expecting anything else to flower but seen my Venus flowering again. Hoping these panicles don’t get destroyed by powdery mildew like all the flowers before
Sergio

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
looks like coconut cream, glenn, lemon zest, and NDM are all flowering again. assuming the flowers translate into fruitlets it should be an extended harvest which is nice.

will hopefully do a better job with sulphur and MKP application to control the powdery mildew. lemon zest and NDM both got hit hard previously but are bith holding lots of fruit.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 06:29:57 AM »
I posted a few weeks ago the same issue with my Zills LZ and CC, since every mango tree in the area had huge blooms for over a month. Just after that my buds swelled and are beginning to push out several blooms. I thought I was the unlucky one. Except during the last month or so we have had an u usual cold front come thru and several days of wind about 15 knots. I might be the lucky one with the late blooms!!  :)

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
8-9 year old seedling starting to bloom again!! (This the 4-5 time!! Practically every month that we’ve a cold front, so since November!!!) And it’s holding lots more fruit than the single mango it produced last year!

Sergio

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
I'm getting 3rd round of blooms mixed with vegetative growth on Maha Chanok, Kesar, Madam Francis, and Alampur Baneshan and first sets of blooms on Sonpari, Banganapalli and Amrapali.  It's been a very strange year.....  No lychee blooms tho :-(

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »
Noochka1,

Where'd you get the Amrapali ?

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »
I'm not sure that's what she is, but that's what I'm calling her until I know for sure.  If she's not Amrapali, she'll soon be something else :-)  Long story there....  But once she fruits I'll be able to tell 100%.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
Same, nam doc and maha are pushing new blooms as we speak.

1st week of April and my Juliette just sent out another set of blooms. Already has fruit from the first time round in January.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
The Carrie is on the second bloom also holding fruit, the NMD is holding fruit, no second bloom. Pickering just started blooming, coconut cream still dormant. All trees young.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:34:28 PM by sidney »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:02 PM »
A few varieties have some blooms here or there, but my coconut cream is really loaded with flowers. That may not translate into a lot more fruit, but it's neat seeing it full of flowers when it already has a lot of fruit holding.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
I have a Carrie with about 25% blooms now. The other 75% has hundreds of fruit about 1.5+ inches long on it. Maybe two seasons this year.