Author Topic: Best places for tropical fruit hunting in Sabah (Borneo)  (Read 2414 times)

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
Best places for tropical fruit hunting in Sabah (Borneo)
« on: January 30, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
At the end of february will stay couple of days in Borneo. Can someone advise best places not only for tasting various fruits, but places when I can see them right on the trees. I have interest also about spices and medicinals... Thanks.

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
Re: Best places for tropical fruit hunting in Sabah (Borneo)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:13 PM »
Sabah agricultural park in Tenom !

gouralata

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:58:31 PM »
I agree with that.  The Tenom market day is pretty good as is sepitang, Keningau, and the towns on the way from sepitang towards Brunei.  Another very different area that is well worthwhile is Ranau.  Ranau is higher elevation and has a good market as well as roadside stands along with spectacular views.
Great trip!

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
Sounds good,  will try to visit both but Ranau is easier as it is close to Kota Kinabalu. Hope fruit season will not be at the end ... 

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:15:16 PM »
Hi, go to Tenom, one of the best fruit parks i know. And if you have time go to the nearby mountain village of Rundum where the people can show you subtropical fruit trees and tons of small forest fruit. They let metry  like 10 different ginger fruit. I can give you their nr.

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »
Thanks for advice, it looks like we will be limited with time so the best what I can do will be search for fruits in Ranau saturday market.  :-\

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 11:15:13 AM »
Today i visited night market in Kota Kinabalu , there were some interesting fruits I eat first time like langsat, wax apple, but i was happy to find few fruits of durian sukang ( probably D.oxleyanus) which have better taste than aby other durians in that market, not that strong but sweeter than regular durian. Also try some champedak with spicy aroma. Tomorrow  iwonder About taste of Tarap.

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »
Im very dissapointed with night market in Ranau, because nothing we find there for simple reason: market is not night market it is open from 2 pm till 7 pm, and if you planing to visit at night Then stop becasue only thing you will find is one seller with cabbage and onion as happend to us. No any durians nor other tropical fruits. If we didnt got some mangosteen from private garden when we search for Rafflesia in bloom, Then we have totally nothing. :'(

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »
It’s not a good idea to assume the best markets are night markets.  Tenom and Sepitang, for example, are morning markets so anyone looking for markets in Malaysia should be certain of the market time.  Some towns have separate day and night markets and rotate from one place to another depending on the day of the week.  Precise research will pay off.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 06:30:02 AM »
Ranau morning market is quite ok. Also the markets of KK. But you need a lot of time because those 5 adjoining  markets are huge. But by now fruit season in the area should be almost over.
Night markets in Malaysia are mainly for eating deep fried stuff. For fruits and veggies around 6-8 am is the best time.

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 05:13:51 AM »
So Ranau is definitively not good as night market. Staying in Sandakan now, see very diferent types of fruits - Lot of small Nám doc mai types mango, bananas, spices, cheena, tarap and biggest jacfruit I ever see.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
Strange, last year around the end of February the fruit diversity in Sandakan was much worse. I guess you can not fully predict the fruit season.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »
And one general question to the moderators: Why is almost every topic on this forum marked "new" , even the ones inactive for years? It kind of defies the purpose, especially since the topics are arranget by date, anyways.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk