Author Topic: Grafting: Female x Male plants  (Read 2238 times)

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
Grafting: Female x Male plants
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
First, let me say I´m not a botanicist, I´m just a curious person and an enthusiast in the subject of fruit trees.
I've never encountered a dioecious species that had male and female grafts on the same plant. This intrigued me ... The cause is just the commercial interest? I guess not ... So I researched this subject, but I did not find any information about this anywhere.
Maybe it's a dumb question, but, is possible to graft male and female on the same plant? If not, why not?
Thanks

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Re: Grafting: Female x Male plants
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
Hi Cassio,
I can not give you the references to research on this, but I asked myself this question a couple of years ago and over the years I have seen different research with different answers. I guess it depends on the species. For some species it seems to work, for others not. So you would have to research it for the specific species you want to try this with.

Hope this helps

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »
Thank you Solko!
So, at least in thesis, is possible to graft male and female in the same plant, dependind the species.... Interesting.
I don´t have dioecious plants for now, but I have a few coming to me in the near future. So appart of the management questions it envolves (like prunning) i´m trying to think ahead. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:31:48 AM by Cassio »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Yes it's possible, yes it's done, and yes it works. I believe it works on all species. Compatibility of grafts is not at all affected by sex of the scion or rootstock.
Oscar

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:27:50 PM »
Thank you, Oscar, for clearing that up.
I remember reading once that it didn't seem to work for one specific species, I think it was Pistacchio, but I cannot remember exactly. In any case it cannot hurt trying.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
I believe even in animals, compatibility of organs for transplant is not dependent on the sex of the donor? For example, in a kidney transplant, wouldn't a kidney from a male donor work on a female? Maybe size of kidney would be important for the fit? Maybe a doctor can clear that up?
Oscar

abimael777

• USA Puerto Rico plant zone 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
Hi Cassio
In Montoso Garden there is a Burmese grape tree that has grafted the male and the female in the same tree and produces fruits, grafting by Brian Brunner.
Abimael

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
Here is an example.  This is a male tree of garcinia prainiana.  The tree was cut off about 40cm above the ground and two new branches were selected for cleft grafting a female prainiana.  The lower branches remain male and they produce male flowers while the upper part of the tree is female.  There is also a nearby male tree to help with pollination.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »
I personally grafted a female scion onto a male carob tree. It worked exacly as I hoped with the female flowers being pollonated by the male flowers on the few branches I left in place.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:11 AM »
I would like to graft the "sweet" variety of Santol onto my existing "?sour" type. Is that feasible? My tree is 7ft or so and lots of branches. Thanks, Chris

P.s Not to mention sexes of trees! I might be hosed entirely.
-Chris

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
Thank you my friends!
Your answers clarified the thingies a lot!
So looks like it is more cause comercial interests than due to proper troubles grafting male and female on the same plant... For the ones (like me) who don´t have a big yard, it can be an interesting option, with the proper manegement, of course.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 06:42:26 AM »
It is common practice to graft a male branch on a female tree or to graft/topwork males trees with female scion.I have never heard of a rejection due to gender and they are compatible.