Author Topic: Help with Mysore banana  (Read 859 times)

Rerod

• USA, FL Safety Harbor
    • View Profile
Help with Mysore banana
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »
Need help figuring out what is wrong with my Mysore banana.  Purchased May 2016 at the Manatee Rare Fruit Council sale from going-bananas. Planted in the ground a few weeks later.  Fertilized monthly with fruitilizer purchased at the sale. Plant was growing great until December when it stopped growing. I understand banana plants, and a lot of plants for that matter, slow their growth or stop altogether during the winter time.  In march when all other plants started growing again this Mysore did not but then slowly it started pushing out abnormal looking leaves. The new leaves appear stunted.  Currently there is a new leaf coming out of one of the plants that appears brown and mushy as if it is rotting. The plants in the picture are two water suckers.  I chopped the mother plant down since it wasn't growing at all and let these two water suckers grow to see what they would do.  I have not sprayed with anything.  Any help would be much appreciated. There is an African rhino horn about 10 feet away planted at the same time that appears to be growing normally.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mysore banana
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
It looks like the two suckers are doing fine, so I wouldn't be worried at this point. The symptoms shown on the mother plant can be caused by all sorts of different stressors, but are often grown out of. It looks like in this case by putting out suckers. That is common.