Author Topic: Brogdon avocad question  (Read 1006 times)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Brogdon avocad question
« on: September 18, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
Thought I would see if anyone has used Brogdon avocado seeds for grafting. My tree seems to be extremely vigorous so I thought the seeds might work well because of the vigor.
I haven't gotten any fruit yet, just transplanted it from a pot into the ground.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Brogdon avocad question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
I have had more avocadoes die on me after planting than I care to admit.  Someday I would like to actually taste an avocado that can live here on the upper Texas Gulf coast but all the reviews say they taste like grass.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
I have had more avocadoes die on me after planting than I care to admit.  Someday I would like to actually taste an avocado that can live here on the upper Texas Gulf coast but all the reviews say they taste like grass.

Look into getting a Stewart avocado tree, I live close to you(midtown) and my stewart is doing great. You are going to have to build a raised bed(mine are 28 in. high).  Fruit set hasnt been an issue.  I have many trees, but I think our day/night temps cause the both types of flower's opening periods to overlapse longer when the flies and bees visit them. The full sun will be an issue so I greatly recommend some overhead shade cloth will the trees are still young.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies.I have had a couple of different avocados in large pots for a couple years now hoping to move to a warmer area. I finally had to give up and plat them. They were getting very root-bound. A few set avocados, but the squirrels got them before I could... Hate those furry little @#%^&*(*  Anyway no problems keeping them alive, just tented them and ran flood lights inside the tents during hard freezes. It will be a challenge to keep them pruned and covered going on now that there in the ground.