Author Topic: Ilama ripened on the tree.  (Read 7459 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Ilama ripened on the tree.
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
For those who don't know how a perfectly ripe ilama looks like , here is one ripened on the tree , fruits split open , that's when they are ready to eat.

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Ilama ripened on the tree.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
nice Luc!

I think this is why the fruit is hard to market !!  even in areas where it will fruit readily.

hope it tastes excellent!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
Nice photo Luc! I hope to fruit these one day!

Ed

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »
How is the flavor?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
I wonder if they are as tasty as they're cracked up to be? I have never heard of anyone having a fruiting one in my district.My young plants look very much like sugar apples.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
Normally we pick them when just a small crack appears , this one was overlooked , has a very delicate flavor , the cherymoya of warm climates . Best of all is never picked on by birds or mummification .

@ Adam , wouldn't you agree that more than half of all the stuff we grow is hard or impossible to market . Here , an Annona area , you never see one in the markets except the guanabana , and we have the sugar , custerd , soncoya , pond , ilama all growing in the wild....
The only fruits that you see on streetcorners is Nancy ( now ) , Arrayan , Ciruella , Mangos , Papaya , Watermelons , the last 2 are also in supermarkets.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:32:46 PM »
Luc with atemoyas they are a mainstream fruit here in all the supermarkets and everyone knows them as 'custard apples'.They can be picked green,shipped and sold much like avocadoes and they fetch a high price.Sugar apples and soursop are mostly in local markets with soursop juice used in juice bars.Jackfruit are not in mainstream supermarkets but once again in juice bars,restaurants etc.Achachairu and mangosteen are the only big time Garcinias and are in local markets as well as supermarkets.Tropical fruit growers send lots of durian,rambutans,sousop,jackfruit,starapples,breadfruit and black sapote to larger city markets with abiu and canistel in the local markets and restaurants.The widespread standards that dominate are mangoes,lychees,citrus,longans and pineapple.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »
Luc with atemoyas they are a mainstream fruit here in all the supermarkets and everyone knows them as 'custard apples'.They can be picked green,shipped and sold much like avocadoes and they fetch a high price.Sugar apples and soursop are mostly in local markets with soursop juice used in juice bars.Jackfruit are not in mainstream supermarkets but once again in juice bars,restaurants etc.Achachairu and mangosteen are the only big time Garcinias and are in local markets as well as supermarkets.Tropical fruit growers send lots of durian,rambutans,sousop,jackfruit,starapples,breadfruit and black sapote to larger city markets with abiu and canistel in the local markets and restaurants.The widespread standards that dominate are mangoes,lychees,citrus,longans and pineapple.

Mike I forgot to mention our main export fruit the world famous Hass avocado . I just had my first harvest of a huge green , pear-shaped big seed avocado that is as good as the Hass , a 20 cm fruit .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
Cool! :) I wonder how it tastes compares to sugar apple. My seedling sugar apple produced 1 fruit and it split apart around the "equator" of the fruit. I had to throw it out since bugs got into the fruit. :(
Alexi

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
Cool! :) I wonder how it tastes compares to sugar apple. My seedling sugar apple produced 1 fruit and it split apart around the "equator" of the fruit. I had to throw it out since bugs got into the fruit. :(

The sugar apple is VERY sweet compared to the ilama .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
Yeah from my experience Ilama is more subtle in flavor. Sugar apple has much more sweetness.  I find ilama texture more creamy/cottony and sugar apple more moist and well, not gelatinous but kind of more in that direction.  Genova Red had a somewhat raspberry cheesecake sort of vibe.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

NylsX

• Green Roof Partisan
    • MEXICO, Acapulco , Guerrero. Zone 14.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
Nice looking Ilama Luc :). I just noticed we've two Ilama seasons (each lasting about a month), the first starting the year, the main one with Ilama fruit being sold everywhere except in supermarkets of course, even in downtown streets in little stands. The second started just a few weeks ago i think is about to finish.
Mainstream fruit you can find all year round (most of the year) here are: Soursop, maracuyas, papaya, mango, pineapple, ciruelas (several spondias), bananas.

BTW: Luc, Do you know what are the differences between Common Ilama and the one called Papause from Chiapas?
<<< NylsX no Sekai >>>

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
Nice looking Ilama Luc :). I just noticed we've two Ilama seasons (each lasting about a month), the first starting the year, the main one with Ilama fruit being sold everywhere except in supermarkets of course, even in downtown streets in little stands. The second started just a few weeks ago i think is about to finish.
Mainstream fruit you can find all year round (most of the year) here are: Soursop, maracuyas, papaya, mango, pineapple, ciruelas (several spondias), bananas.

BTW: Luc, Do you know what are the differences between Common Ilama and the one called Papause from Chiapas?

Not sure what the difference is , I have never seen a white ilama in Chiapas or Guatemala ( maybe I missed them ) the Papause I know are pinkisch inside and have a total different peel color , see pic . I have one papause growing but it is invaded by passionfruit vines that give me an abondant crop and $$$ so there are very few fruits of this ilama ( no sun )

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45:21 PM »
This is the white inside Ilama that grows in this area .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
Luc,

are you going to have some seeds to sell?  I'd like to try germinating some...they're nice to have around for rootstocks!

I want to also experiment with removing the seed coat (half of the outer shell)...my friend has been doing this to annona seeds and hes seen good results
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »
Are Ilamas true to type? If not, does it have significan devation from parents?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 05:48:24 AM »
Luc, if the ilama splits open on the tree what keeps the bugs from having a party in there?
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
Luc, if the ilama splits open on the tree what keeps the bugs from having a party in there?

Nothing here in Florida.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:37 AM »
Ya Luc, I second Adam's question. I would like some seeds of both if possible.
- David Antonio Garcia

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
To Adam and David : more seeds will be available later , first badge is gone...and only the white ones .
To Oscar : good question ...the open fruit must have been several days on the tree , no sign of bugs ...
To Durianlover : those I planted are true to type
To Harry : You are an expert in describing fruit tastes !!!
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

NylsX

• Green Roof Partisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »
Well, thats the magic of Ilama, it splits with the pulp covered in a thin dry like membrane ( like the inner orange segments are covered with ) besides that bugs don't seem to like them unless they are overripen.
<<< NylsX no Sekai >>>

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »
Well, thats the magic of Ilama, it splits with the pulp covered in a thin dry like membrane ( like the inner orange segments are covered with ) besides that bugs don't seem to like them unless they are overripen.

We must have different bugs.  Or perhaps I am not getting to the fruit during the time that that membrane, to which you refer, is still protecting the inner flesh. BTW, my Genova Red did occasionally not split on the tree and still reached good maturity and flavor.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

NylsX

• Green Roof Partisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »

We must have different bugs.  Or perhaps I am not getting to the fruit during the time that that membrane, to which you refer, is still protecting the inner flesh. BTW, my Genova Red did occasionally not split on the tree and still reached good maturity and flavor.

Maybe is the pulp that dries faster exposed to the air but indeed its like it health by itself, about the bugs not even flies seems to like it, neither ants.

Those are small ilamas i bought a few weeks ago, they were half splitted and i just opened wide, notice the dry texture covering the pulp, both inside were quite juicy, the pink one was actually more colored inside.
<<< NylsX no Sekai >>>