Author Topic: loquat from seeds  (Read 5247 times)

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
loquat from seeds
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:09 AM »
hi, I want to buy some particular loquat (nespolo) species in Usa
I'm italian and i want to buy there seeds since loquat isn't a fruit plant which needs gafting really ?

I'm searching big jim which is among the best really? where is it possible to buy in new york or via web ?

thanks

dreamfrutas

• Letīs Trade!
    • View Profile
Re: loquat from seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:58:09 AM »
yes, you need to graft or root it, loquat seeds are not true to type.

Cheers
Carlos

nickytwo

• south Africa kwazulu NATAL. ramsgate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:25:38 AM »
Funny then that so much seed vendors advertise the seeds......

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:55:05 AM »
Funny then that so much seed vendors advertise the seeds......
If you plant loquat seeds doesn't mean you're not going to get good fruits. It only means that the fruits may not be identical to those of mother plant.
Oscar

nickytwo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:17:56 AM »
Thanks oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:30:54 AM »
Thanks oscar
Nickytwo this one is on our invasive red list that's why it's not allowed to be sold in nurseries so think it may illicit a hefty fine if you caught bringing it in!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

nickytwo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »
Stuart chopped mine down a year ago...fruit was not good. But I saw last month there is a seedling...will keep it and see what is the fruit like

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:36:35 AM »
I see many around almost wild in neglected parts of a garden. The fruits have always been really rubbish and small but maybe this is less to do with genetics and more to do with no care or fertiliser given at all! Most people have forgotten it is edible even.  my father said when he was a kid he loved them and they were very tasty and common backyard fruit.
Goodluck with seedling I hope to taste a good one someday:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
For the last three years I was traveling in central Sri Lanka. Cool climate and plenty rains. This loquat is a common tree I saw there. Seems to be introduced by colonial masters. I am of the view that loquat needs somewhat cooler climatic conditions. The seeds sprout without any problem but growth is retarded in hot areas.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
Loquots arent true to type but my understanding is that they are close. I know one nursery that even sells seedlins as the named parent. I did a taste test with three generations of a friends loquots this year. The differences were barely noticable. The original parent was slighly sweeter, the seedlings slighly more tangy. Couldnt tell any difference between 2nd and 3rd generation.

Granted, some varieties might be less stable than others and itll probably depend on the presence of cross pollinators. But its reasonable to try seeds where plants are hard to get, like we do with jaboticaba and surinam cherry.
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »
For the last three years I was traveling in central Sri Lanka. Cool climate and plenty rains. This loquat is a common tree I saw there. Seems to be introduced by colonial masters. I am of the view that loquat needs somewhat cooler climatic conditions. The seeds sprout without any problem but growth is retarded in hot areas.
The loquats grow fine here all the way down to sea level, where it's quite tropical, but don't fruit fine at sea level. Best is 1000 ft. (300 meter) elevation or higher for good fruiting. Ideal is 3000 ft. (1000 m) where they grow so well they will become invasive if not careful.
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:51:13 AM »
Loquots arent true to type but my understanding is that they are close.
This is my understanding as well.

nickytwo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »
I am situated at 60m......maybe to low will try one time more......man need firewood aswell

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
I am situated at 60m......maybe to low will try one time more......man need firewood aswell

The preferred elevation i gave was for our latitude, 19N. I'm guessing you're more like 30+S? At your latitude loquat should grow fine even at sea level.
Oscar

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
Thanks oscar
Nickytwo this one is on our invasive red list that's why it's not allowed to be sold in nurseries so think it may illicit a hefty fine if you caught bringing it in!

Sometimes I question the "invasive" status. Strawberry guava are on our list here in Florida (U.S.) and where I work we have a half dozen very old strawberry guava that fruit every year (which I and the homeless that pass by enjoy) and I've walked the area around my workplace extensively and have NEVER seen another growing off my work campus. I'll add to that I've NEVER seen a small one anywhere on the campus where I work and have looked hard to get one to take home.
Regards,

Gary

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
I have noticed loquat trees in several different locations (including at TREC and by my house in Broward Co) are flowering.  Is this normal?  I am used to them setting fruit during the winter into spring.  I wonder if the humidity will cause them to flower but not set fruit.  Weird, though
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:25 PM »
Loquats grow wild in Bermuda and fruit at sea level - the highest point in the entire country is 220ft. There are no named varieties in Bermuda yet you can find very little variation among wild trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk