Author Topic: Gold Nugget Loquat, just the beginning.  (Read 2001 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Gold Nugget Loquat, just the beginning.
« on: May 30, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
One of my frustrations in creating a multi-grafted loquat tree is that most loquats are susceptible to fireblight. If we had a weird season that there would be rains when the loquats are in bloom, fireblight spreads so easily and it can kill the tree. I used to have an 8-n-1 loquat tree but it succumbed to fireblight during one of those unlucky years.  I don't want to apply antibiotics to control fireblight but am working on other alternatives.

So I am starting to build a multi-grafted loquat tree again from seedling. And it's pushing out. I usually start with a couple of seedlings and use one as a backup. Once they've reached appropriate size and survived, into the ground they'd go and I give the other one away to friends.

I would let the side shoots live so I can graft on them next year!

Side Veneer graft looking good!

This one hasn't pushed out yet. I removed the paraffin tape cover to hasten the take or its death. The sooner I know, the better, as I am ready to re-graft just in case.

MotherofDragons

• US, Inland Empire, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Nugget Loquat, just the beginning.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:29:37 AM »
How exciting! I love loquats. Do you find them difficult to graft? I have over a dozen seedlings started this year and have plans to try and graft some next year. I have never grafted before, but will be diving in head first next season.
It's always a good day when you get to plant a tree.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »
Nice, Joe!

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
How exciting! I love loquats. Do you find them difficult to graft? I have over a dozen seedlings started this year and have plans to try and graft some next year. I have never grafted before, but will be diving in head first next season.

Treat them like citrus or avocado grafts. All techniques used on avocado or citruses work on loquat.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 02:55:07 PM »
MotherofDragons, loquats are very easy to graft just like white sapote.