Author Topic: Sugarcane  (Read 1531 times)

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Sugarcane
« on: December 11, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
Why do my sugarcanes keep dying?
Do they hate clay soil?
All my other tropicals do fine (banana, mango, papaya, etc.)
I planted sugarcane last month and it’s drying out even though the soil is damp

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sugarcane
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »
What did you plant, a rooted plant or stem cuttings (seed cane)? And what has your daily temperature been lately? Here in Florida my cane sits there without growing much at this time of year. A picture would help.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 09:17:02 PM »
What did you plant, a rooted plant or stem cuttings (seed cane)? And what has your daily temperature been lately? Here in Florida my cane sits there without growing much at this time of year. A picture would help.

It was 1 foot tall, already rooted. When I planted it it was 80 in the day and 50-60 at night. I’ll get a picture tomorrow

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 02:55:33 PM »
I don't have any issue with my sugarcane.  They need a lot of water. 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:57:15 PM by pinkturtle »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 06:39:21 AM »
They enjoy growing straight in swamp water and muck with full sun.. I grow em in almost any type of medium.. sand, compost, pond water, peat, perlite, clay, etc.. seen a few in pots go completely dry and live.. I don’t know why yours isn’t doing so hot? Maybe it’s a different variety or a disease I don’t know about.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »
They probably didn’t have a chance to get established before this cold weather hit. Try again in the spring and you should have no problem. Like everyone else has said once they’re established they’re pretty hard to kill. Good luck.
Nate

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »

After seeing your picture, I wonder if that is top rot/red rot. I did some reading about cane diseases, and top rot is supposed to be more common in rainy weather (this is the rainy season for you in Cali isn't it?). It kills the top on young cane or causes rot in the center of the stalk on older cane. I am guessing that the colder damp weather weakened the plant and made it susceptible to the disease. Since the papaya is doing well with the same care, I have a hard time thinking that the issue was due solely to a water or cold problem because sugarcane can survive drought and cold better than papaya in my experience. If it is rot, they reccomend burning the infected plant (or at least disposing of it off of your property) because the disease can be soil borne (don't compost or burry). You can give the plant some time to recover, but if it dies I would dig it up and throw it in the garbage to be on the safe side and then start fresh when the weather is more conducive.

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 05:28:04 PM »

After seeing your picture, I wonder if that is top rot/red rot. I did some reading about cane diseases, and top rot is supposed to be more common in rainy weather (this is the rainy season for you in Cali isn't it?). It kills the top on young cane or causes rot in the center of the stalk on older cane. I am guessing that the colder damp weather weakened the plant and made it susceptible to the disease. Since the papaya is doing well with the same care, I have a hard time thinking that the issue was due solely to a water or cold problem because sugarcane can survive drought and cold better than papaya in my experience. If it is rot, they reccomend burning the infected plant (or at least disposing of it off of your property) because the disease can be soil borne (don't compost or burry). You can give the plant some time to recover, but if it dies I would dig it up and throw it in the garbage to be on the safe side and then start fresh when the weather is more conducive.

It hasn’t rained in like 8 months

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 08:17:21 PM »
Well, it was a good thought while it lasted.  :P

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 10:42:06 PM »
I see other people in Cali posting about gophers. Is it possible that the roots on your cane were damaged by a gopher? We don't have them in Florida, but I have seen trees decline due to mole damage. Actually, I think the moles go after root weevils that caused the primary damage and then the mole tunnels create air pockets that dry the plant out and damage it further.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
I see other people in Cali posting about gophers. Is it possible that the roots on your cane were damaged by a gopher? We don't have them in Florida, but I have seen trees decline due to mole damage. Actually, I think the moles go after root weevils that caused the primary damage and then the mole tunnels create air pockets that dry the plant out and damage it further.

They go after any bug in the soil.. usually worms that are in your root balls because of good dirt

If I’m not mistaken I have seen gopher holes near the Villages