Author Topic: Some help neaded to decide what mango varieties i should grow... Thank's!  (Read 3064 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Please i nead some help to decide what mango varieties i should plant on my location. I'm on Zone 9 i gess, with the lowest temp -3C with cold wet winter until April, and with limestone soil but with good humus soil cover by big oak tree leaves. Some of mango varieties i saw as possibilities are Valencia Pride, Kasturi, Mallika, Kent, Nam Doc Mai, Sensation, Osteen and Glenn. Or other one? Any help to choose a good one for my location? Thank's!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:31:35 AM by Luisport »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Some help neaded to decide what mango varieties i should grow... Thank's!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
My choices for now are Valencia Pride, Glenn, Mallika, Alphonso and Osteen. What do you think? Thank's!  :)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
Regardless of what variety mango it is, do you plan on protecting it from the cold winds- for the life of the tree? I personally won't mind planting again Mallika and Nam Doc Mai.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »
Do some research and see what does best in your area.  They all basically have the same tolerance, thats not the issue.  Its know what thrives in your location and then pick out of those (just cause the variety is available doesnt mean it will thrive...do the legwork to see what is successfully being grown).
- Rob

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 05:54:08 AM »
Do some research and see what does best in your area.  They all basically have the same tolerance, thats not the issue.  Its know what thrives in your location and then pick out of those (just cause the variety is available doesnt mean it will thrive...do the legwork to see what is successfully being grown).
We don't have mango trees here. At least i don't know them. I have one Gomera1 on ground for two years and is growing well without any protection. So i want to try new ones.  :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »
Now from 4 possible mango varieties i have to choose two. The possibilities are Alphonso, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai 4 and Maha Chenook... any sugestions? Thank's!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »
I would recommend NDM and Maha.

Especially since can be kept small and even in pots for colder climates.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
I would recommend NDM and Maha.

Especially since can be kept small and even in pots for colder climates.
Hello my friend and thank you very much fo you reply! I read that Alphonso and Mallika are very very good mangos... Nam Doc Mai 4 and Maha ae better? Thank's!  :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
Ok, now i will give up from Glenn to choose Maha Chanok. So in principle it will be Valencia Pride, Maha Chanok, Mallika, Alphonso and Osteen. My dout now is between Mallika and Nam Doc Mai... or should i choose some other variety?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
To me, NDM is much better than Alphonso or Mal and an easier tree to manage.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
To me, NDM is much better than Alphonso or Mal and an easier tree to manage.
Thank's a lot! I will consider your advice. Now it's Valencia Pride, Osteen, Alphonso, Maha Chanok and Nam Doc Mai 4. By the way can you help me ordering them on cold hardiness to plant them on the best places? Thank's a lot for your help!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »
Nam Doc Mai if you can get it because it will grow smaller so more easily frost protected. Plus people will be amazed by its exotic shape. It tastes very good.
Nam Doc Mai tree is well known in Florida and popular to plant in backyards. It has a good reputation here.

Maha Chanok also has an exotic shape. See how it and Nam Doc Mai look on the internet.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Maha+Chanok&FORM=HDRSC2

You are at same latitude as Beijing China. Beijing climate is describes as:

Winter
This city has a cold, dry and long winter from early November to the next March. The chilly days have no let up despite sunny days. The average temperature in December, January and February below 0 C (32 F). Be sure to wear wool sweaters and thick down coats for winter. Visitors from tropical countries may find Beijing weather extremely inhospitable. Winter sport enthusiasts will enjoy the snow scene on the Western Hills and combat the chill by skating in Shichahai. Chinese Spring Festival can be celebrated either in January or February. The traditional community activities in the city are quite an experience for someone arriving from outside the country.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 05:22:32 PM by zands »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
Nam Doc Mai if you can get it because it will grow smaller so more easily frost protected. Plus people will be amazed by its exotic shape. It tastes very good.
Nam Doc Mai tree is well known in Florida and popular to plant in backyards. It has a good reputation here.

Maha Chanok also has an exotic shape. See how it and Nam Doc Mai look on the internet.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Maha+Chanok&FORM=HDRSC2

You are at same latitude as Beijing China. Beijing climate is describes as:

Winter
This city has a cold, dry and long winter from early November to the next March. The chilly days have no let up despite sunny days. The average temperature in December, January and February below 0 C (32 F). Be sure to wear wool sweaters and thick down coats for winter. Visitors from tropical countries may find Beijing weather extremely inhospitable. Winter sport enthusiasts will enjoy the snow scene on the Western Hills and combat the chill by skating in Shichahai. Chinese Spring Festival can be celebrated either in January or February. The traditional community activities in the city are quite an experience for someone arriving from outside the country.
Thank you very much! I will choose those two!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk