Author Topic: Daisy vs daisy sl  (Read 1299 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Daisy vs daisy sl
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
I had been looking for daisy sl for over a year now. No luck. One large nursery told me that many growers swapped out the daisy for the sl variety without changing labels.

I caved in and bought a daisy tree from evergreen nursery in northern San Diego. The fruit were excellent! And seedless as well. Does anyone know if there’s any truth to the seedless swap?

Otherwise I’ve found a large grower that would graft and grow them for me at 6-9$ a pop, minimum 100 trees. I don’t need 100 trees though.

Thanks
Khaled

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy vs daisy sl
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
Thanks for looking into that but I’ve been unsuccessful with them for more than a year.They’ve been out of it every time I check, and either they (Burchell) or treesource will do the grafts and sell them to me for the price I mentioned above but again I don’t need so many and would prefer not to shell out 600-900$ for what really amounts to 2 trees!

I’ve also called several nurseries that they list on their website as clients, but many of them only buy citrus from durling or Lavern, neither of which offers the cultivars I’m looking for.

Of course, this is all moot if nurseries have just swapped out the seeded versions with ththe seedless ones without updating the name.

Any insight or leads?

JinnyLea

• United States /Michigan Zone 4b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical fruit forum
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
Hello, check with Four Winds Growers wholesale growing grounds. I know that they had it (Daisy SL.) on their availability list this past year.. I do not remember if it was the Winters or Watsonville site that grow it . I would contact both and see if they have it .  If they do maybe they can arrange to send one to their direct mailorder shop site for you to order, or you could pick up somewhere.

https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/californiawholesale/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:30:18 PM by JinnyLea »