Author Topic: How do you kill a full grown cocconut tree ?  (Read 3785 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
How do you kill a full grown cocconut tree ?
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:44:38 PM »
First I need to mention it is in the neighbor's garden so forget the chainsaw...it's gotta be discreet ...After trying to talk with him for several years to prune his trees ( I'd even pay for it ) that are destroying the fence I paid for and breaking the trees on my side ( falling dried branches and coconuts ) no results ....  I lost already several of Anestor's rare Eugenias and a row of Abiu trees is constantly broken ....  I talked to the authorities but they don't give a damn . So , I am ready for a ' Black op's ' raid ...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: How do you kill a full grown cocconut tree ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
I would imagine that if you can get to low trunk even below ground some and drill a 3-4 holes so that you can pour straight roundup in that should do it, work for me when i cut down tree that i don't want to sprout back!!! And I have found that no other close by plants have been harmed either!! I know some what of your pain I have a neighbor to the South of me with tall leandaii cypress that are even begining to shade my solar and greenhouse for a couple months in Winter. And they won't cut or top the tree's arh-----. :P :( Good luck luc, wishing you sweet coconut death :blank: 

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »
I've been able to kill several invasive species trees using a drill. Make 2-4 45 degree downward holes and and squirt 40% glyphosate in using a plastic bottle with small diameter nozzle like catsup or mustard comes in. You could insert properly sized wooden dowels to seal the holes.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
Don't kill the neighbors tree.  Prune the part hanging over your yard if you must.  Place the material on his driveway, after all, it's  his tree. The neighbor may take your need seriously after that.

You could also find something your neighbor wants and make him a deal he can't refuse.

11th commandment, Thou shall not kill thy neighbors ox, or his goats, or his trees, especially of the coconut, or his dog, or his cat, or his mango, or his avocado, or anything he keeps that bears tropical fruits.
You can replace kill with smite
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:45:19 PM by Orkine »

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
How tall is the tree ? Just take matter into your own hands and free climb it and remove any material you don't want. Then you can all drink the rewards.
Biodiversity is key.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »
My dad ended up killing his coconut tree by accident when he threw a bag containing bananas soaked in Lannate(insecticide methomyl) on the crown of the coconut because he was trying to kill a coatimundi that was eating the fruits off his trees in his backyard. He literally poured half of a 250ml container out of anger. The chemical seeped into the core of the palm and gradually killed it. You can also always release those pesky palm beetles that ravage coconut plantations in some areas. I don’t know their name but I do know they end up killing an entire tree easily.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
That's kind of a tough one. Even if you kill the tree you risk starting a war with your neighbor.
I've heard driving a copper nail deep into a tree will kill it. But i've never done it. Hate killing trees. But yeah, right on a fence line it's understandable you want it gone.
Oscar

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »
I saw a tree die where a lot of local homeless people pee on it.  Too much salt and urea?  Might be a solution.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:37:55 AM »
I saw a tree die where a lot of local homeless people pee on it.  Too much salt and urea?  Might be a solution.
Too much nitrogen will kill plants. Also if you put high nitrogen fertlizer, like urea, on tree stump it will kill it.
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 06:05:28 AM »
I think chemical kill will trigger a neighborhood war. Using coconut beetle (Rhinoceros) will ensure a slow but peaceful death. Drill some holes in the tree's trunk and put some in.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:03:20 AM by sytanta »

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
I think chemical kill will trigger a neighborhood war. Using coconut beetle (Rhinoceros) will ensure a slow but peaceful death. Drill some holes in the tree's trunk and put some in.

I love your idea .  8)

Instead of finding coconut beetle, how about buying coconut beetle pheromone (lure) and attach it to the tree ?!.
Moh'd

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
Mixture of Remedy thrown at the root zone just before a rain.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
Not sure how much dough you're willing to throw at this, but you could offer to relocate the tree. Palm trees generally relocate pretty well. But you need a bunch of brutes with shovels or heavy equipment to do it.
Jeff  :-)

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:19 PM »
Be careful. If it’s traced back to you you are liable for costs of replacement, which may be in the neighborhood of tens of thousands.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »
Be careful. If it’s traced back to you you are liable for costs of replacement, which may be in the neighborhood of tens of thousands.

This is Mexico we are talking about. They don't think, act or have laws like Americans.

And regarding coconut beetles, you guys are insane. Eventually it will severely damage the trees not only in the neighborhood, but entire province.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »
I am not a lawyer... But, I googled up a good article; however I believe it is a tree in another state (Iowa) so could be different views in your state. No adds popping up so a good read::: 
http://www.erbelaw.com/blog/posts/your-legal-rights-when-a-neighbor-s-trees-encroach-on-your-property

A Florida case... But left up in the air, homeowner's tree roots extending under county sidewalk.... ::: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/clerk/briefs/2008/801-1000/08-902_JurisIni.pdf

Florida opinions by lawyers (pretty good & no adds)::: https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-florida-law-regarding-removing-neighbors-t-1464899.html

This opinion shows a lot of reasons not to harm the neighbors tree::: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/neighbor-tree-damage-46933.html

California Court of Appeals::: https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/solano-news/solano-business/no-simple-answer-when-it-comes-to-a-trees-roots-encroaching-on-neighbors-property/

https://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/conflicts-involving-trees-and-neighbors.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:24:58 PM by palmcity »

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
You are absolutely right Durian Lover .....did I mention the 2 Dobberman 's he has in his garden , they probably won't hurt me but I risk a bullet for trespassing . Also this beetle has already killed 3 majestic palms in my property ( 2 silver Bismarkia and one huge bottle palm , all mature and producing seeds ) Sneaking in and drilling holes to pour Round Up  = noise...so that's not an option . I guess my only other option is to sue him but this will turn the whole village against me (  remember I am the outsider / foreigner ) Also , I just thought of this , if the trees ( 2 ) die and fall the wrong way into my land they would crush some more rare trees ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »

This is Mexico we are talking about. They don't think, act or have laws like Americans.

And regarding coconut beetles, you guys are insane. Eventually it will severely damage the trees not only in the neighborhood, but entire province.
Agreed. But Mexico has feuds between neighbors that can last very long time and also be miserable.
About coconut rhino beetle, also agreed. Don't even know that this beetle even exists there in Mexico yet? For sure  not something you want to introduce. A few were spotted here on Oahu and state is really after them to exterminate them and keep them from spreading.
Oscar

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »

Thank you!  Someone needed to say that!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Zpusher

• DFW z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 01:46:04 AM »
Family feuds and beef between neighbors is no joke in Mexico, my father is from a small town in Guerrero and while me and my brother were growing up he'd share how the males of our family would lose there lives in feuds with other families. It may not escalate to that but It's best to find an alternative than to potentially risk your live or health.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 01:56:02 AM »
Luc, you should post a photo of the tree and the fence.

And why not just spray the leaves with glyphosate when no one is looking if you really want to kill it? 
Brad Spaugh

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »
Does the roots of the Coconut palm reach into yr property? If yes you can expose the tip of three or four roots and put them into bottles containing glyphosate.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
Cleaver  ::) ;) 8)