Author Topic: Update on So. Cal mangoes  (Read 12986 times)

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Update on So. Cal mangoes
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
Bestday, Glenn is the earliest to ripen and my best producing mango. Here is a few pics of California ripen Glenn from last year.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
Bestday, Glenn is the earliest to ripen and my best producing mango.

Guess I will be looking for a Glenn mango tree.   :D

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »
I have enough trees already, but some how I think I need a Carrie and Glenn. Glenn for its early season and production and Carrie for its unique taste.

Bill

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
I have enough trees already, but some how I think I need a Carrie and Glenn. Glenn for its early season and production and Carrie for its unique taste.

Bill
Bill,
Lets convert some of your prized mango trees to a frankenstein tree...lol. 
Really, I've got Glenn scions if you want some.
Warren
Warren

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
La Verne Nursery sells fake Manilas, in fact, most of the varieties they sell are fake with the exception of Keitt,Glenn and Alfonso.. I have never had a LV fake Manila that is worth a damn! I don't know where they get their seeds but they are NOT genuine Manila seeds. Their trees are good for ONE thing...... rootstock...... here is a pic of a 2 year old LV seedling with 6 varieties grafted in the last 12 months: Maha Chanok (HH 1, 2) LZ, Blush,PSM, Manodhar.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
I actually got fruit from a LaVerne nursery Manila seedling. The fruit was small slightly fibrous with a medium size seed. Flavor was good, however the flesh was scant. I am thinking its because the mangoes were small and it was the first crop (the tree was relatively still small).

If the mangoes sized up from this seedling on future crops and the flesh ratio improved, it would be worthy of keeping in the ground. Its currently planted at my friends house in SoCal. May be grafted in the future.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
I actually got fruit from a LaVerne nursery Manila seedling. The fruit was small slightly fibrous with a medium size seed. Flavor was good, however the flesh was scant. I am thinking its because the mangoes were small and it was the first crop (the tree was relatively still small).

If the mangoes sized up from this seedling on future crops and the flesh ratio improved, it would be worthy of keeping in the ground. Its currently planted at my friends house in SoCal. May be grafted in the future.

Nullzy

I've had dozen of LVN fake Manilas, all different shape and size, and I would advice your friend to graft over that tree as fast as he can. They make good rootstock and maybe decent sorbet.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
"Fake" Manilas....never heard that one before, JF.  I mean I agree these are not
primo mangoes......but is a REAL Manila any different?  Maybe I've never tasted the
real deal!

Gareeeee

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »

Nullzy

I've had dozen of LVN fake Manilas, all different shape and size, and I would advice your friend to graft over that tree as fast as he can. They make good rootstock and maybe decent sorbet.

I am going to offer to graft Lemon Zest to the tree :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
Hey JF, check this tree out  53 Mangos in 3 bunches and holding so far. Did you do the grafts?.

Carlos

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
"Fake" Manilas....never heard that one before, JF.  I mean I agree these are not
primo mangoes......but is a REAL Manila any different?  Maybe I've never tasted the
real deal!

Gareeeee

Well, Lucky for you MangoDog I have yesterday, feast your eyes on these pics yucateco and veracruzano Manilas not the crap from LVN which I suspect was trash picked by a wino in Tijuana ;D

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
Hey JF, check this tree out  53 Mangos in 3 bunches and holding so far. Did you do the grafts?.

Carlos

Beautiful Carlos I would like to request scions for that Manga Amarilla mine died after I transplanted the trees on the ground. Here is a pic of an average yucateco Manila

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
JF, I thought winos only drank beer, cause they can't afford, good  wine, I never would have imagine they dealt in Mangos,. Hey I'm drinking some beer, like I always do! and having a good laugh with you guys. Manga Scions you got them , they be on the way Monday 6/2

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
JF, I thought winos only drank beer, cause they can't afford, good  wine, I never would have imagine they dealt in Mangos,. Hey I'm drinking some beer, like I always do! and having a good laugh with you guys. Manga Scions you got them , they be on the way Monday 6/2

Carlos, I drink beer and wine but not the expensive one  :D thanks for your offer I have some Hunucma Amarilla seeds coming your way. Here is more evidence for MangoDog of the real Manilas

this one Yucateco

more specifically

Yucateco

Veracruzano

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
Hey I drink, 21/2  cases Bd Lt a wk. and a few Hnkn, wine 1.75, Woodbridge  $ 10.00 a deal. PM me your address, have no ideal where I put it!, Like my wife says, keep drinking, you are going to lose your mind, she don't know I already did.

Carlos

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:08 AM »
LN Manillas do make great rootstock. I read so many bad reviews of peoples Manillas that I grew many seeds from the Champaigne mangos I ate this year which were very large and extremely sweet earlier in the year. I'm going to try grafting as many of my seedlings onto my LV Manilla in the hopes that I will get a really good quality Manilla type mango.
Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »
LN Manillas do make great rootstock. I read so many bad reviews of peoples Manillas that I grew many seeds from the Champaigne mangos I ate this year which were very large and extremely sweet earlier in the year. I'm going to try grafting as many of my seedlings onto my LV Manilla in the hopes that I will get a really good quality Manilla type mango.
Simon

Hi Simon

They are great for rootstock but so is Ataulfo seedlings. I have a few grafts on Ataulfo rootstock and I will be top working a large 12' Ataulfo in July.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »

This is a picture of the Timotayo I bought at Lowe's:

I plan to use this if needed.

Well...  wslau was right, he told me to be patient with Timotayo when I complained that my tree produced NO new growth this past summer.

Since purchased and planted in the ground...  this tree has done natta nothin'!  I was so disappointed, especially after reading ClayMango's posts this part year.  >:(

Well finally, I am seeing new growth now in January.  :-\

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »
Yes, my Local Lowes sells 'fake' Manilas for $23 or so as well. I might get 2 or 3 for rootstock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk