Author Topic: BK Lemon Jack Seedling Germination.  (Read 2219 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
BK Lemon Jack Seedling Germination.
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
Hello Gang,

I received some Bk Lemon Jack Seeds From SleepDoc, Theses Germinate very fast, I placed them all in a 7gal pot and remove them as the Sprout.

Ed

Thanks Doc !
Zone 10

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: BK Lemon Jack Seedling Germination.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:09:39 PM »
Is it easier to root cuttings or plant seed of Jackfruit?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:57 AM »
Plant seeds.  If the seeds came from a quality jackfruit  there are good chances the resulting seedling tree will be of good quality.   Do not waste your time planting seeds from a fruit from an oriental market as the fruit has either been irradiated or frozen or both.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »
Hello Gang,

I received some Bk Lemon Jack Seeds From SleepDoc, Theses Germinate very fast, I placed them all in a 7gal pot and remove them as the Sprout.

Ed

Thanks Doc !

Glad they sprouted quickly !

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:35:56 PM »
Plant seeds.  If the seeds came from a quality jackfruit  there are good chances the resulting seedling tree will be of good quality.   Do not waste your time planting seeds from a fruit from an oriental market as the fruit has either been irradiated or frozen or both.

That leads me to another question, if fruits are refrigerated to mid 30's are they still viable, or is the answer it depends on what fruit and cultivar it is?
Regards,

Gary

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
Doesn't jackfruit have a 95-100% germination rate? I beg to differ; Asian supermarkets that sell jackfruit aren't irradiated (mine sprouted). Frozen jackfruit would be unmarketable because it destroys the texture.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
I got 2 jackfruit seeds the summer before last, at a farmer's market when the guy was giving out samples of the fruit. I wrapped them in wet paper towel and put them in the fridge in a ziplock and forgot about them for 2 weeks lol.  I planted them in miracle grow in pots outside and they both sprouted. So yes they can stay viable in the fridge for awhile. Probably not the freezer though.
Right now, I have a bunch of rambutan fruit in the fridge. Hopefully they will be okay to plant the seeds lol.
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk