Author Topic: Diploglottis  (Read 4821 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Diploglottis
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:27 AM »

There are a range of Diploglottis in Australia with a range of tastes in the fruit

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Diploglottis
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:06:36 AM »
This species is Diploglottis macrantha which is very rare and localized.The fruit tend to be smaller than most of the native tamarinds but the aril has an apricot/mandarin taste unlike most species in the genus.The aril has an unusual texture that can almost be like a soft but slightly rubbery gel in some species or soft but dry on the outside like a lightly dried apricot.The genus is worthy of more attention.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
That looks interesting. How do you eat it? Out of hand or do you eat it like tamarind and boil the pulp to make a drink?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:23:58 AM by davidgarcia899 »
- David Antonio Garcia

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »
Very beautiful fruit !

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
There are 6 species in my area and flesh varies from yellow (D,berniena) to red (D.smithii) and all can be eaten out of hand but some are acidic.They are popular bush tucker food and used in jams,sauces and flavoring as well.Commercially I think a southern species D.campbelli is grown most often and this one is a little acidic.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
Thanks for posting, Mike.  It seems like you don't hear too much about them aside from the small leaf tamarind (campbellii) -- good to see some more info on them.  I had a few plants of them (campbellii - haven't checked on them in my shade house for a while).  Never had any luck tracking down any of the others though.

John

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
Wow!
Another new flavor ive never heard of.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 04:38:20 AM »
Was walking around the local botanic gardens today and the northern tamarinds (Diploglottis diphyllostegia) were out in full fruit. They are a beautiful tree - upright and fairly sparse and work well in a double layer planting as a light shading canopy. Fruit fall when ripe. The taste is sharp, but I love them (I like acid), but I could imagine it tasting amazing with miracle fruit too. The taste is like a Mundu but with the texture of a lychee. They are a very tough tree. If anyone wants seeds let me know and I'll try to pic up some. The other Diploglottis were in full flower too - australis, harpulliodes, bernieana, bracteata, campbelleii, etc.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 05:48:08 AM »
I would have to be pretty hungry to eat any native tamarind.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 01:04:07 AM »
D. obovata are fruiting now. They are almost identical to D. diphyllostegia in terms of fruit, being a bit less sour. Main difference is that the tree has rounded and less hairy leaves and is a smaller tree.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »
Watching this pictures makes me wonder how many species are out there, that would simply need a bit of love from some breeders to become "the next big thing". The first picture posted by Mike seems to have everything: the color is very attractive, texture is differentiated from other fruits, and the description of flavor is attractive. I guess that it will become interesting even commercially if it gets some selection.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »

Found a bucket full of small leaved tamarind today. They are nice sized fruit and have plenty of flesh. Whereas most species in diploglottis are like a dry lychee in texture, these are actually a lot like a Surinam cherry in texture. These tasted pretty good, with a Surinam cherry crossed with acerola taste with a capsicum or tomato overtone. The acid in thiese wasn't pverbearing and they will make a killer chutney! Also picked up a few yellow fruited ones, which are quite bland in comparison.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 07:56:32 AM »
Another pic of the peeled fruit awaiting pulping with a bunya come the size of a basketball in the background.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37:50 AM »
Most species of Diploglottis take about a decade to fruit, but macarantha, the fruit of which Mike posted above, is very precocious. This one in my backyard is flowering at a bit over 2 years old and under 3ft and is a gorgeous plant! I'll try to get a picture soon.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
They for sure really look tasty!  Very spectaclar fruit!  I would love to buy a few seeds of this precocious, tangerine flavor Macrantha type if you have availale!
El verde es vida!

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »
Hi Raul, it probably has another year to go before fruiting, but if it does, they are yours. Here are some pics.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
I would love. It Mike,  Mandarin notes combine with a dry apricot consistece flesh is very appealing, the leaves look a little beat like Guava,  but this ones have a nice red color on new flushes!
El verde es vida!