Author Topic: Vietnamese black watermelon?  (Read 1200 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Vietnamese black watermelon?
« on: February 15, 2018, 06:35:05 PM »
I was at Lucky Seafood last week and they had a watermelon that looked very similar to the Hokkaido Black watermelon(Densuke) that I used to grow. I picked up the watermelon and another customer told me it was a Vietnamese watermelon but the label said it was from Mexico. I decided to try it out and it was very sweet for a Winter Watermelon.

I went back today and asked the cashier and she didn’t know where it came from but said maybe it was from Vietnam and shipped to Mexico and then to the US?

Anyways, this watermelon looks almost identical to the Hokkaido Black I grew and tasted a lot like it as well. It only had a couple formed seeds. This Watermelon has a Brix of 13% which is very sweet, especially considering it’s Winter now. Here’s a picture of the fruit.

Simon

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnamese black watermelon?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »
Hey Simon,

This is one of the fruits we decorate for Tet (Vietnamese new year- same time as Chinese New Year).  I think what the other person meant to tell you was “this is a Vietnamese watermelon variety that was grown in Mexico.”  They plant and harvest around this time for Tet.

There’s a lunar festival celebration this Friday-Sunday at the Mira Mesa park.  Don’t forget to come out to enjoy the food, music, and games for those in San Diego.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnamese black watermelon?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
Hey Simon,

This is one of the fruits we decorate for Tet (Vietnamese new year- same time as Chinese New Year).  I think what the other person meant to tell you was “this is a Vietnamese watermelon variety that was grown in Mexico.”  They plant and harvest around this time for Tet.

There’s a lunar festival celebration this Friday-Sunday at the Mira Mesa park.  Don’t forget to come out to enjoy the food, music, and games for those in San Diego.

Thanks for the info, you’re probably right. The Watermelon was very good, I’ll probably pick up another one. I went to the festival last year and the family had lots of fun.

Simon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk