Author Topic: Stolen Trees  (Read 13539 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Stolen Trees
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Hi everyone, just got a call from a customer that had 3 trees stolen from his yard in Pembroke Pines Fl, this is the third person in the last 3 weeks that has told me the same thing,2-thefts in pembroke pines 1- in miramar, These were all newly purchased trees and whoever is doing this, it is at night and they know what they are doing. One of my customers thinks it it a landscape crew with a red trailer. Just thought I would give all of you a heads up cause these thefts are all fruit trees and very simular in description. Hopefully these lowlifes will get caught eventually or maybe they will visit a yard with a couple of pitbulls!!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
That's why everyone needs at least 8 security cameras with infrared around their house recording 24/7. I saw when the handyman stole a coconut...

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
Good information... Sure they will make their way up this way sooner or later!

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »
 One thing I hate is a thief!! I would assume they may be stealing these to re-sell, but you never know, if it a landscape crew then i assume they are re-selling them, nowadays people will pretty much steal anything they can re-sell,guess a bad economy brings out the best in our fellow citizens!!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
oh man, that is effin terrible.  I hope these a-holes are caught and charged. 
Forget the pitbull idea, a very entertaining thought but that would just give them a better reason to sue every penny out of you.
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
Ohh goodness. What size trees are we talking about? That's pretty nutty. If they're nutty enough to steal copper wire from live light poles, then I guess anything is possible.

Jeff
Jeff  :-)

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
they were all 3 gallon size as far as I know,the one customer just bought them from me 2 weeks ago, she said she came home from work in the morning and they were gone,she is a nurse, all three people have said it happened overnight.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
Hi everyone, just got a call from a customer that had 3 trees stolen from his yard in Pembroke Pines Fl, this is the third person in the last 3 weeks that has told me the same thing,2-thefts in pembroke pines 1- in miramar, These were all newly purchased trees and whoever is doing this, it is at night and they know what they are doing. One of my customers thinks it it a landscape crew with a red trailer. Just thought I would give all of you a heads up cause these thefts are all fruit trees and very simular in description. Hopefully these lowlifes will get caught eventually or maybe they will visit a yard with a couple of pitbulls!!

Come visit me and try to steal a plant!  My buddy ED (my 75lb American Pit Bull Terrier, pictured sometimes lurking near my plants) is waiting for you!!! and as you can tell I never leave the house!! I post on computer and care for plants all darn day!!!  VISITORS ARE WELCOME, JUST MAKE SURE TO CALL BEFORE YOU COME!

Also, lets set up a sting operation and bust these plant stealing asswipes....put out a row of the plants u know they are stealing, and sit and wait..... >:( >:( >:( :-X :-X :-X ;)

Karma feature sucked on this forum, but karma feature for stealing plants is really gonna suck for these people....u just watch! :)

Also you can mark your cambium with an X mark scratch on cambium and other types of ways to mark your trees!!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:11:06 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
I would assume if they are a yard crew working an area,they case yards by day and come back at night, I am no Sherlock Holmes, but that would make the most sense,one of the people told me he saw a landscape truck and trailer (red trailer) with no markings driving up and down his street the day before he had a carrie mango he just purchased stolen, just sucks cause now he dosent even want to replace the tree fearing it would happen again,cant say I blame him, but you cant let fear rule you either. I would say these fools are no brain surgeons,sooner or later they will hit the wrong place.,problem is who is gonna prosecute these guys when they cant even put real crimminals in jail.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
Dogs would be a good idea, and not even a vicious dog.  Their barking will cause a lot of noise & alert you.  Plus, their companionship makes it a win-win.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
This sucks!  >:( I hope they catch those thieves soon. Do you know what area of Pembroke Pines they are hovering around?
Even though I've never heard of trees being stolen, I've always kept my potted trees/plants where it is not visible by the public/neighbors. I'll keep an eye out, especially in craigslist.
Alexi

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
Dogs would be a good idea, and not even a vicious dog.  Their barking will cause a lot of noise & alert you.  Plus, their companionship makes it a win-win.

I agree. Just the barking is enough to keep thieves away...

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »
Don't know the addressess,just know the cities, nowadays they would probably steal the dog too, I hope this isnt some new trend, and hope it is just an isolated incident,just very strange to hear the same problem from 3 different people in that area.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
This sucks!  >:( I hope they catch those thieves soon. Do you know what area of Pembroke Pines they are hovering around?
Even though I've never heard of trees being stolen, I've always kept my potted trees/plants where it is not visible by the public/neighbors. I'll keep an eye out, especially in craigslist.

U never heard Hopkins Nursery's tragic tale of tropical tree theft? :o :'(

They had a bunch (over 100 or so I believe) of grafted Mamey sapote trees, at a time when they were in high demand, with few who knew how to properly graft, or who had access to grafted quality mamey plants in general.

Not sure of the details but long story short.....Plant minded and larcenous individuals, systematically stole the special sapotaceous specimens.

And Hopkins now is in the middle of no where! not much of a place to plan a plant robbery!  I think Billy and Barbara would shoot you in the chest and compost your carcass in their vast tropical fruit nursery. >:( ;D ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
We have had trees stolen ourselves,months ago,guess part of doing biz,now we have watchdogs that are out when we are closed. They are very good at there jobs!! now if I can only train them to catch all the fruit eating squirrels I have that would be awesome!! they do a heck of a job on raccoons and possums,so they rarely come into our grove anymore!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »

They had a bunch (over 100 or so I believe) of grafted Mamey sapote trees, at a time when they were in high demand, with few who knew how to properly graft, or who had access to grafted quality mamey plants in general.

Not sure of the details but long story short.....Plant minded and larcenous individuals, systematically stole the special sapotaceous specimens.

And Hopkins now is in the middle of no where! not much of a place to plan a plant robbery!  I think Billy and Barbara would shoot you in the chest and compost your carcass in their vast tropical fruit nursery. >:( ;D ;)

Wow.  Mamey is a hot fruit when it comes to demand. In fact, some mamey farms down in the redlands area have had problems with people braking in and steeling some fruit.  Mamey fruits are also pretty expensive compared to mangoes and avocados in grocery stores.
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
We have had trees stolen ourselves,months ago,guess part of doing biz,now we have watchdogs that are out when we are closed. They are very good at there jobs!! now if I can only train them to catch all the fruit eating squirrels I have that would be awesome!! they do a heck of a job on raccoons and possums,so they rarely come into our grove anymore!

If you haven't yet done so, you should consider putting up security cameras. They are pretty affordable now and can be viewed from anywhere on your phone or computer. Mine records anytime there is movement but I can view the live stream anywhere/anytime.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about your trees. I am wondering if it is someone who knows your nursery and customers since they stole from the customers right after they bought from you. Kinda spooky! I would definitely get some hidden security measures put in but don't tell anyone what they are. We have to up our security in our home due to recent violent crime in the immediate area. Things happen around here in broad daylight.
  One of our alarm systems is guineas lol!! They put up a fuss day or night louder than any dog over the slightest thing that is out of place or entering the property. They notice it right away and tell everybody. Plus, they eat up all the bugs in sight :)
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
actually the people who had the trees stolen were not all purchased at my nursery,one was the others came by for replacements,one customer just is wary of replacing the tree he lost. As far as cameras,nowadays they walk into banks and rob them and wave at the cameras as they leave!! I will depend on my doggies they do a excellent job and work cheap!! I have looked into surveillance cameras but they are quoting me stupid prices for a set-up,maybe someone on here can give us someone who dosen't want to use me to retire on! that would be a great help!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:07:40 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gabodymod

• Zone 10 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
If you put copper wire next to your trees , you trees will be safe.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
Geez. I hope they steal my Graham mango...would save me a lot of work trying to pull that huge SOB out of the ground! 
FloridaGreenMan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:07:15 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
Geez. I hope they steal my Graham mango...would save me a lot of work trying to pull that huge SOB out of the ground!

Here I come Noel! with Toppy and a bobcat!!! watch me break the sewer line! :o :P Just kidding.

Toppy of Merritt, Island, really does take a forklift/bobcat, and dig up huge trees and give them away!!! Like this big old Myrciaria trunciflora that I'm still rehabilitating!!!

Pictures of the day he dug up the tree, and also of him in one of his garages, with amazing old cars....my girlfriend.. :-* ;), and also the tree being repotted in a 45gal (yes a true 45 Lycheeluva ;D), and finally the tree pruned up and potted for a full fruitful recovery!!! :)

That classic car in the second photo would make a nice hot rod.  8)
Alexi

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
Murahilin, how much did your security system cost to set up?  How large an area is it covering? 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »
And Adam is scared to come to Hawaii??? HAHA
Hey this gives me a new marketing angle: Plant Alarms. When you lift the plant a very loud noise sounds and the thief is automatically tasered. Might go over well right now in Florida?
Just teasing guys and galz. Don't take offense! We have plant theft here, but they usually target nurseries and steal hundreds of plants, not a couple of measly plants! Big time crooks only pleaze!  :-[
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
Hey this gives me a new marketing angle: Plant Alarms. When you lift the plant a very loud noise sounds and the thief is automatically tasered. Might go over well right now in Florida?
Just teasing guys and galz. Don't take offense! We have plant theft here, but they usually target nurseries and steal hundreds of plants, not a couple of measly plants! Big time crooks only pleaze!  :-[
Oscar

Did you read the post about hopikins I made earlier? they hit em hard here to!

Oscar! :-[ :-[ :-[ U make me feel like sissy :-[ :-[ :'(

I'm shivering in my shorts, scared to get on that long plane trip, and don't wana leave my hermitage.... ;)

Now I'm gonna take my anger out on those around me >:(!  I really do have horrible anxiety about leaving home!  Don't make fun on me, I thought we wuz friends??? :'( ;)

:'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-[ :o ;) :)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:32:31 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »
Oscar

Did you read the post about hopikins I made earlier? they hit em hard here to!

Oscar! :-[ :-[ :-[ U make me feel like sissy :-[ :-[ :'(

I'm shivering in my shorts, scared to get on that long plane trip, and don't wana leave my hermitage.... ;)

Now I'm gonna take my anger out on those around me >:(!  I really do have horrible anxiety about leaving home!  Don't make fun on me, I thought we wuz friends??? :'( ;)

:'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-[ :o ;) :)

Yes Adam, i read the post about the theft at Hopkins. Was just saying that very unusual here for plants to be stolen out of yards. Although even that happens, but rarely. For example, one person told me some desperate individual even came in and dug her trees out!
Don't worry, if you don't wanna leave home you will force me to come over there and bother you one of these days. I'll try to remember about your "puppy" dog so i don't leave with a bunch of teeth marks! Yes we're friends. I like to teaze my friends. I don't teaze strangers! So now you've been officially baptised. I hope you don't mind too much. It's a latino thing between friends: teasing is OK!
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
Murahilin, how much did your security system cost to set up?  How large an area is it covering?

It cost a few thousand but it's worth it. I am paranoid and I can sit in my house all day looking at everything that is going on outside of my house on a few different screens. I have 8 cameras and they cover the entire area around my house. They have 52 infrareds per camera so I get pretty clear night vision. There are some that are cheaper and others that are way more expensive, that you can move each camera individually through your phone and stuff. If you can run the wiring yourself, you will save a lot of money. The main components needed is the power box thing, the DVR, and the cameras. You can get a simple system with night vision and DVR for around $1000-1500 probably. If you run the wires to each camera, that's no cost and I can help you with programming the thing to work through the internet and stuff. I programmed my own.