Author Topic: Durian germination help  (Read 1924 times)

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
Durian germination help
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »
Hello everyone, two weeks ago I planted a durian seed in a pot and placed it in a dark, warm place(about 73°F). The seed came from a piece of durian that i bought in an asian store(it was inside a refrigerator, not that chilly btw). Today, since I haven't seen anything coming out, I decided to extract the seed and look why is taking so long.
The seed is still firm and light coloured, however, no sprouts coming out. Any tip will be appreciated.
Do you know why is taking so long? Maybe it's because it was refrigerated or because it requires warmer temperatures? Do you think it will sprout one day?
Here you are some photos of the seed(it's a bit brown cause it has been inside the pot, not because it's rotting)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:16:29 PM by Siyu98 »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Durian germination help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 03:25:53 AM »
the exported Durian I saw was sent frozen, they likely just thawed it for you in the fridge.  Durian is very very picky about humidity and drainage.  Lost several trees throughout the years, but got high hopes for the next 3 I got in the ground.  I'm more worried about the dry season then the wet season, although many people lose their trees to wet feet, low humidity also causes them to shed their leaves.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
Hello everyone, two weeks ago I planted a durian seed in a pot and placed it in a dark, warm place(about 73°F). The seed came from a piece of durian that i bought in an asian store(it was inside a refrigerator, not that chilly btw). Today, since I haven't seen anything coming out, I decided to extract the seed and look why is taking so long.
The seed is still firm and light coloured, however, no sprouts coming out. Any tip will be appreciated.
Do you know why is taking so long? Maybe it's because it was refrigerated or because it requires warmer temperatures? Do you think it will sprout one day?
Here you are some photos of the seed(it's a bit brown cause it has been inside the pot, not because it's rotting)

Unfortunately, it appears from the pictures and your description that the cool storage of the fruit has destroyed the seeds.  The seeds that I have planted that were fresh have shown signs of germination within two weeks. Is the seed still firm or has it softened?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
Thank you both for your replies!
The seed is still firm, but a bit wet. It could have been the refrigeration to have killed the seed, I don't think it will sprout.
But was germination temperature (73 degrees) warm enough? And, anyway, do you think the seed is fully developed?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
The seed looks ok. The germination temp is a little cool for here but would probably be good enough.

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
So do you know if refrigerating for a few weeks does actually sterilize durian seeds?