Author Topic: Suggestions For New Fruit Trees?  (Read 15272 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions For New Fruit Trees?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »
1) Fast growing, 2) Ease of care, 3) High Fruit Yield, 4) Good taste (I like sweet), 5)  No thorns (ouch!

Fast growing is the problem... Sweet is another and relative. To me papaya, banana and starfruit meet all your criteria, though your palate may not agree.
Regards,

Gary

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
Sapodilla grows very well here- not a "fast grower" but you will get fruit the first year

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
No worms in my mulberries so far.  When I eat Surinam cherries I chew quickly, in case something in there is alive.
Worms inside fruit are considered low in fat and cholesterol.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
Sapodilla grows very well here- not a "fast grower" but you will get fruit the first year
Getting fruit from the "first year" depends on the size tree and variety of sap.  It is no given the tree will set and/or hold fruit as a small tree (3 or 7 gal).
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
I  got fruit pretty much within the first few months of planting my alano ( 7 gallon)- my sister has a Tikal which also fruited within a year- thats my experience anyway

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
The white "worms" on the mulberry may just be the remaining flower parts.. The do look a little like worms!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
No worms in my mulberries so far.  When I eat Surinam cherries I chew quickly, in case something in there is alive.
Worms inside fruit are considered low in fat and cholesterol.

No worms in surinam cherry either here. I think fruit flies don't like fruits high in acidity, like surinam and mulberry. Never seen any of these stung.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
At my house, mulberries get no worms, but tiny sweet ants love to graze on the fruits and get into and among the fruit.  Surinam Cherries, on the other hand, are quite frequent recipients of fruit fly attention.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
Wow Jsvand5, thats strange.  I have never had worms in my mulberries and have a huge Pakistan, plus I don't think I live too far from you..  I also recently added a Silk Hope and Shangrila. 

natsgarden123

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
No worms or ants on the mulberry here in West Palm beach, BUT the squirrels and birds devour my fruit - I have an Everbearing Variety which tastes good ( a little on the tart side) - it makes amazing preserves. If you want a very fast growing tree ( which I don't think you can kill even if you tried) with fruit right away-I , like others here,  recommend the mulberry- albeit planted away from the house .

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Wow Jsvand5, thats strange.  I have never had worms in my mulberries and have a huge Pakistan, plus I don't think I live too far from you..  I also recently added a Silk Hope and Shangrila.

Who did you get the silk hope and Shangri-la from. Those are the types I have. I have sent some cuttings off over the years so I am wondering if they may actually be originally from my trees.

Mine are definitely some type of bug. When I pull a berry apart I can see them moving. The wierd part is that they are not actually in the flesh itself. They seem to be in all of the small spacesbetween the flesh. I have a bunch of berries developing now so I'll see what happens this year. I'll try to take a pic if I see them, but they are so small I am not sure the camera will pick it up.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »
Heck, most of the Jaboticabas I get are really sweet! Maybe if you pick them unripe then they could be real tart. Make sure you pick them as dark as possible. They are sweeter than most grapes!
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Heck, most of the Jaboticabas I get are really sweet! Maybe if you pick them unripe then they could be real tart. Make sure you pick them as dark as possible. They are sweeter than most grapes!
FGM

Jaboticabas can be totally black and still be under ripe. You need to squeeze them and make sure they are softening up in order to find out if they are ripe.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:08 AM »
Ok, all, I will have to retry the jabos when they are not only black but soft in "texture" when squeezing.  Maybe I have always been eating them underripe.

On another note, I had white mulberry for the first time tonight.  Damn, now there is a super sweet yummy fruit.  Hands down, the best tasting of all the mulberries I have had.  If you have the space for a tree, I would definitely recommend one.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 01:28:03 AM »
Ok, all, I will have to retry the jabos when they are not only black but soft in "texture" when squeezing.  Maybe I have always been eating them underripe.

On another note, I had white mulberry for the first time tonight.  Damn, now there is a super sweet yummy fruit.  Hands down, the best tasting of all the mulberries I have had.  If you have the space for a tree, I would definitely recommend one.

Don't forget also to discard the jaboticaba skin. Lots of people think they are like grapes and eat them skin and all. The skin has tannic acids and is quite tart.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »

Don't forget also to discard the jaboticaba skin. Lots of people think they are like grapes and eat them skin and all. The skin has tannic acids and is quite tart.
Oscar
That I know.  I usually "pop" the jabo pulp from the skin and don't put the whole jabo in my mouth.  I don't eat or chew on the skin.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »
To me, once a jabo is beginning to get soft, it is over ripe. My way of knowing when ripeness is perfect is by size and more importantly, the way the fruit is held by the tree.  When ripe, the fruits sort of hang slightly and are no longer held out at 90 degrees from the trunk. But, this can be a bit deceiving when there is very thick fruit production.  The fruits cluster so tightly that even the most mature, ripe and full fruits are held in place by th other closely held fruits.  That's when size of the fruits is my guide.  My preference is for the fruit to be very firm with no give. I pop the whole fruit in my mouth, pop it open, enjoy the white flesh and spit the seeds and skin.  I never have any issue with the skin either in tartness nor tanin.  And I am very sensitive and do not care for tanins.  So, I am not sure how anyone is enncountering any problem with this process.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:26 AM »
Oscar/Harry/Adam - ok, I concede   :-[  I followed your instructions and picked a jabo...well, um, ahhh...ok, you were 100% correct.  Fruit was sweet and delish.  I have been eating underripe fruit this whole time.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
U r like me','impatient and love to eat fruit...jaboticaba is one of most deceptive fruits to those who are not experienced in eating them regularly.  They are fibrous and tart if eaten early...when ripe they are silky and sweet.  Not all jaboticaba are so sweet!  M. cauliflora generally makes a more tart fruit than M.jaboticaba, and is a slightly smaller tree. 

How do u prefer your Jabo now?  Early, or ripe?  Or both??  Get used to both, and u will beat birds and other thieves!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:33:24 AM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »
Oscar/Harry/Adam - ok, I concede   :-[  I followed your instructions and picked a jabo...well, um, ahhh...ok, you were 100% correct.  Fruit was sweet and delish.  I have been eating underripe fruit this whole time.
Oh wow! A convert!!!  :D

Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:52 AM »
U r like me','impatient and love to eat fruit...jaboticaba is one of most deceptive fruits to those who are not experienced in eating them regularly.  They are fibrous and tart if eaten early...when ripe they are silky and sweet.  Not all jaboticaba are so sweet!  M. cauliflora generally makes a more tart fruit than M.jaboticaba, and is a slightly smaller tree. 

How do u prefer your Jabo now?  Early, or ripe?  Or both??  Get used to both, and u will beat birds and other thieves!!

Every fruit is deceptive... if you don't know the proper way to eat it. Just remembered funny incident of first time for somebody here eating a starapple (caimito). They told me how terrible this fruit was. When i asked them how they ate it they said they just bit right into it like an apple. Later they had a terrible stomach ache. Worse case scenario is somebody eating an akee for first time without any guidance.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk