Author Topic: Killing a Pomegranate Tree  (Read 2733 times)

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Killing a Pomegranate Tree
« on: June 05, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »
For those who have grown pomegranates, I have a bit of a dilemma. I made the mistake of planting 3 pomegranate trees too close together. I don't know what I was thinking. But now I'm considering removing the one in the middle, which is the oldest and tallest tree, so the two small ones on the side can have more sunlight and space to grow. If I go ahead and cut the middle tree down to the ground, will it just die, or will it continue to sprout up? If the latter, does that mean I'll have to try to pull up the whole root ball?

Thanks!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a Pomegranate Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 07:46:36 PM »
Mine keep coming up for years.  Roundup, drought, nothing kills them.  I even dug it up and it came back!  Very tough plant. 
Brad Spaugh

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:01:20 PM »
Just curious, how close is "too close"?
--Jake

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
 i have i fence of pomegrenate trees that is about 200m (660ft) long. The distance between each tree is less than 30cm. I have no problem with them beeing too close, they produce a lot of fruit and have already sprouted a lot and pretty much impossible to kill, the only tree in my area that is that hardy.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 11:02:50 PM »
For those who have grown pomegranates, I have a bit of a dilemma. I made the mistake of planting 3 pomegranate trees too close together. I don't know what I was thinking. But now I'm considering removing the one in the middle, which is the oldest and tallest tree, so the two small ones on the side can have more sunlight and space to grow. If I go ahead and cut the middle tree down to the ground, will it just die, or will it continue to sprout up? If the latter, does that mean I'll have to try to pull up the whole root ball?

Thanks!

First check to be sure that the middle tree is not grafted, because if you do that you will have only the rootstock. And probably dont try to take all the rootball out, because if it is indeed to close to the other two you might injure them. Just keep cutting the new spouts for 1-2 years until it dies.
Have you considered removing one of the side trees and replanting it on a different location? in order to have 2 areas with pomegrenate trees and solve your problem?

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
i have i fence of pomegrenate trees that is about 200m (660ft) long. The distance between each tree is less than 30cm. I have no problem with them beeing too close, they produce a lot of fruit and have already sprouted a lot and pretty much impossible to kill, the only tree in my area that is that hardy.

Thanks for your responses! My trees are planted about 2 feet apart (about 60 cm). Wow, but yours less than 30cm apart? That's amazing!! Makes me think I might be able to keep them together if that's possible. lol But the one in the middle is quite tall and shades the other 2.

By the way, the varieties I have from left to right are Parfianka, Sweet, and Syunt. Do you think Sweet is worth keeping? I don't see a graft point for sweet, so maybe I can cut it almost to the ground and let it sprout back up. Then maybe the other two will have time to catch up? But eventually I feel like they would still be too close.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
i have never tasted sweet, it depends on your personal preference. You can try cutting it and and let it resprout but because of the strong roots it will grow really fast and in 2 years you will have the same problem

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
i have never tasted sweet, it depends on your personal preference. You can try cutting it and and let it resprout but because of the strong roots it will grow really fast and in 2 years you will have the same problem

Thanks! I may just keep it for now since you're able to do keep your trees at a closer distance. How do you prune your trees?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
2 feet is plenty of distance.

Many folks are putting pomegranates in clusters of 4 in the same hole--let alone 2 feet apart.

Rather than kill anything there, you can always obtain new pomegranates if you want to isolate a certain variety somewhere else.

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
If you do want another variety, Angel Red is my favorite so far.  Super dark red color, a tart refreshing sweetness, and extremely soft seeds.
--Jake

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 09:56:10 PM »
I had sweet (or maybe it was eversweet) in nor cal. Soft seeds were nice, no tart component so it can get boring. One bonus is if you pick underripe you can still eat. Just give the others more room to grow and leave enough on the sweet cultivar to give you a few fruit

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 11:59:34 PM »
2 feet is plenty of distance.

Many folks are putting pomegranates in clusters of 4 in the same hole--let alone 2 feet apart.

Rather than kill anything there, you can always obtain new pomegranates if you want to isolate a certain variety somewhere else.

Thanks! That's reassuring. :) I'll go ahead and keep it. Will post updates in the future.

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 05:34:22 AM »

Thanks! I may just keep it for now since you're able to do keep your trees at a closer distance. How do you prune your trees?
Because i have so many trees i dont prune anything. I will prune this year only in order to collect easily the fruits.
here are some pics from today

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 07:42:34 AM »
If you do want another variety, Angel Red is my favorite so far.  Super dark red color, a tart refreshing sweetness, and extremely soft seeds.

Is the dark red color in reference to the outside peal or the seeds inside?
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »

Is the dark red color in reference to the outside peal or the seeds inside?

Both

I'll look for a picture from last year's crop.

Edit: The dark countertop masks some of the darkness of the red.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:51:23 PM by Viraldonutz »
--Jake

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 12:20:48 AM »
Oh sorry I totally missed some of your posts. I really wish I had more space to grow more pomegranates. I would love to add Angel Red, but my yard is now quite full. I do have a small Ariel pomegranate in another part of my yard that I planted this year, but it will be some time before I taste fruits from it. I hope they'll be good!

Giorgosgr, you weren't kidding about your trees being close to each other. That looks pretty awesome!

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »

GORGEOUS!  There's no way you can harvest/eat all of that fruit, though, right?
--Jake

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »

GORGEOUS!  There's no way you can harvest/eat all of that fruit, though, right?

no way! First of all its too much manual labour to proune the trees and i dont do it. So many fruits i cant reach them. I give to everyone i know, i eat way too much, i also make vinegar and put some juice in the freezer. The previous owner of the farm had planted nearly 1km of pomegrenate trees that i never water or do anything and they just stay alive and sont produce... Its just so so many.

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »
no way! First of all its too much manual labour to proune the trees and i dont do it. So many fruits i cant reach them. I give to everyone i know, i eat way too much, i also make vinegar and put some juice in the freezer. The previous owner of the farm had planted nearly 1km of pomegrenate trees that i never water or do anything and they just stay alive and sont produce... Its just so so many.

Is it a known variety of pomegranate? Or multiple varieties?

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 03:30:56 PM »

multiple unknown, the best ones are only 15 trees that produce amazing fruit, will post pics in november

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 04:41:05 PM »

multiple unknown, the best ones are only 15 trees that produce amazing fruit, will post pics in november

Cool! Maybe you've discovered some excellent new varieties! You should keep a log of the taste and eating qualities of the fruit from the trees you like and propagate cuttings from the best ones.