Author Topic: The Jackfruit and its relatives  (Read 1971 times)

Artisans

• If you have an Tabo and I have an Tabo.....GBS
    • The Philippines, Palawan, PPC.
    • View Profile
The Jackfruit and its relatives
« on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
JackFruit is one versatile fruit;   I use for cooking, the JF young makes a great curry or coconut milk dish with shrimp, the fruit has a texture of a meat, ripe is the bomb, I eat it fresh, dry it as dehydrated fruit, smoothie it, make jam and Chutney, Ice cream, even the seeds are edible, a good starch roasted chestnut like snack I first encountered in Thailand, just biol and then roast with spices  if you want, but be warned to eating the seed, you will blow air below!

Today I want to share the July season Jack-fruit family member - The Marang, or Artocarpus Odertissimus that is indigenous to Palawan, Borneo and Mindenao.

I only eat this one fresh, it is akin to a creamy Banana, one could say milky, it has a hint of Dorian, not intense or overpowering, it is one fruit one to two people serving size - Once open you need to eat withing a hour at best. In the season I will (Share) consume about 40 of these, about 800 seeds will come of that. In the past we cooked the seeds, now I sell them  $5 for 10 seeds, it cover my fruit addition, and in turn allowing me to  share the fruit with the locals. You would be surprised how many locals have not tried the fruit as it is a income rather than a food source to be enjoyed -  The sad part is tourist buy seeds, and never plant them.

Well attached are some pics of my breakfast, a cup of Joe, with one ripe Marang, a true  bathroom special I call it. I like my fruit slightly chilled, and eaten once open. As for size, the coffee is a large mug, so you can see that the fruit is a very small version of a jack-fruit and its fruit is white and very tender when ripe.

If anyone knows dishes or other ways to use this fruit, I am all ears and taste buds! 

R/

Kevin 

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: The Jackfruit and its relatives
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
Hi Kevin
We dehydrate the Marang and it is at least as good as the dried jakfruit.  Try drying it with the seeds included.
Saludos de Costa Rica.
Peter

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
How is eaten raw the Jackfruit ? has it any similarity with Durian flavour?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
In my area marangs have been brought in and were selected from many original locations in the philipines and Indonesia. It is interesting that like many artocarpus they are extremely variable in fruit form and fruit quality and range to over 3 kg in some varieties.Some may recall pix of a few I have previously posted. The bulb size, aroma strength and muskiness vary between types.The one in the shot below looks like what I would call  philipine large bulb type.
Eating fresh is probably the best way to consume them and they don't freeze well.

Artisans

• If you have an Tabo and I have an Tabo.....GBS
    • The Philippines, Palawan, PPC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
In my area marangs have been brought in and were selected from many original locations in the philipines and Indonesia. It is interesting that like many artocarpus they are extremely variable in fruit form and fruit quality and range to over 3 kg in some varieties.Some may recall pix of a few I have previously posted. The bulb size, aroma strength and muskiness vary between types.The one in the shot below looks like what I would call  philipine large bulb type.
Eating fresh is probably the best way to consume them and they don't freeze well.

Seems right. The fruit I get are about 1.2-1.5 Kg. You are also right on freezing, the flesh is just to delicate. I make icecream from this as a method of saving the fruit.

To Delvi - Think of a creamy banana, add milk and a light Dorian aroma, the flesh is soft, moist and  you can suck it off the stone/seed clean and easy. The seeds can be dried and made into flour, great for gnochi - Ok here as its cheap(ish).