Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620768 times)

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
Welcome Central Floridadave, do you have any suggestions on where to go on Merritt Island, for top quality mangos?(hear that they are all top quality)

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »
introducing my self ...im from indonesia..

Welcome bocah!  Can you tell us ore about the fabric pots, they look great!  Sources/sizes
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:13:26 AM by murahilin »

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
My name is Berns, I am from the Philippines, I founded the Rare Fruit Society of the Philippines. I am also a fruit nursery operator and my website is www.rarefruitnursery.com.  Jay invited me in this forum.  Fruit trees that I am interested are Mangoes, Atemoya and Sugar Apples. I am interested in exchanging seeds and scions with different fruit tree growers in the world.  I am currently starting a company that will help individuals start there own fruit nursery either as a business or as a hobby. :)  I am also a member of the Philippine Fruit Association (PFA).

Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
Thanks Steven and MikeT
And welcome Berns

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
Welcome aboard Berns, now lets get a scion list going for the Jin Huang (Golden Queen) mango.  I'm sure there are many others with great interest in this Taiwanese mango.
Tim

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
Hi Bern :),

Welcome to the forum ;) ;) ;) The Jin Huang Mango...sure is huge 8) 8) 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum Berns ,, nice website you get and nice mangoes grown in Philippines ,, hope to share few scions of it someday ,,

Amr

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
My name is Berns, I am from the Philippines, I founded the Rare Fruit Society of the Philippines. I am also a fruit nursery operator and my website is www.rarefruitnursery.com.  Jay invited me in this forum.  Fruit trees that I am interested are Mangoes, Atemoya and Sugar Apples. I am interested in exchanging seeds and scions with different fruit tree growers in the world.  I am currently starting a company that will help individuals start there own fruit nursery either as a business or as a hobby. :)  I am also a member of the Philippine Fruit Association (PFA).

Welcome Berns. Great to have someone so active in Phillippines fruit scene as you on this forum. Hope to be able to get some great scion wood from you some day. Still trying to get your great macapuno coconut over here!  :'(
Oscar

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:36 AM »

For those requesting scions of Golden Queen Mango or Jin Hwang Mango from Taiwan.  Please PM your address as there are also request from growers in Florida.  The minimum scions I could send are about 5 each for an individual as we also need to propagate them this May. :)  I think Jin Hwang mangoes will weight more if planted in Sub tropical climates. :)  I am really surprised that Jin Hwang Mango has not reached yet in California and Florida. 

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:36 AM »

Welcome Berns. Great to have someone so active in Phillippines fruit scene as you on this forum. Hope to be able to get some great scion wood from you some day. Still trying to get your great macapuno coconut over here!  :'(

Oscar,

We'll try to see how we could bring in some embryo cultured makapuno in Hawaii. :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:52:00 AM by murahilin »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:58 AM »
Welcome aboard Berns I am Mike T from Cairns in Tropical Australia and I have been through you information and it is impressive.

I too am quite new to the forum also being a 2 week veteran.

I have a number of your listed trees and have access to seeds and scion material of many tropical fruit trees.While season here is finished I have recently shared with australian contacts seeds and small plants of superioy types of longkong,duku,duku-langsat,mobolo,matisia,marang,chempadak,maprang,durian,mangosteen,rambai,mafai,santol,passionfruit,rambutan,salak and many others.Maybe we should talk turkey some time.

I am sure you will find the forum friendly and your input will be welcomed and valued.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »
Hi, My name is Bill.  I'm new to the forum.  I have been posting in the GW forum and just found this one.  I live in Long Beach, CA and just got 11 different mango trees!  Besides that I grow Avocados, Bananas, Raspberries and Blackberries.  I look forward to sharing and learning a lot in this forum.

Bill

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the forum :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:22 AM »
Ahhhh.....a bunch of new members.  A very warm welcome to Central Floridave, Fiddlewood, Berns and Best Day.  I can't keep up with the forum's growth.  Nice to have you all. Let me just take another opportunity to tell you and all the new members of the forum.  If you are planning to be in my area, please contact me to stop by for a visit.  Always happy to commune with fruit fanatics and there is almost always something tasty to share with my stopper-bys.  See you around the forum.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »
Hello, My Name is Ronald,
based in hills of Jamaica, zone 10
My Main interests are lychee, longan and atemoyas but have others including jaboticabas, sapodilla, guava, santol, white sapote etc.
Have no idea how I am just finding this forum.
Ronald

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
Hello, My Name is Ronald,
based in hills of Jamaica, zone 10
My Main interests are lychee, longan and atemoyas but have others including jaboticabas, sapodilla, guava, santol, white sapote etc.
Have no idea how I am just finding this forum.
Ronald

Hey Ronald......long time.  You were a very avid Garden Web poster back when I first joined that Forum.  Glad to see you back into the fruit forum scene.  We have missed the pictures that you would post of your amazing fruit trees.  How have all your fruit trees been doing?  A picture update (in a new thread, of course) would be much appreciated by me and I am sure the rest of the members.  Specifically, how'd your lychees do this year?  We have had a total bust on lychees this year at my house.  Anyway, great to see you here.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2012, 01:21:12 AM »
Hi, My name is Bill.  I'm new to the forum.  I have been posting in the GW forum and just found this one.  I live in Long Beach, CA and just got 11 different mango trees!  Besides that I grow Avocados, Bananas, Raspberries and Blackberries.  I look forward to sharing and learning a lot in this forum.

Bill
11 new mango trees is serious stuffs!! You are not fooling around. Fairchild Gardens says mangoes are the world's most delicious fruit. Welcome.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
Hey everyone,

My name is Andre, and I live with my teenage daughter in Titusville, FL. I was previously a lurker on the other forum for quite a while.
I have slowly become obsessed with tropical fruit since my first surfing trip to Costa Rica back in 2000.  After eating Rambutans, sugar apples, and papayas,  I was hooked.

I came back from that first trip and read everything I could on growing these fruit trees, only to find out they were not cold hardy.  I initially gave up, but within the last three years have started collecting. Since I have the normal 1/5 acre yard, my trees are currently in containers, but have been looking increasingly for land just about anywhere within my price range.

I currently have a few mangoes, lychees, longans, sugar apples, atemoyas, acerolas, a biriba, sapodillas, guava of a few types, a grumichama, bananas, cocoplum. pitomba, miracle fruit, starfruit, figs, pomegranates, forgetting a few but of course the list needs  future additions.

I'm am a former boat builder and home construction everything.  I finally figured out what I didn't want to be when I grew up so I went back to school and finished my Gen Ed requirements and now, I'm enrolled at UF in Horticulture of Science.

I go on surf trips to tropical areas, so in the future hope to bring back seeds and would welcome some trades.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »
Welcome to the forums; Bill, Ronald, and Andre. Looking forward to future discussions with everyone! I hope everyone has a great fruit harvest this year! ;D
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
Hi Andre, surfing and tropical fruit seed collecting sounds like a great combination! Some great surf spots also have excellent fruits: Bali, Hawaii, CR, Fiji, Australia, etc. Welcome to the group.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
Hi Ronald and Andre :)

Welcome to the forum ;)
Time is like a river.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
Hi, my name is Michael . Born in Jamaica now live in Phoenix , az. Passion is growing mangoes and guavas. Love sugar apples and custard apples also. Pushing the envelope here in hot Az but its fun learning about plant , soil and nature.

I love this site and love even more there are lots of crazy plant nuts like me. The world will never understand us. Thx !  ;D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum :),

Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
Welcome mango maniac. Can do a lot in AZ with the right trees and methods.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
Hi I'm Fang.

I'm from Canton, China and have been living in San Diego for the past 10 years before moving back to LA(Burbank) for work.

I'm still in the process of collecting interesting things that I might like to eat. I have cherimoya, white sapote, jujube, lychee, longan, wampee, pummelo and other citrus, pitaya, rose apple, macadamia, loquat, guava, wax jambu, sapodilla, Passiflora incarnata, pomegranate, fuyu persimmon, surinam cherry, mulberry, grape, figs, lingaro, and some others.

I have a miracle fruit plant indoors that set some fruits this year but they all fell off a couple days ago. I see a small amount of leaf browning on the side closest to the screen door so I think it's the cool night time air.

I also have herbs: abrus precatorius, discorea batatas, madeira vine, ginseng, motherwort, white mugwort, edible lily, goji, chrysathemum...

Cherimoya, mango, white sapote grafting is really popular in SoCal. Citrus is very popular as well but I'm not sure anymore. My plants are 12 miles north of where they found the first case of HLB in California...