Author Topic: Caring for Nagami suffering WLD  (Read 3026 times)

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Caring for Nagami suffering WLD
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
Hello,

I have a Nagami kumquat that is suffering from what i believe is WLD. It's surprising because it's my only tree suffering this winter and they supposedly tolerate more cold than most of my other varieties (including lemon). I moved homes and did not install my greenhouse this winter so i have them in the garage and i take them out daily when the day is nice. Right now, we are getting beautiful days in the mid 70s but at night I still put them in my garage since temps reach high 30's/low 40s. All my trees are flushing and most have flowers, except the Nagami!! It still has leaves but i am having several drop and now the twigs are dying back as well.

I'm still taking it out and letting the sun hit the pot while i shade the leaves. Is that the correct course of action or should I be doing something different. This year I was planning on putting it in the ground since i moved into a forever home; I live in zone 8.

thanks,

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Caring for Nagami suffering WLD
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:24 PM »
Kumquat is later than other citrus to break dormancy in spring which helps a lot with cold hardiness. I've noticed that some of my citrus kept the leaves on through winter only to finally drop leaves in spring and watch branches that stayed green through winter turn black and gradually die back from the tips of branches down to the trunk and then down trunk to ground once spring gets to full force. Maybe your tree is just shedding some winter-damaged leaves as it slowly wakes up, and since you protected it from severe freezing weather in the garage, it should be fine. The other thing to watch out for since it's been inside a lot is spider mites that are a bigger problem indoors than outside in winter I've noticed. Spider mites defoliate plants too.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:46 PM »
I'm not sure why you're shading the leaves. Citrus like sun and if you're trying to get it to break dormancy, it seems you would want it to heat up the whole plant. I'd wait until threat of frost is gone before planting it outside since it sounds like you are trying to protect it from 30's and 40's which would keep it dormant and safer from freeze damage if outside at night.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
Robby IF your tree is suffering from WLD, raise the tree's root zone up to 70-F, and WLD will stop. Shading the leaves works IF the  root zone has enough heat..  However, from reading the information you wrote above, it does not sound like WLD to me.  I think there is trouble inside the container.  Either there is not enough root zone oxygen due to over wet conditions or compact medium, or there is something wrong with the roots.   If it was my tree I would pull the tree from the container and examine the root system.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »
Thanks for replies guys. The reason i was shading the leaves is because if I had WLD and the roots are dormant, they won't send enough moisture to the leaves to protect them from the sun/heat. I'm sure Millet can explain that better.

Citradia, that is exactly what is happening to mine as well. I'll keep an eye out to see if it breaks dormancy later than the rest.

Millet, that was my intent by allowing full sun to hit pot while shading the leaves. The medium i use is your old recommendation of cedar chips and dirt. There is no way the dirt is too compact, but it might be too wet. I will check it out.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
I misunderstood about which tree in photo we were talking about. I thought the kumquat was the large leafless tree in the ground. I figured a potted plant could brought inside to protect from cold. I also assumed WLD meant "winter leaf drop".

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:14:11 PM »
Citradia, WLD is winter leaf drop, that can be a real problem with potted citrus brought in doors during the winter. Millet's answer makes sense and what robbyhernz thought and did makes sense too. Your first post sounds good too. Your last post has me scratching my head. I don't see a picture you refer to and your assumption was correct about the meaning of WLD but I'm afraid WLD can be much worse than you have experienced. Tom

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »
So I have what might be good news. The rootstock is growing on my Nagami! I don't know what rootstock is on the plant, but of all my trees, it is by far the most aggressive! I'm consistently having to cut off new shoots below the graft! And if don't check on it in a week or two, there is significant growth!

That at least tells me that the roots are alive. I just hope its a matter of time before the kumquat wakes up!! And i hope branches stop dying!!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
Good luck to you and your tree

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
Yes. Good luck.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
UPDATE: Good news is that leaves are no longer falling and the rootstock grew a shoot meaning the roots are well. The bad news is that I'm still getting twig die-back and absolutely no new growth of foliage on the graft.

Weather is warming up here and the lows are in the high 40s and as of Sunday, they will be in the low 50s. Should i put the Nagami in the ground in it's weak state or wait to see if it gets stronger in the pot? It obviously doesn't like something in the pot and I wouldn't stress it at all since it is in a air root container and the root would come out intact.

Please advise.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »
If it was my tree I would carefully plant it in the ground.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
Into the dirt it went... The roots on the plant were excellent! Those Air Root Pruning Container do such a great job!!

So when i covered the plant with shade cloth, I noticed that there is some give to the graft!!! I guess that is the problem with the tree right? it doesn't look broken or anything but the graft is not solid like in other trees. Should i put tape on it or just let fate take it's course? I don't want to use up the spot on the hillside for an unhealthy tree.

Thanks,

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 01:26:50 AM »
The graft officially broke off! How weird is that?? After being healthy for several years it just breaks without trauma!!

The rootstock is very healthy.... can I graft something else to it or is it too thick. I would LOVE to graft Xie Shan which I've been chasing for 6 years. Can I get a bud into AZ or is that also illegal?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
Sorry for your loss, robbyhernz. I've never grafted anything,so can't help there. As you know, you have to be aware of laws in your area about transporting parts of citrus due to greening quarantine. You can look up online which states have citrus quarantine and I've found rules for specific states posted.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
I was surprised to learn that you can actually order from the CCPP in California. You need a phitosanitary certificate but you can purchase them even with the quarantine.

I also found an Arizona Agriculture commission that has a Xie Shan in Yuma. I may just get my hands on some after searching for about 6 years!

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
That sounds great robbyhernz! I hope you get the tree you want, and best of luck with it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk