Author Topic: Some temperate fruits  (Read 2150 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Some temperate fruits
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »
Hello to all ,I am new to the TFF and may I say what a friendly and responsive community I have found here  :) . I am making this tread to show my temperate fruit plants, and to post updates of the same . Hope u enjoy ....  ;D

Here are my gooseberryes 

Here is a pic with a coin for reference for the fruit size....they got pretty big this year with fert and lots of water .

Next are my red currants

American blueberries -planted this spring

Wild blueberries -also planted this spring ,they didnt took the transplanting very well , gues next year when they are more rooted should start to grow faster .

This is my peach tree, unknown variety/ seedling I took 6-7 years ago from a meadow near a road , fruits are medium size , very sweet and juicy .This year its just loaded with fruit, the branches are already starting to sag. My question here is should I thin the fruit set, I already tinned it in may and removed around 150 fruitlets ?????? Do u guys leave your peach trees to overproduce?

Apricot tree - planted last spring

Almond - planted last spring ,flowered but didnt set 

Apple trees

Paw paws - I have made them theese shade tents cuz I have read they dont like direkt sun when small....they are growing very slow ,is there any method to make them explode  :D I am wondering if the shade tents are in fact too shady for them ???  By the way the greener one receives more sun ,so I guess I should take some layers of the shade cloth off ?

Potted persimmons -2 varieties

Figs are next
Variety unknown - medium size fruits, very sweet ,my favourite  fig so far, last sumer for the first time gave me 50 figs ,ripens to light purple/brown color.

Unknown - very big fruits ,long ripening season , I also have two other varieties grafted onto this tree.

Variety michurinska

Variety izmir

Pomegranate- one in ground seedling ,and a potted one from a nursery

Grafted cherry -3 unknown varieties -big fruits,very sweet and juicy.

Potted kiwis - hayward and a male for polination

And last , hear are my tomatoes, just for fun  ;D

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Some temperate fruits
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:14:57 PM »
Impressive collection! I hear that you need to thin around 80% of the peaches for big fruits. As for my trees I don't bother thinning because the squirrels eat all the fruit. :-\ I have always wanted to try gooseberries, but my plant died :(

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »
Congratulations, your trees looking great!   ;)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
Pawpaws have too much shade.Take out half of the layers of that netting and fertilise them heavy with cow manure diluted in water.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »
Impressive collection! I hear that you need to thin around 80% of the peaches for big fruits. As for my trees I don't bother thinning because the squirrels eat all the fruit. :-\ I have always wanted to try gooseberries, but my plant died :(
tank you ,I will thin the peach some more then. The goose beryes are starting to ripen for me ,yesterday I picked some ,they werent very ripe but still were very sweet, I gust love them ..... :) As for your plant ,what do u think was the problem and reason for it to die, mine dont reguire special care and they are hard to kill as I imagine ....

Congratulations, your trees looking great!   ;)
tank you very much  :)

Pawpaws have too much shade.Take out half of the layers of that netting and fertilise them heavy with cow manure diluted in water.
tnx for the reply ,I am going to remove some of the netting and will fertilize them harder with cow and fish emulsion fertilizers.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 02:18:31 PM »
On the Pawpaws I agree the shade is maybe a little more than needed.
50% has worked for me.
But my main concern is the color, which seems to indicate some nutritional deficiencies.

Have you had your soil tested?
Also how old are the trees and when did you plant them?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »
Triloba tracker - I have never had my yard soil tested, but I can check for ph with a ph meter . As for the plants ,I planted them two months ago, they have grown since then ,but stoped growing at the moment....to me they look like they have iron deficiency, its guite possible that they get too much water now ,since we are having so much rain lately..but the curious thing is that the yellower plant does not get any direct sunlight ,due to the dog enclosure's roof ,and the greener does get direkt sunlight ...

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 05:08:08 PM »
Plantinyum, I am pretty sure the gooseberries died because I neglected them and planted it in heavy shade. Maybe I will try growing them again.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 01:09:31 AM »
Plantinyum, I am pretty sure the gooseberries died because I neglected them and planted it in heavy shade. Maybe I will try growing them again.
mine are in partial sun and are doing wonderful. I have read they like full sun and think that is your problem then, not enough sun. They are also drought resistant, but the fruit will not get big without water and fert  :) u should definitely try them again, when ripe they are very sweet ,but if u can ,plant them in full sun and i' sure they will do well

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 02:37:10 AM »
  PEACH UPDATE
Here are the fruits I took of from the peach yesterday...u are looking at exactly 136 fruits..should have done this way earlyer

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
  PEACH UPDATE
Here are the fruits I took of from the peach yesterday...u are looking at exactly 136 fruits..should have done this way earlyer

Wow..your peach tree is really productive. What variety is that?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 11:10:30 PM »
  PEACH UPDATE

Wow..your peach tree is really productive. What variety is that?
hello, yes this year the crop will be heavy with tinning !! The variety is unknown  , it is a seedling plant I took , that was growing next to a  road. The fruits are very sweet thought are not very big. It is a verry late ripening peach , it ripens for me around 10th september. I will make an update once they start to ripen, the peaches are the size of big plums right now and when they start to ripen they get bigger just like fig fruits do .