Author Topic: Growing California (Washington) Navels in Florida?  (Read 1792 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Growing California (Washington) Navels in Florida?
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:45:03 AM »
I have often been told that Washington Navels don't hold their juice & produce quality fruit in Florida due to our hot summers here, thus the reason for Florida navel varieties like Glen, Varn/Varney, etc.  which while okay don't taste the same or as good as a California/Washington navel IMO.  Despite it not being recommended I planted a Washington Navel (which can be found in Florida nurseries) a few years ago just to see for myself.  The tree has been VERY slow growing (even for a navel), but otherwise healthy.  The few fruit it has produced haven't been very good as expected, but the tree is still small.

Has anyone else grown California/Washington navels in Florida and if so what was your experience with them?  Do they taste like store bought Navels or better?  If Washington's truly don't do well in Florida what is the best tasting standard (non-red) Navel variety for Florida 9B - Glen, Dream, Late, etc.?  I have grown Varn Navels before on recommendation and while they were pretty good they weren't "outstanding".

Thanks!!   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:41:21 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Growing California (Washington) Navels in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »
I am never impressed with citrus from California and don't usually buy it if it's from there due to that.  The best navel I have tasted was from a tree in baldwin county, al.  I don't know if it was a washington, but if I had to guess, it probably was due to that being the only available navel at nurseries locally until recently.  Can't tell you as to the productivity, only as to fruit quality.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 02:21:39 AM »
I have often been told that Washington Navels don't hold their juice & produce quality fruit in Florida due to our hot summers here, thus the reason for Florida navel varieties like Glen, Varn/Varney, etc.  which while okay don't taste the same or as good as a California/Washington navel IMO.  Despite it not being recommended I planted a Washington Navel (which can be found in Florida nurseries) a few years ago just to see for myself.  The tree has been VERY slow growing (even for a navel), but otherwise healthy.  The few fruit it has produced haven't been very good as expected, but the tree is still small.

Has anyone else grown California/Washington navels in Florida and if so what was your experience with them?  Do they taste like store bought Navels or better?  If Washington's truly don't do well in Florida what is the best tasting standard (non-red) Navel variety for Florida 9B - Glen, Dream, Late, etc.?  I have grown Varn Navels before on recommendation and while they were pretty good they weren't "outstanding".
Thanks!!   
Can't say for sure about Florida but here near Houston where the weather is almost the same Washington Navels do fine. The fruit tends to get overly large like almost grapefruit sized and they never really color up to the dark orange like in California. Flavor is just fine however.  I haven't ever tasted a decent navel orange from California from the grocery store. Anything home grown in Texas or Florida would be better IMHO. Maybe California fruit is better if picked at the peak of perfection but they never make it to the local grocery, only fruit picked with no flavor.

Navels from CA may be commercially better as far as size/rind color/pulp color vs the over sized and pale navels of the SE but flavor doesn't seem to be a commercial quality that is cared about by the producers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:26:23 AM by mrtexas »

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:16:26 AM »
I second the grapefruit size and the peel not looking grocery store worthy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk