Author Topic: Very fast growing short season "idiot proof" banana varieties for SW Florida 9B?  (Read 3029 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Hey guys

I have experimented with trying to grow about 5-6 different common banana varieties over the years here in 9B all with the same results.  They grow fine until the first frost hits and then they are killed outright or at least down to the ground.  Even if they come back there isn't enough time for them grow, flower & mature fruit in the approx. 9 month window between frosts.  Are there any good tasting very fast growing "idiot proof" banana varieties that will reliably produce fruit here in 9B?   I'm sure there probably are, but so far I have had rotten luck with my few attempts with bananas and it's discouraged me from trying again.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:45:36 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
I had Viente Cohol that would fruit really fast. I'm not sure how idiot proof they are since they were growing in an enriched, well mulched and well maintained banana circle with a compost pit in the the middle. They are supposed to be one of the fastest fruiting. It wasn't my favorite tasting banana so I pulled it.
-Josh

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Legit banana hanger, ive been storing mine all over the counter.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
It's all going to be about timing.  You need a plant that is close to fruiting in the spring, so the fruit have time to hang and ripen before winter frosts.  Probably any variety could do it if you can figure out how to have a relatively large plant be ready to push out several new leaves in spring before fruiting in early summer.  I'd say don't bother with any Cavendish variety because winter is tough on them.  With your hot, humid summers, the fruit will develop fast on any variety.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
The banana mat is what you want to develop. Banana mat means the all the meshing banana roots underground same as St Augustine grass meshes underground. If you knew someone who could point you to ten banana roots to dig up. You could take those ten roots and plant them in a 5ft by 5ft area and they would develop this mat quickly. Faster than buying one lonely banana plant at a time of exalted variety X, Y or Z. If you are visiting in my area I can give you them.

The variety is not so important. All backyard bananas are delicious, taken to the properly ripe stage. A few weeks back someone eating one of my backyard "mutt" bananas said it was the most delicious banana he ever ate.

Same as the iceberg that sunk the Titanic, what is crucial is the part below the water line and the soil level. The strength of the banana roots underground -- the banana mat -- is what is important. Has it achieved enough density and maturity to put up one or two stalks that will yield bananas for you before the frost. I have seen glorious 7ft tall banana clumps near Sebring Florida in July. They get knocked down by the winter every year. I did not talk to the owner but if one or two or few strong stalks are selected out and the minors are cut down.....Those selected major stalks have a better chance of fruiting in a 9B zone type of situation.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:28:03 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Raja Puri and Dwarf Namwah are a bit more cold tolerant and both taste better than Viente Cohol.  Between the two, I would try the Raja Puri.
- Rob

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Namwah

Grew really well for me in 9b and survived a freeze with minimal damage. 
- Marley

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
I grow Cali gold  and dwarf oronco . Grow mine in largest planters I can manage to move around as bananas here fruit after winter as they do not have enough time to produce in the  eight to nine months from spring to winter. Im not aware of a banana that fruits in under 8 months from pup.  As frost/freeze weather approaches I cut off all the leaves and lay the whole trunk  depotted over compost pile and cover with pine straw and yard clippings.  In the spring I set upright in the ground at this point watering the heck out of them initially and fetilize. As long as the trunk did not freeze the bananas resume again growing again at the maturation point they were then during the summer will fruit. The compost pile preserves the trunk with generated heat. By attrition Id say 3 of 5 will flower and produce bananas for me. No issue with ten in the pile. That is the only way I know of here due to the cold weather other than a greenhouse.  All the supposed frost winter hardy bananas like cali gold for example will die as soon as the stalk freezes and explodes the cellular structures- then you have banana mush. The root base may grow back as pups but you have to start the process over again. So I protect the root and stalk regardless of the varieghty. The leaves will regrow. There for your area Id sugest the dwarf oronco as it is versatile and the stalk remains shorter and easier to handle.  As well it is a prolific pupper and will provide you with replacements instead of buying new ones. The cali gold it taller at about 8 feet for me and has presented more of a challenge to keep warm due to its size.  Im in 9a barely and have to go through drastic measures to produce
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:52:48 PM by LaCasaVerde »

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Goldfinger is one of the fastest and is quite hardy. They will fruit in that time.