Author Topic: Imbe question  (Read 4525 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Imbe question
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »
For those out there who have good, blooming/fruiting plants...do your plants bloom more than once per year?  Three of my four plants put out blooms earlier and all were male.  The one plant that had hundreds of blooms did produce maybe 3 blooms that had female parts but were obviously non-functional.  My fourth plant did not put out any blooms this go round.  I wanted another chance to examine the blooms.  Hard to produce fruit when only the boys show up to party!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Imbe question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
OJ

I notice all of my plants, male or female/androgynous, seem to produce fruits.

The male plants produce androgynous flowers near the base of the tree, only after a good flush of male flowers...finishing up with a chance to make fruits..I assume.

Mine seem to flower for a few months, starting off heavy, and then tapering off slowly.

I believe they can bloom about 3 times a year or so.

and to be honest...so far I'm getting ticked off with my imbe!

The fruits hang on forever before ripening...and although I had hundreds set, it seems like only 15% or so, decided to fill out (to just smaller than a golf ball, and smaller)...so I can already tell I wish the fruits were bigger.

Of the few fruits I ate already this year, they were small, tart, with scant flesh, but I'm guessing these fruits were runts...and not the best quality.

I still see some big whoppers on the tree waiting to turn orange...and my Sharry Larry tree has only made about 10 fruits so far...but some are very large compared to my 3 other trees!

I haven't forgot about your budwood request Jay. 
and the vexators either! (all of my vexatorees)

I promise I will send them before too long.

Hope this helps
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »
For those out there who have good, blooming/fruiting plants...do your plants bloom more than once per year?  Three of my four plants put out blooms earlier and all were male.  The one plant that had hundreds of blooms did produce maybe 3 blooms that had female parts but were obviously non-functional.  My fourth plant did not put out any blooms this go round.  I wanted another chance to examine the blooms.  Hard to produce fruit when only the boys show up to party!

Your post excluded me from its inception, however, I did want to say that a good fruiting Imbe does flower and fruit several times a year under good cultural conditions....at least that what I remember. I think the trees at the TREC facility in Homestead have, what seems like, a continuous cycle of flowering and fruiting.  My solo, macho,  male tree is about as interested in fruiting as my wife is about me buying and planting more mango trees. Hint:  That would be.....not very much interested.

Harry
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:49:32 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
Harry mon,

Shall me add u to the short list of imbe budwood recipients? I have 2 scions donors, an all female and a productive male (sharry larry).

lemme know!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Good to hear that they bloom more often.  Sounds like your Sharry Larry plant has the best to offer fruit-wise.  Look forward to the cuttings from this plant!  Got any pics of the current fruit?  Thanks

Sorry Harry...would never intentionally exclude you!  LOL! 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »
Harry mon,

Shall me add u to the short list of imbe budwood recipients? I have 2 scions donors, an all female and a productive male (sharry larry).

lemme know!

That would be great.  Thanks for the offer.  A little transgender surgery may be just what the doctor ordered.  Let me know how, when and how much and I'll be most appreciative.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
I've got grafts going all over the place and several to come!  Some successes would be nice.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
I think Adam's imbe plants are rather unique, just like him!  ;) Here i have 2 males and one female. The males never make a single fruit! The female gets really loaded with all that pollen around. Only produce once a year. Looks like this year it's not flowering at all. Unless the flowering is very late?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
I'm curious to compare fruit quality between my 4 trees.

I'm not sure if the sharry larry has a better flavor...but its been fruitful all alone...and has put on some large fruit.

But the all female plant seems capable of putting on a few large ones here and there.

it really is disappointing to see all of the pea sized green fruits still set, but not growing...like I said, out of hundreds of fruit that are still on the tree, only a handful have filled out...and some are small.

and also I have one that turned half orange...and its been half ripe for a week now!

I'm anxious to eat these, and get some seeds or something!  I will try to post pics asap.

bud wood should be ready to harvest soon after I pick fruits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
I had three imbe in Naples, 2 females and 1 male. I had repeated flowering a fruiting, maybe 3-4 times per year. The females were producing fruit before the males flowered. These were seeds from the imbe at Fruit and Spice Park.

Erica
now in Venus

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
I had three imbe in Naples, 2 females and 1 male. I had repeated flowering a fruiting, maybe 3-4 times per year. The females were producing fruit before the males flowered. These were seeds from the imbe at Fruit and Spice Park.

Erica
now in Venus

Strange because here the male imbes always flower first. There's a male tree just starting to flower now. Seems really late this year.
Oscar

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
OJ,
Which Garcinias have bloomed for you at all, besides this one?
Also, are you growing G madruno?  How does it grow for you?

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
Hey Robert,
The imbes have been flowering and are flowering again right now.  All males of course.  One plant refuses to put any blooms out and this one produced one female bloom last year...at least it looked female.

I currently have a lemon drop mangosteen with 3 fruit developing.  This was a grafted plant picked up in PR last year.  I do have two big madronos and I planted them together in the ground.  Another big achachairu planted in the ground.  Both of these have to be close to flowering age.  They both grow like weeds thankfully.  They've been pruned harshly over the years to beef up the scaffolding limbs.  Not a lot of wind in the greenhouse to build up branch strength!

The rest are all in containers.  I love all the various garcinias' new growth...unfortunately...so do the thrips and they wreak havoc on the new growth.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
I currently have a lemon drop mangosteen with 3 fruit developing.  This was a grafted plant picked up in PR last year.  I do have two big madronos and I planted them together in the ground.  Another big achachairu planted in the ground.  Both of these have to be close to flowering age.  They both grow like weeds thankfully.  They've been pruned harshly over the years to beef up the scaffolding limbs.  Not a lot of wind in the greenhouse to build up branch strength!

I have two, from seed, and both are uniquely top heavy.  I just wondered if you see the same thing.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
I believe so when they were smaller.  I started putting mine into more sun than what you read about.  I would also top them quite frequently.