Author Topic: Grumichama flowering!  (Read 2875 times)

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
Grumichama flowering!
« on: September 22, 2020, 05:32:50 PM »
why is my grumichama flowering in Florida in September? So far these are the oly flowers that i see..
Is this normal this late in the year?
Usually, this tree flowers in the spring..

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Grumichama flowering!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »
I've heard they flower twice a year sometimes, like cherry of the rio grande.

Any chance you could take a photo of the whole tree? I am curious to see the size of it.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »
Mine is also flowering :)

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »

The tree is about three years old, about 6ft tall.. flowers every year(including this year, in the spring) but never fruited yet.. fingers crossed 🤞🙂

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:34:20 PM »
Mine is also flowering :)

Nice! i did not know that it could fruit twice a year.. now i am exited....
 good luck

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »
I have been having the same problem as you...it flowers but they all fall off :(  Hopefully it will set fruit this time

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
I have been having the same problem as you...it flowers but they all fall off :(  Hopefully it will set fruit this time

I had this issue on all my pitangas and was watching some Brazilian YouTube videos (I speak Portuguese) and they said to limit watering during the flowering period. Last year I think I got about 20 off my "best" pitanga plant, this year I only watered it when it showed signs of stress (droopy leaves) during the flowering period - and there are literally hundreds of fruit sets. It is night and day compared to when I regularly watered.

I also had a ton of CORG flowers and none set, I watered profusely thinking that would help it.

I'll be trying this on all my eugenias next year for sure.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »

I had this issue on all my pitangas and was watching some Brazilian YouTube videos (I speak Portuguese) and they said to limit watering during the flowering period. Last year I think I got about 20 off my "best" pitanga plant, this year I only watered it when it showed signs of stress (droopy leaves) during the flowering period - and there are literally hundreds of fruit sets. It is night and day compared to when I regularly watered.

I also had a ton of CORG flowers and none set, I watered profusely thinking that would help it.

I will try that, thank you for your suggestion..

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »
I have several grumichama, one of them flowers every Spring heavy
while other trees are flowering and setting fruit. It has never set one fruit? It is probably
around 10 years old. Each year I promise one more chance. I guess when I have
another to replace it it will get the axe. I do have two 3 gallons that are suppose
to produce yellow and black fruit on the same tree. I had another balck one and it
fruited 3 years in a row. The fruit was the size of a golf ball and they had around 20 seeds
in each fruit and the fruit was awful. I have two yellow fruited trees and they produce
every year althought his year was a lean year. They flower mostly in the Spring.
I guess this is a highly variable tree from seed.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »

Hey K-Rimes that's some good tip's for eugenia's I've never heard before my grumichama's and COTRG are on drip system and get's turned on once a week and I had the best most productive COTRG this year and they are blooming right now again. They were best tasting ever too! Thanks for posting tip, now I know who to ask about Brazilian tree's  ;)

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »

Thanks for this advice as when they were flowering last spring someone recommended lots of water ;)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »
I can’t say conclusively that it works, but I’ve had lots of  eugenia flowers and very few fruit sets - this dry treatment seemed to do it. It’s not to say you should never water, just maybe that whole soaking thing doesn’t work? I tried the soaking thing last year, no fruit.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 11:09:12 AM »
My experience has been the opposite.  The first couple of years my Grumichama flowered it didn't set any fruit.  Then I read that you should provide extra water during flowering.  I have watered extra during flowering since then and I have always gotten fruit.  My bush is also flowering now.

Bill

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »
My experience has been the opposite.  The first couple of years my Grumichama flowered it didn't set any fruit.  Then I read that you should provide extra water during flowering.  I have watered extra during flowering since then and I have always gotten fruit.  My bush is also flowering now.

Bill
Interesting...Guess I will need to try both options then.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »

Bill

What was your "normal" watering regimen vs your increased? Another member in Orange County mentioned her grumichama flowered nicely when the irrigation line broke and it was deeply flooded - but she hasn't had any fruit or flowers on it since.

Pitanga could very well be different, needing dry conditions for fruit set - but it seems many fruit trees require dry conditions for good fruit set. Mango comes to mind. Too much water and it drops the flowers / fruit sets. I definitely over watered the majority of my plants this year and didn't get much fruit. 2021 shall be different I hope.

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 03:45:54 PM »
I'm in 9B W. Central Florida.  The Eugenias flower in March and September.  They give more fruit after the March flowering when it is drier here.  Less fruit after the September flowering, when it is wetter here.  Not a completely scientific experiment, but I would say they fruit better with drier conditions. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
Mine flower about twice a year and opportunistically after good rain. In an area with cool winters it might not be such a good thing just prior to the weather cooling.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 01:17:51 AM »
I normally water three times a week on a drip system.

Bill

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
I'm in 9B W. Central Florida.  The Eugenias flower in March and September.  They give more fruit after the March flowering when it is drier here.  Less fruit after the September flowering, when it is wetter here.  Not a completely scientific experiment, but I would say they fruit better with drier conditions.

I think perhaps it's that they produce more flowers with generous watering, but more fruit-set with drier conditions. Not entirely sure on this till I complete another year cycle trying dry conditions after flowers open.

This year it was a warm spring and I watered daily thinking that was needed after reading all the advice about heavy watering Brazilian fruit trees when flowering... All flowers dropped on CORG, pitanga, etc - it never rains here in CA, or well, maybe 10-12 days in the winter on a normal year, so this is an easy test to enact.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
so, water or no water? this is so confusing!!!  :) :o

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »
so, water or no water? this is so confusing!!!  :) :o

You'll have to decide what makes most sense for you and your climate.

For me, my plan will be to water as needed (every 3 days) till the flowers are open - then I will restrict watering down to every 6-7 days depending on how the plant looks and if the soil is dry. All mine are in containers, so this is pretty easy to control.

I would let my pitanga actually droop a bit before watering and this set max fruit for me on this end of summer flowering episode and hope the same will be true for my other eugenias.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 09:29:29 PM »
I guess I have to go with the water as it has rained today, is raining now, and will rain tomorrow.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 04:26:04 PM »
why is my grumichama flowering in Florida in September? So far these are the oly flowers that i see..

My first grumichama ever!! So excited, will pick it tomorrow.. can't wait

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 10:55:48 PM »
Here in 10A California, will try watering on the heavier side during flowering and lighter at fruit set and will update this thread to see if they hold fruit. Planted in ground.

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 01:26:56 AM »

My first grumichama ever!! So excited, will pick it tomorrow.. can't wait

So what did you end up doing - watering wise? And how big is your tree now?