Author Topic: Bird Nest In My Tree  (Read 4859 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Bird Nest In My Tree
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:45:44 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Bird Nest In My Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »
Something constructed a nest in my Rollinia tree.  Should I remove it?  Tree is about 8 feet tall.

Why would you want to remove it?  Are the birds eating too many bugs? 
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »
Yes strange question coming from you Mark who wants to build nests to attract birds?  ;) Is it a falcon or hawk's nest?  ;D
Seriously, the only down side of having birds in your rollinia tree that i can think of is that some birds do like to peck at the fruits. For first time we are having bird damage on our fruits. I think it's mynah birds, but not sure. But most birds don't bother them here. We started having to bag our fruits this year for first time. They peck them even when green.  >:(
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:45:58 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »
squirrels build bird-like nests....

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »
Something constructed a nest in my Rollinia tree.  Should I remove it?  Tree is about 8 feet tall.

it's probably a mocking bird...our state bird...and it's probably a crime to molest the nest!

don't worry about the birds...they won't bother you!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:01 AM »
I have a mocking bird nest in my larger jaboticaba. 

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
I would leave it...I had Bluejays build a nest on my young Lychee tree...I thought it was cool they thought my tree would make a safe haven for them,lol...They built while the tree was blooming. Something however ate most of my lychees when it was ripe...birds/critters  >:(but that's a whole other story!

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »
Mockingbird nests are a joy to walk under.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
birds have a sixth sense ability to spot mangoes that are 2 days away from ripening, regardless of whether they're totally green or hidden under a bunch of foliage. It's like mango ripening radar that God gave them.

However, I absolutely adore the birds in my yard and gratefully accept pecked mangoes in exchange for their graceful singing and peaceful beauty that they bring.

You can eliminate the nest in your tree, but it's totally moot, since they can quite easily spot your fruits from miles away. And there are millions of them in florida. It's like trying to hide from the NSA. good luck.

:-)
Jeff  :-)

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »

Every year I have a mockingbird nest and cardinal nest among my trees.  The best was a few years ago the cardinals built there nest in a muscadine vine that is trellised just outside the kitchen window.  It was so fun to watch it. 

The picture I attached is a mockingbird nest in my grumichama from this year.  I don't know why, but the birds never attack any of my Eugenia's. 

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »
Mocking birds are one of my favorites. They are smart. I've walked close to their nest and I'd never been attacked. Yet some do get attacked. I guess they have a sixth sense. lol
Alexi

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

Every year I have a mockingbird nest and cardinal nest among my trees.  The best was a few years ago the cardinals built there nest in a muscadine vine that is trellised just outside the kitchen window.  It was so fun to watch it. 

The picture I attached is a mockingbird nest in my grumichama from this year.  I don't know why, but the birds never attack any of my Eugenia's. 

Too Cute  ;D
 Thanks for posting that adorable piture...

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Saw a mockingbird giving a squirrel hell a couple of weeks ago, no safe refuge for the squirrel.  Climbing trees didn't work, running away didn't work.   Finally the squirrel wedged itself in the base of a vertical twiggy bush and froze, it was like it was behind bars.  Couldn't have been comfortable.  Mockingbird was circling the bush looking for a way in.

I was cheering on the mockingbird. Pretty funny.

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
A mockingbird tortured us non-stop for three weeks last month - it wouldn't shut up.
From before dawn until after dark it was flying from tree to tree and shrieking.
It finally shut up (must have found a mate), but then it took a liking to my cherry tomato plant.
Now it hangs around a bit, eats a few bugs then flies off - I wish the black phoebes would come back.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
I love all the birds that nest in my trees, We have a bluejay that takes peanuts right out of your hand, he hangs out most of the year almost like a pet that I don't have to take care of.....lol (best kind)
Joe

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 10:52:49 AM »
fruitboxhero, How cool to have a friendly bluejay~I wonder if he was hand raised?  We used to have some really tame hummingbirds that stayed year around in AZ. They would fly into the garage and chirp at dh to let him know their feeder was empty lol.   Now we have a bunch of fairly tame cardinals that eat the chicken feed and don't even bother to fly up from the dish when I go into the pens. They won't let me touch them though lol.
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.