Author Topic: Maha Chanok fruit is splitting  (Read 3897 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Maha Chanok fruit is splitting
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:02 AM »
ok, so the Maha Chanok in a pot in the greenhouse wth fruit is splitting.  I water it every single day.  What's the deal? I thought if you give it regular water, it should be ok. But no, that's not the case.  splitting is a trait with mama chinook or i'm not getting the real MH ?

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok fruit is splitting
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:52 AM »
I'm not sure watering a mango everyday is a good idea. Actually I think splitting might be because of that, and anyway this watering frequency could rot its roots being in a pot. I have mangoes in air-pots and even those ones don't get water everyday, but every 4 or 5 days now that is becoming hotter, the rest once per week and they all grow happy. 

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:45:38 AM »
No, MCs do not generally split here in Florida but your conditions are not really comparable. NDM #4 is one that seems to split early and often. Is this the Top Tropicals or the Plantogram?

ok, so the Maha Chanok in a pot in the greenhouse wth fruit is splitting.  I water it every single day.  What's the deal? I thought if you give it regular water, it should be ok. But no, that's not the case.  splitting is a trait with mama chinook or i'm not getting the real MH ?
Brandon

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
Watering everyday cause splitting.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »
No they do not split here in SoCal but yr lucky to have them ripe in Northern California even in a GH.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:38:14 PM »
Water isn't entirely at fault, it's the temperature fluctuation in addition to our dry conditions.

Have you noticed lately it's been in the low 40's in the evening and high 80's in the day?
Yea, that will cause some good cracking to just about any fruit.
Happened to my longans, mangoes, cherimoyas, atemoyas, jujube + many others last year.
The mangoes to go about the size of a child's fist and starts cracking down the center.
Maha, Sia Tong, Okrung, Keo Savoy mangoes.

I'm not sure if you measure your parameters inside your greenhouse, but I try to keep my humidity, temp and CO2/O2 levels at safe levels.
So far it's helping this year, because it is a challenge to grow anything tropical/sub-tropical here in the Bay Area.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:40:19 PM by waxy »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
Water isn't entirely at fault, it's the temperature fluctuation in addition to our dry conditions.

Have you noticed lately it's been in the low 40's in the evening and high 80's in the day?
Yea, that will cause some good cracking to just about any fruit.
Happened to my longans, mangoes, cherimoyas, atemoyas, jujube + many others last year.
The mangoes to go about the size of a child's fist and starts cracking down the center.
Maha, Sia Tong, Okrung, Keo Savoy mangoes.

I'm not sure if you measure your parameters inside your greenhouse, but I try to keep my humidity, temp and CO2/O2 levels at safe levels.
So far it's helping this year, because it is a challenge to grow anything tropical/sub-tropical here in the Bay Area.

^This

Plus possibly your potting mix. Mangos like well draining soils - too much water will be an issue especially if you're giving it water every day in a container with a mix that holds too much moisture.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »
This is the one from planogram. It is doing pretty well with the trunk half missing. 

The setup is a pot on top of another pot so that it has rooms for the roots to grow. The soil is pretty well drain on top. A gallon of water disappear within a minute.  I thought irregular would cause split, so I water it with 1 gal everyday so that I don't have to remember the schedule since I have to hand water it. No automated irrigation systems inside greenhouse.

waxy, you might be right about the weather.  At night, inside greenhouse, the thermometer register it's in the low 50. During the day, sometime it's in the 70-90.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
Sorry if this was cover already.
That doesn't look the Mahas I've seen down here, but I don't really know how weather conditions affect the size shape and color.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
Well, on the bright side they'll keep growing and you'll have seedless mangoes :D v
I still ate all of my mangoes, regardless if they cracked or not, no seed to deal with.

Keep a large body of water inside the greenhouse, I installed a pond in mine, with cooling pads to circulate the air.
Not only it maintains humidity but it also keeps the greenhouse nice and cool during really hot summers.
Regarding prevention, it's basically maintaining a consistent environment for mangoes to thrive, not just survive.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:06:37 PM by waxy »

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
Hi Skan,

I have never tasted a Mahachanok before.  I agree The fruits doesn't look like the one in their website https://plantogram.com/product/mango_maha_Chanok/.  I will need to contact them.     The tree was not cheap.

Anyone else in CA has Mahachanok fruits looking like mine? 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »
Hi Skan,

I have never tasted a Mahachanok before.  I agree The fruits doesn't look like the one in their website https://plantogram.com/product/mango_maha_Chanok/.  I will need to contact them.     The tree was not cheap.

Anyone else in CA has Mahachanok fruits looking like mine?

Your tree is not a Mahachanok.

The fruit shape is different. The leaves are also supposed to be flat on the real Mahachanok. I think Squam may be making a post to show the difference.

I have the same fake Maha as well. I think the original source may be the same nursery in Florida. Plantogram must have bought from them as well.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
Interesting. Which is the nursery that's grafting the fake mahas?
Jeff  :-)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 11:06:19 PM »
Could it be kesar? 

I initially bought online the kesar , then I ask them to swap it out for a Mahachanok. 

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 12:27:04 AM »
I had the same splitting problem with my maha mango last year and the trunk on my tree also suffered from gummosis and I had to removed half of the bark. I also had concern to whether my tree is a genuine Maha Chanok but one sniff of a crushed leave made me confident mine tree is real. The leaves have a distinctive smell similar to how an unripe Maha Chanok fruit tasted, floral fragrant but tart.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »
Could it be kesar? 

I initially bought online the kesar , then I ask them to swap it out for a Mahachanok.

It’s not Kesar.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »
For almost 3yrs, I always thought it was a Mahachanok since the label on the tree says it is Mahachanok.

It does not look like maha on their website.