Author Topic: Banana removal a surprise and question  (Read 1332 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Banana removal a surprise and question
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »
I removed a banana that was in ground about two years as it proved to be just too big.  I planted it unceremoniously in a moist sandy spot deviod of life, and after removal it left behind a big surprise, some really nice dark sandy soil full of worms and other slithering insects.

I've removed bananas before and don't recall this side benefit.

Anyway, the mat I removed is about 3' round and over a foot deep. I plan on allowing the pstems and leaves to decompose where they fell but in the past after removing bananas I dumped the mat out with bulk trash. I'm thinking this time to hack up the mat and let it decompose on the surface of the ground also. Other than the possibility of some roots taking hold in the soil as a watch item, might there any benefit to leaving the mat also?

Regards,

Gary

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
Re: Banana removal a surprise and question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
I also accidentally discovered how great bananas are for bringing an area to life. I have less than an acre. Literally nothing but sand and grass. I'd absolutely leave the mat. I've tried pigeon peas and perennial peanut, but bannas can't be beat for biomass and ease where I am. It'll break down and continue to feed and improve your soil.

meristos

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
I'm not very fan of bananas but I use them in my garden to provide rapid biomass to soil and rapid shade to young trees. It works perfectly.

junglevulture

• Puna, Hawai'i (Wet Tropics)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 05:12:12 PM »
Its definitely not trash. They make excellent mulch, water retention, worm fodder and host a ton of beneficial microorganisms.

All these little cells act as safe havens for microorganisms and they flourish in them.