Author Topic: At last! Now what?!  (Read 1264 times)

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
At last! Now what?!
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
Finally took down some 100’ + Australian pines that have been on my mind for the last 9 years. Question now is what to plant? I am open to suggestions.
I’m definitely going to put a passion fruit trellis up against the street to mark my property line.  Are there any varieties that are sweet? Looking to plant 3 different ones.

To replace the pines I’m considering: loquat, canistel, macadamia, atemoya, white sapote, lychee, avocado, and a late season mango.
What varieties would y’all recommend?

Already have the following mangos: Julie, Pickering, Edgar , nam doc mai, Maha Chanok, coconut cream, Glenn, Bombay,  Beverly , lemon zest.

Already have the following avocados: choquette, Simmons, oro negro

Mic

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: At last! Now what?!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
Congratulations!  Maybe Honey Kiss mango?  Dupuis avocado?  Yes to lychee, atemoya, white sapote, loquat.  (Love 'em all!)  And nothing wrong with macadamia or canistel.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:47:33 PM by johnb51 »
John

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »
I would say get everything on your list, but also jackfruit, mamey, carambola, abiu, maybe a syzygium like malay apple or wac jambu. There are too many options! You could also grow cacao, coffee, and monstera deliciosa under the trees when they get big.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 01:31:48 AM »
dang, nice piece of property. I wish and prey once day , if not in this life, then next life, I have a piece of property like that so that I can go crazy with planting all type of fruit tropical fruit trees. 

By the pond, I think nice to grow banana and sugarcane  as it loves plenty of water.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 09:24:41 AM »
dang, nice piece of property. I wish and prey once day , if not in this life, then next life, I have a piece of property like that so that I can go crazy with planting all type of fruit tropical fruit trees. 

By the pond, I think nice to grow banana and sugarcane  as it loves plenty of water.
Too bad you can't move here to Florida.  Outside of the most populous areas, properties are way cheap, compared to California.  You could create your own little tropical paradise.  You'll miss your beautiful climate but appreciate a climate where it rains.  Unfortunately it comes out of your body, too--you will sweat buckets!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:41:15 AM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
Are you going to bring in the stump grinder man or will you get rid of the stumps with nitrogen fertilizer? Job well done! You can now put in some useful fruit trees.

I believe you cannot plant Aussie pines anymore. They are banned as being non-native. I like them, many properties here have them planted as hedges 20-30-40 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:18:23 AM by zands »

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »
I would like to definitely grind the stumps down.
But it will be all up to me, I will have to rent one and have it be a DIY thing; after asking several tree companies many were hesitant because of the slope of the bank leading down to the water and the weight of the stump grinder. they were concerned equipment would end up in the water.

I know some people also have mentioned drilling holes into the stumps and pouring pool acid in them, to burning the stumps out by building a fire on them.

I am open to suggestions.
Mic

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »
I would like to definitely grind the stumps down.
But it will be all up to me, I will have to rent one and have it be a DIY thing; after asking several tree companies many were hesitant because of the slope of the bank leading down to the water and the weight of the stump grinder. they were concerned equipment would end up in the water.

I know some people also have mentioned drilling holes into the stumps and pouring pool acid in them, to burning the stumps out by building a fire on them.

I am open to suggestions.

I had an Aussie pine stump and after HOA complained ..... OK it was a glorious 35 year old tree that I had it topped off once  by the tree trimmers. THEN ten years after/later Me and friend wasted it completely down to the stump. Lets say a 24" diameter stump. After 5 years of rotting in place I was able to easily chain saw it and remove it via pick axe.  No chems used

In your shoes I would leave the stumps, plant mango trees etc. in between.  Take your own personal chainsaw to stumps and cut the stumps downwards into quarters/  Use chems after those quarters rot. Chems means all nitrogen fertilizers or as close to this as you can get.

On smaller stumps go over them many times with ye old circular saw. Do it now on large stumps for shits n giggles. You will have to buy a few cheap Communist Chinese blades at Harbor Freight.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:02:45 PM by zands »