Author Topic: I !@#$%^&* Hate Whiteflies!  (Read 3519 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
I !@#$%^&* Hate Whiteflies!
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
And a pleasant good morning to all.  ;D
I've had it with these damn whiteflies and the resulting sooty mold all over my mango tree.  I tried some parafine oil a few weeks back.  It was effective for a few weeks but now they're back.  I do not want to be scrubbing eggs off the underside of leaves and I've already washed off sooty mold on more than one occasion.  It's time to get serious.  I'm looking at this Bayer Advanced product:  http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/fruit-citrus-vegetable-insect-control.  Any opinions on this product?  My Cogshall is in the ground for about 5 years now.  No fruit this season, but it is flushing out some new growth as we speak.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: I !@#$%^&* Hate Whiteflies!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
I ended up having to treat all the coconut palms with an injected treatment because they were coating all my trees black with sooty mold. And the ficus hedges were like a huge nest for replacements so I went the economical way and bought this --->Criterion 75 WSP Imidacloprid Insecticide (Merit) You can use it as a foliar spray and/or as a soil drench.  I found it on Ebay for $35 for 4 packs (1.6). Each pack makes 300 gal. I did the math and calculated the ratio for mixing smaller amounts. I made 20 gallon batches and so far I haven't seen white flies in my yard for about a month.
A Funny thing I just realized now....shortly after treating my trees we had an event that I thought was unusual at the time but now makes sense..... we came out one weekend and our cars were so completely covered in baby white flies that it looked like the cars were covered with volcanic ash. I just realized that this must have been because of the treatment....the timing makes sense now.
I read up extensively on imidacloprid before making this decision and I am comfortable using it.

PS all that sooty mold is drying up & flaking off in chunks and everything is looking much healthier
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:29:50 PM by MarinFla »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
I use the commercial version of that product also from Bayer called Admire Pro. It has tropical fruits in its label. I applied it 8 months ago. For the first time in 6 years there is no sooty mold in my grove. Also on the positive side for those that hate insecticides, the active ingredient at least in my grove does not get into the fruit, I had it tested: zero, the stem of the avocado fruit acts as a super filter. I love it!! Also does not seem to affect my bees hives, they seem stronger than ever. I applied it last July well past the flowering season. Adios whitefly!!!!!!
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I went ahead and bought a bottle and applied it as instructed.  Here's hoping that I'll soon see some positive results.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
Where did you purchase it from?  Thx.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
Also, if you have ficus hedges you may want to replace them with podocarpus. A lot of Florida homeowners, including us, have been doing this the past couple years.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
The local Home Depot sells it.  $15 for a 32oz bottle, with Bayer offering a $3 rebate.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
Also, if you have ficus hedges you may want to replace them with podocarpus. A lot of Florida homeowners, including us, have been doing this the past couple years.
No ficus.  But the neighbor has a large Tropical Almond tree that hovers over my property.  It's invested with whiteflies and weevils.  That's the source of my little friends.  >:(

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »
The local Home Depot sells it.  $15 for a 32oz bottle, with Bayer offering a $3 rebate.

You will probably get better long term cost results by investing in a commercial grade imidacloprid with the Admire Pro or Merit (criterion 75%) it is cheaper that way.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
I seriously hate whiteflies also, but this is a systemic insecticide.....is it safe to use on fruit trees?  Won't it end up in the fruit?

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
I seriously hate whiteflies also, but this is a systemic insecticide.....is it safe to use on fruit trees?  Won't it end up in the fruit?
From what I've read the product I used is safe to use on fruit trees.  That said, I used it now because my mango tree isn't fruiting this year.  If it was, I don't know that I would have used it.