Author Topic: Some mango tree pics  (Read 3125 times)

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Some mango tree pics
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
New today Pineapple Pleasure

Just planted Pina Colada
[/URL
Carrie flushing after pruning
[URL=http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/mannsnick/media/0804181959_zpsqlzvebrh.jpg.html]

Rosigold flushing after hard pruning

Mallika flushing new growth after massive leaf drop

Newly planted Orange Sherbet

Coconut Cream

Cogshall

Sweet Tart

Super Julie after pugging

Pickering

Cac after pugging

Fruit Punch

Loving the rain

Lemon Zest flushing
[/URL
[URL=http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/mannsnick/media/0602181846c_zpskcykgq6n.jpg.html]

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:17:46 PM by MangoCountry »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Some mango tree pics
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »
All trees looking good..i liked how u pugged as u will need to maintain ur trees in a certain height in the future. Hope u update us another set of photos next year. :)

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »
Thanks gozp. My goal is to keep the canopies low and complex. I have about 15 more mango trees I'll post some more pics soon.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
Looks great MC. Going to be a mango forest! What’s the plot size and spacing?

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
Thank you! 1/10 of an acre. I have limited space as this is in my front yard. I'm opting for variety over production. Most trees are about 8 feet apart. They are going to be more like bushes than trees. If I get a few fruits per tree ill be happy.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »
Thank you! 1/10 of an acre. I have limited space as this is in my front yard. I'm opting for variety over production. Most trees are about 8 feet apart. They are going to be more like bushes than trees. If I get a few fruits per tree ill be happy.

Keen to see how it progresses :)

I’ve got limited space too (though not that limited) and went multi grafted trees for the same reason.

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »
Oh nice I strongly considered that. I may graft onto some as there are many new varieties coming out. If you have any pics of yours id love to check them out.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
Here is one soon after grafting. This tree is actually flowering from all varieties now (but I won’t let it fruit yet).

I am trying to balance the vigour on multi grafted trees. This one is maha Chanok, Allison red and Palmer. Oh and the wiring is to get an even angle on the scaffold branches (I used to muck around with bonsai).

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
I'm east of U.S.1 also, but about 65 miles south of you!  Good luck with all your beautiful trees.  Hope your neighbors like mangos!
John

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
Ulfr-beautiful tree and nice variety selection especially the Maha that's one of my favorites.
Johnb51-thanks! My neighbors love mangoes one of them just left me a bucket of Mallikas on the porch. Now I owe her next season  ;)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
In  you picture titled "Loving the rain", the trees are very close to each other, is that okay?

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
Its ok for now. The mangoes are 6 feet apart which is the same spacing used in many high density mango plantations in India and other countries. Some even plant 900 trees per acre. Dr. Campbell and Cecil have many mango trees on 6 foot spacing, some less. Those are commercial plantations, I'm growing for personal consumption only. I enjoy having numerous varieties as well as pruning and shaping the trees. As of now I havent run into any problems but worse case scenario I have to remove a few trees in the future. For now I'm enjoying the ride.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »
Thanks! That give me some idea, I may have to consider adding 1 tree or 2 if 6 foot spacing is all they need  ;D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
6 and even 8 feet is way too close of spacing.  Its easy to watch a you tube video or read some garbage post and say "I can do that".  You will be lucky to get even a few fruits without issues at 6 feet spacing.

Of course, what do I know...
- Rob

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »
He's only gonna get a few fruit right?
https://youtu.be/_ivzoSicGMc

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »
If you plant mangoes for exercise because you hate the treadmill and love work/exercise that accomplished something you can plant mango and avocado trees as close as you want to. You just have to take care of them properly. I have 15 planting’s where the trunks are around 20-24 inches apart. They are arranged in a circle with 3-5 different varieties this close together. One 3 tree planting is already 18 years old. In it there is a Keitt a Hatcher and a Haden. All are pruned after their crops are picked. Pruned around and on top. Right now the Zkeitt still has on it at least 65 perfect beauties. Not one has come off this year meaning none have fallen to the ground. They have no Black from anthracnose and are really perfect. And the big surprise for all the mango Drs is that this Keitt is on the north side of the other 2 trees and is enormously shaded. So go figure!!!! This is the G-ds honest truth. I wish you could see this. You’d flip. I might do a video for Truly Tropical next year then you’ll see. This project does take a lot of work especially during the hottest months but I crave getting up every morning and being able to bring my babies up healthy strong and just plain gorgeous.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
I love all these arm chair experts...is that you on youtube?  Good luck to you all.  No need to try and give advice cause you know it all.  Please, come to my place and tell me what I am doing wrong and what I need to do.  You are obviously the experts.

People lives revolve around youtube and FB these days instaed of actual experience
- Rob

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »
Aww you made mister know it all angry. He works at Excalibur so listen to him goddamnit

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 10:56:46 PM »
BS Bullie I really do love you and I savor your advice. In other words I have the greatest respect for you and most of your advice and if ever given the opportunity I would jump at the chance to help you in any way I could. You have been enormously influential in most of the decisions I have made planting mangoes.
What I wrote was about my experiences that so far have been working out well. When I said Drs I was referring to for example advice given by Dr Campbell. In my experience many of the standards of mango care and management espoused by the state are bogus and hence have proven disappointing when the mango trees and fruit prove the state wrong. I’ve got quite a few things that they preach to do that is just plain wrong. So BS Bullie don’t get exasperated from what I wrote. I have the greatest respect for you. If I do make a video with Chris I will first preface it by saying anyone watching please take what I say with a grain of salt. I made one video for TT and it was simply about my technique for supporting young trees. There couldn’t have been any controversy from that subject. And while on that subject it’s time to prune our trees as if a hurricane will be here in a few weeks.....just in case!!!!  Cut out redundant inside branches and shape your trees up the way you’d love to see it look.