Author Topic: WTB: Australian Bush Fruits (Acronychia acidula, syzygium, etc.)  (Read 2776 times)

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Hey TFF, been really hoping to get my hands on some Lemon Aspen seeds since I saw them last year. Also really interested in lots of different syzygiums! Would love to know if anyone is in Australia and has access.
Thanks!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

DJMadonia96

• Southwest Florida / Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: Australian Bush Fruits (Acronychia acidula, syzygium, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
I don't believe that plants or wildlife are allowed to leave Australia. I could be wrong but I know that wildlife exportation isn't possible.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »
In doing a little searching I found that there are nurseries that are willing to import seeds with a phytosanitary certificate. Didn't see any selling seeds of the species im interested in though.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
Trade seed to and from Aus all the time
Less restrictive on outgoing seed
Import bureau has large list of allowed imports-just download there PDF files
Its really quite extensive

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »
I think some Syzygiums will be termed as 'pests'. Please check out from USDA California offices. Triphal

S t a r l i n g

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
Hey TFF, been really hoping to get my hands on some Lemon Aspen seeds since I saw them last year. Also really interested in lots of different syzygiums! Would love to know if anyone is in Australia and has access.
Thanks!

I actually wouldn't recommend lemon aspen. A better and prettier tree with more utility is the Lemon Myrtle ( Backhousia citrodoria). The Cinnamon myrtle is also a real winner.

There are many , many different syzygiums in Australia.I'm yet to encounter any I'd consider a top shelf fruit, but they are beautiful trees, often. The weeping lilly pilly is a stunner. There is a szygium endemic to the north QLD region that grows large white cauliflrous fruit which supposedly aren't bad.

This site might be of interest to you:

http://www.bushfoodshop.com.au/lemon-myrtle/

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Thanks!

I actually wouldn't recommend lemon aspen. A better and prettier tree with more utility is the Lemon Myrtle ( Backhousia citrodoria). The Cinnamon myrtle is also a real winner.

There are many , many different syzygiums in Australia.I'm yet to encounter any I'd consider a top shelf fruit, but they are beautiful trees, often. The weeping lilly pilly is a stunner. There is a szygium endemic to the north QLD region that grows large white cauliflrous fruit which supposedly aren't bad.

Have you tried the fruit on either the lemon aspen or lemon myrtle? I was really drawn to how interesting the lemon aspen's fruits looked. Definitely interested in syzygium more as a botanical interest, really dig the diversity and I would love to find some that have the cauliflory.  Thanks for the info and link!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »
I see Achronychias in the bush around my place at times and they are common on the adjacent tablelands. The citrus smell and taste is a bit over the top and Backhousias  are pretty strong as well.There should be no problem sending seeds overseas.There are about 40 or 50 local Syzygiums and cormiflora is one that gets festooned on the trunk. Some have big fruit and the lady apple S.suborbiculare is pretty good to eat but most are sour.Look at the pics of S.erythrocalyx I posted previously but they are sour.

S t a r l i n g

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Thanks!

Have you tried the fruit on either the lemon aspen or lemon myrtle? I was really drawn to how interesting the lemon aspen's fruits looked. Definitely interested in syzygium more as a botanical interest, really dig the diversity and I would love to find some that have the cauliflory.  Thanks for the info and link!

I couldn't get down with the lemon aspen fruit. Not something you'd eat fresh out of hand, might be good for use in sauces etc. My grandmother used to make a sort of tea cake from the leaves and (flowers) of the Lemon Myrtle which I remember being incredibly delicious. It's a beautiful tree, the only downside being that they are susceptible to myrtle rust.

Be careful importing szygium, they are affected by some kind of boring insect that lays its eggs  in the seed of the fruit. When I was trading seeds I wouldn't send them to places like Brazil for this reason.

I'd say if you wanted one with edible fruit  you'd probably be looking at szygium paniculata. I used to eat these as a kid ( and often end ed up with a bellyache which is what happens when you at too many of them).

Blueero

• USA Green Bay, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
I have a few Blue Lilly Pilly I started from seed two years  ago --- I just cut them back and may have cuttings available as soon as they root (or one of the three air layers root) ---- I'm looking for Illicium Verum (Chinese Star Anise)    ---- I'm in Wisconsin

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »
Thanks!

I couldn't get down with the lemon aspen fruit. Not something you'd eat fresh out of hand, might be good for use in sauces etc. My grandmother used to make a sort of tea cake from the leaves and (flowers) of the Lemon Myrtle which I remember being incredibly delicious. It's a beautiful tree, the only downside being that they are susceptible to myrtle rust.

Be careful importing szygium, they are affected by some kind of boring insect that lays its eggs  in the seed of the fruit. When I was trading seeds I wouldn't send them to places like Brazil for this reason.

I'd say if you wanted one with edible fruit  you'd probably be looking at szygium paniculata. I used to eat these as a kid ( and often end ed up with a bellyache which is what happens when you at too many of them).
Awesome! Thanks for the info, definitely will have to try and obtain some lemon myrtle, that sounds awesome.  Good to know about the boring insect on syzygium, I will make sure to do the plastic bag germination with syzygium in order to hopefully capture insects.  I am totally swimming in S. paniculata here in the SF Bay area, pretty common landscape tree.  They are pretty good and there is quite a bit of variance, some have large good tasting fruits, others are more flavorless or smaller.

Thanks again
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com