Author Topic: Wanted: Looking For Sharwil and a Phoenix Avocado Tree  (Read 3238 times)

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
Wanted: Looking For Sharwil and a Phoenix Avocado Tree
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a Sharwil and a Phoenix Avocado Tree.

I'm also looking for a Golden Nugget Mango tree.

3 - 5 gallon shipped to Northern CA.

Thank you.   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:53:37 AM by BayTropics »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Looking For Sharwil and a Phoenix Avocado Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
Where in CA?
Brad Spaugh

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
I'm in the northern CA, bay area. I know Atkins Nursery has them, but they won't ship.

BTW, if anyone in this forum doesn't have these trees, but lives near Atkins Nursery or any other nursery that carries these trees, if possible if you can purchase any of these trees and ship to me. I'll pay a fee to do that on top of the purchase price.

Thank you.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
I was at atkins a month ago and they are down to very little of the harder to find trees.  I just grafted some sharwil trees but they are in big tall pots same as atkins uses.  Its too big to ship but I will make some in smaller pots soon.  Have to wait a few months but I will have them.  Send me a PM I have lots of avocado types and a bunch of small 1 gal tall pots Im going to graft soon for shipping.
Brad Spaugh

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
That is great. I'll send you a PM. Thanks very much.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 12:20:24 AM »
Where are you in Northern CA?  I ask because I've found Sharwil to be a slow grower in the bay area -- might be worth considering putting it on double rootstock if you want to grow it.  (It seems to help increase the growth rate.)

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »
I'm on the bay area peninsula. And thanks for the advice. Where I live Avocado trees do very well as long I plant them raised up when the occasional flood happens they don't get killed off.   

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
Have you planted out any Avocado's with WI genetics before?  I think rootstock could play a big factor with Sharwil or other Hawaiian or WI Avocado grafted onto Mexicola or another such rootstock that favors the Bay Area.

I'm on the bay area peninsula. And thanks for the advice. Where I live Avocado trees do very well as long I plant them raised up when the occasional flood happens they don't get killed off.   

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »
Good thinking -- I planted a couple of West Indian seeds on the greenway in Albany and am thinking we can graft them next spring.  Maybe we should prioritize some Hawaiian cultivars for them.

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 11:29:30 PM »
Have you planted out any Avocado's with WI genetics before?  I think rootstock could play a big factor with Sharwil or other Hawaiian or WI Avocado grafted onto Mexicola or another such rootstock that favors the Bay Area.

I have not, but a rot root resistant rootstock for my location would be ideal.     

rb12

• California, Pacifica 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 12:40:37 AM »
I was able to find one a few years ago at Golden Gate Palms nursery in Richmond across the bay.  The bad....price seems to be a hit and miss depending upon when you go and whose helping you (mine was $15 and not in the best of shape).

I am on the coast side of the peninsula with marginal sun and am doubtful, yet hopeful (who doesn't like a challenge), that I will ever get it to produce (its planted near a Sir Prize, Holiday and Stewart).  Barath is correct, the Sharwil is VERRRY slow to grow (at least over here).  Its been in the ground now for 3 years and this year it finally got the memo to grow (doubled its size).  Good luck. 

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »

Are you seeing good growth and production from any of your other varieties?

I was able to find one a few years ago at Golden Gate Palms nursery in Richmond across the bay.  The bad....price seems to be a hit and miss depending upon when you go and whose helping you (mine was $15 and not in the best of shape).

I am on the coast side of the peninsula with marginal sun and am doubtful, yet hopeful (who doesn't like a challenge), that I will ever get it to produce (its planted near a Sir Prize, Holiday and Stewart).  Barath is correct, the Sharwil is VERRRY slow to grow (at least over here).  Its been in the ground now for 3 years and this year it finally got the memo to grow (doubled its size).  Good luck.

rb12

• California, Pacifica 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
Zero, thus far, on the production front.  All are growing well, albeit slowly, with the Stewart doing the best.   Just put the Holiday in last season (should have done so when I planted the others) so time will tell. 

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »

Are you seeing good growth and production from any of your other varieties?

I contacted Gary Gragg and he said he's been out of the Sharwil for a while.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
I believe Phoenix avocado is also the Carmen hsss, the latter name being trademarked.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
Laguna bills nursery in Santa Ana put in an order for 400 of them for next year so we’ll see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk