Author Topic: White alpine strawberry/pineberry  (Read 1154 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
White alpine strawberry/pineberry
« on: December 31, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
I heard about this strawberry. Supposedly, it tastes like pineapple. Strawberries and pineapples are some of my favorite fruits, so this sounds interesting. I have  few questions:

Can it be grown as a perennial, or  do I have to have to replant it each year? I know commercial growers usually replant all their strawberries to get higher yields, but I'm not sure that would necessary for me, since I'm not trying to feed an army. Unless,

I've heard this particular strawberry is hard to grow, slow-growing, and gives low yields. If that's the case, I definitely don't want to pull it up every year after finally getting it situated, unless its yield gets way too low after many years.

Also, what's the maximum lifespan of strawberries? I think I remember seeing that they only produce for three years or something. What's your experience?

Lastly, do you think these would produce well in zone 10a? What about zone 13?

Thanks.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: White alpine strawberry/pineberry
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »
I’ve grown many different types of strawberries including white and red Alpine/pineberries and the white ones only have a hint of pineapple flavor that reminds you of pineapple only because the sugar acid balance is similar to pineapple.

They are fun and easy to grow but the fruit is very very small. The most attractive thing about the pineberries is their fragrance and concentration of strawberry flavor. They have very high flavor but they lack the juicy ness of regular strawberries, I also feel they are not quite as sweet.

I grew mine in zone 10a and they grew for several years before they died from neglect.

If you like strawberries, you may like Mara de Boise strawberries.

Simon

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Strawberries that can die from neglect don't seem like ones for me. I have a black thumb.  :-\

Is Mara de Boise your favorite kind of strawberry? Would it grow well here? Would they have a unique look like pineberries do? Taste is more important, obviously, but I love it when fruit you grew obviously looks like fruit you grew.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
Mara de Bois grows well for me in a humid 9a

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk