Author Topic: dont understand why julie is not universally loved  (Read 17599 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: dont understand why julie is not universally loved
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
I would love to try a Julie, now I just wish it would grow faster... Very slow growing it had Anthracnose since I got it originally. A few times I thought I may of lost it, however it just keeps treading along. Don't think it likes the higher ph water much. I should prune off the flowers, the tree keeps using all its energy flowering and setting small fruits which drop off.

Maybe someday I can experiment with crossing Julie with a Manila or Ewais mango.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
My Julie got axed from the backyard team because it was not good enough.Flavor,flesh yield and texture were its main problems.I am told it performs better in a dry climate.
I assume you mean less humid.  Now whaty I want to know is the humudity in the Caribbean that much lower than SFla (and Mike T's location Down Under) ?

Perhaps its the constant onshore flow of cooler Caribbean sea air that makes the Julie mango happy? Slightly salty sea breeze can do wonders with preventing fungus.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
My guess it that it would be out this fall.

sorry for stupid question, but is juilette ready for sale?

Me just wants one if its dwarf
Jeff  :-)

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

Adam,

I have a order coming from Zills on Thursday for around a Hundred trees and believe I have 12 Juilette coming with the order. Do you want me to save you one.

Joe.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »

Jeff,

Zills has them now in only 3gal. Did you like the mango's?

Joe.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
Adam you would have to keep it away from the romeos.By dry climate I was thinking less than 50 or 60 inches a year and yes somewhere that doesn't have a stinking hot monssonal summer like here.All mangoes do better in cooler, drier, upland locations here away from the coast. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

Hmmm...from Joe's order looks like you may be behind on the times.   ;) ;D :P
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
thanks Joe!

I thought it was dwarf, but Zill said not quite!

I'm just looking for mini mango trees to push limits and have more variety outside if the normal acceptable growing zones.

thanks again for the kind offer

Adam,

I have a order coming from Zills on Thursday for around a Hundred trees and believe I have 12 Juilette coming with the order. Do you want me to save you one.

Joe.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
u right!

I'm not a real mango buff.

I've been paying too much attention to these new and amazing fruits being introduced from Brazil.
 ;) ;D :P

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 05:03:39 PM »
Yah, I haven't been up to zill's in months. I had the Juliette last year (it was called HE-4). I was good, but not soul smashing like the LZ. I remember it being like a julie but with less musk. I've pretty much given up on the julie and anything closely related to it, since they don't tolerate my soil. A lot of folks talk about the ocean breeze being the trick to growing those, but the reality is that it's mostly about soil. If you give the julie good soil conditions, it will look beautiful, even this far inland.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
The tree down at Fairchild Farm was small.

thanks Joe!

I thought it was dwarf, but Zill said not quite!

I'm just looking for mini mango trees to push limits and have more variety outside if the normal acceptable growing zones.

thanks again for the kind offer

Adam,

Joe.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
u right!

I've been paying too much attention to these new and amazing fruits being introduced from Brazil.

My "comment" was to Jeff, as a joke...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
Yah, I haven't been up to zill's in months. I had the Juliette last year (it was called HE-4). I was good, but not soul smashing like the LZ. I remember it being like a julie but with less musk. I've pretty much given up on the julie and anything closely related to it, since they don't tolerate my soil. A lot of folks talk about the ocean breeze being the trick to growing those, but the reality is that it's mostly about soil. If you give the julie good soil conditions, it will look beautiful, even this far inland.

Ahhh...Since that was the number, I too had it last year and agree, wasn't overly impressed.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
There's also the J-12 that Sheehan turned me onto. He calls it the 'super julie'. It's a more vigorous tree and might actually perform OK in my ghetto soil. I grafted a couple for myself. As far as flavor goes, I have no idea. Just remember Sheehan saying that he really liked it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »
There's also the J-12 that murahilin turned me onto. He calls it the 'super julie'. It's a more vigorous tree and might actually perform OK in my ghetto soil. I grafted a couple for myself. As far as flavor goes, I have no idea. Just remember murahilin saying that he really liked it.
Yeah, but we know what his tastes are like...  ;) ;D :o ??? ::) :P :blank:
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »
HAHAHAH Yah, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - a Mangophile. Mango is the perfect intersection of low maintenance, reliable production, and excellent flavor (in south fl at least) -- and that's what it's all about: easy access with little work to reams of incredibly yummy tummy fillers ! Bummer that they only bear during the summer though :-(.

u right!

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
Julie is one of my all time Favorites.  I just love the flavor explosion inside the small and often ugly exterior. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Same deal with carrie I guess.

Some love some hate.

Mangoes are so diverse you could eat a different one each day for the next 4 years or more, the way they are breeding new ones.

I have read for several years how some people love Julie and some hate it due to its strong flavor. I have long wanted to try a Julie to see what all the fuss is about. I finally got my hands on 3 Julies. Thanks Kings Harry.
All 3 were virtually black on the outside (athracnose?) and looked like a potato that been left too long in the drawer.
Anyway, when I got back to NY, i ate two of them. I was blown away. Incredible flavor. And for me what really made the mango stand out was that its flesh was unusually dense (in a good way).
I dont understand how there is anyone that does not think this is a knockout mango.
Comments?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »
I have found that it is best not to accept other peoples' recommendations and formal variety and species assessments entirely.I am routinely disappointed when it gets down to the nitty gritty when I go in full of hope and optimism.These days I believe only about a quarter of what I read,a third of what I'm told and half of what I see.

Subjectivity only accounts for part of it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »

Perhaps its the constant onshore flow of cooler Caribbean sea air that makes the Julie mango happy? Slightly salty sea breeze can do wonders with preventing fungus.

That is exactly what the theory is. The salt in the air being anti-fungal

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
Does Neelam give autumn mangoes?  :)

HAHAHAH Yah, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - a Mangophile. Mango is the perfect intersection of low maintenance, reliable production, and excellent flavor (in south fl at least) -- and that's what it's all about: easy access with little work to reams of incredibly yummy tummy fillers ! Bummer that they only bear during the summer though :-(.

u right!

Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
I have read for several years how some people love Julie and some hate it due to its strong flavor. I have long wanted to try a Julie to see what all the fuss is about. I finally got my hands on 3 Julies. Thanks Kings Harry.
All 3 were virtually black on the outside (athracnose?) and looked like a potato that been left too long in the drawer.
Anyway, when I got back to NY, i ate two of them. I was blown away. Incredible flavor. And for me what really made the mango stand out was that its flesh was unusually dense (in a good way).
I dont understand how there is anyone that does not think this is a knockout mango.
Comments?

My hunch is that there is more than one Julie floating around. Here the Julie is fairly anthracnose resistant, but all reports from Florida say it gets it really bad. Can these 2 be the same plant?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
good hunch Oscar,

I'm certain just about every cultivar has variations if over 1000 plants exist.  it's a numbers game that genetics will win every time...genes don't like to stay put...they like to change and flow it seems
Comments?

My hunch is that there is more than one Julie floating around. Here the Julie is fairly anthracnose resistant, but all reports from Florida say it gets it really bad. Can these 2 be the same plant?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
good hunch Oscar,

I'm certain just about every cultivar has variations if over 1000 plants exist.  it's a numbers game that genetics will win every time...genes don't like to stay put...they like to change and flow it seems
Comments?

Adam, I think what you are saying is especially true when a plant is grown in a different climate for long period of time: gene adaptation occurs.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
Does Neelam give autumn mangoes?  :)

u right!

Depending on the type of season we are having, Neelam goes well into September and into October
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk