Author Topic: Anyone tasted an Oro Negro avocado?  (Read 42662 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tasted an Oro Negro avocado?
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
Ok, Cali vs Fla...whether avocados or mangoes (or anything else), it is not only not fair but difficult at best to compare the fruit grown between the two states.  The conditions, from climate, environmental and physical, are just far too different to make fair, equal comparisons.  Growth habits, fruiting times, fruit size, fruit shape, fruit color, etc. will all most likely be different...oh, and most of all, I would expect fruit taste and probably texture to be different as well (from posts about avocados and mangoes grown in both states just goes to back this statement up).
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
Ok, Cali vs Fla...whether avocados or mangoes (or anything else), it is not only not fair but difficult at best to compare the fruit grown between the two states.  The conditions, from climate, environmental and physical, are just far too different to make fair, equal comparisons.  Growth habits, fruiting times, fruit size, fruit shape, fruit color, etc. will all most likely be different...oh, and most of all, I would expect fruit taste and probably texture to be different as well (from posts about avocados and mangoes grown in both states just goes to back this statement up).
Rob
I agree with you 100%.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
Now lets add Hawaiian avocados to the mix. Tonight we just had our first Nishikawa!!!!!!.  The creamiest avocado I have tasted  in a long time including Hass.  Very flavorful as well, I don't know the percentage of oil that it reaches in Florida but you can spread it like butter. This was grown in the west coast of Florida and I don't think it had reached its full potential it had a bird or squirrel mark on it that cause some damage inside. It was a bit hard to peel but was worth the effort.   My tree will hopefully bear a few fruit next year to see its development up close.   If you like guacamole this will work for you.  Oro Negro look out!!!!!!!!
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »
Go Nishikawa!  Thanks for the info on Dupuis and also Day.                                     
John

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  Does anyone know what nurseries carry nishikawa?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
Cool, just wanted to get an idea what these babies may need.   I am new to the Avocado thing, so any info helps,  I had one more question, maybe you or someone else can help.

I brought over an Oro Negro last month,  the tree was really nice looking one I got from Bender,  but for shipping I had to pug it, and bare root it, I left some leaves on it though.  the roots were wrapped in humid paper towels, then wrapped in plastic,  it only stayed this way 1 day.  I potted it up as soon as possible.

after a few days the leaves fell off, but the stem/trunk looks healthy and green.  but its been a week and no new leaves.

I guess my questions are, can Avocado go dormant? or could this be because of shock?  its been a month now, and nothing , but still green. any tips?

A previous avocado I shipped like this ( Fla Hass ) flushed new leaves right away,  also a Lychee, and Kesar mango popped out new leaves , as a matter of fact, I was most worried about the Lychee, because the dang root ball was so big I had to remove over half of them for shipping, yet its doing nice.
You are probably better off taking 4-5 pieces of bud wood and grafting into a 5-7 gal seedling. Send me PM if you need some.

You are correct,  its confirmed my Oro Negro did not survive the transport. the main stem has just started turning black. its dead.

I think this is the first tree I have lost this way, and did not think I was going to lose this one as it was only bare rooted for 24 hours. and was well taken care of.

I will have to try with the scions. and graft them here.

Funny it was the Avocado that I lost,  The Lychee did not suffer at all, and I thought It would be that one that was at risk, because I had to remove almost half the roots.  I had previously bare rooted a Fla Hass, and it did ok.  oh well may have been the wrong time to transport the Oro Negro.

estoy en misa  :-[
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »
Carlos,
I just had some Nishikawa for lunch!  I am really impressed by its flavor!  I will make a thread about nishikawa (Carlos' website has lots of information about nishikawa, check it out).  This Hawaiian variety adapted very well to south Florida!  Avocado lovers will like this one!   Nishikawa is an excellent avocado, in my opinion!

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »

I believe top tropicals has nikashwa.. they are a pretty good nursery in my opinion

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »

I believe top tropicals has nikashwa.. they are a pretty good nursery in my opinion
??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) :-\ :-\ :-\ :blank: :blank: :blank:
- Rob

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
ahahahahahahaahhaah
Some of us, fruits collectors, are unforgiving!  ahahahahahahahaha
Lots of emotions above!   hahahahahahahahahahah

See, a appreciate a comment like the one made by busbullie.  I think it is funny!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
JF I'm not sure about California but in my experience here as soon as the summer rains go away the late season fruit gets better. Like the Monroes we have not had rain in two months. They are great! The watery issues, well is relative thing specially if you compare it to Hass. I like both each is different. I know people in the Antilles basin that do not like Hass because is too oily and "does not taste good"  All depends what you grew up with.  Remember what gets to the supermarkets is what the packing house and the supermarket chains decide.  Not necessarily the best of Florida avocados

Carlos, I'm sure summer rains plays a big role in Miami but not in Socal. I agree with you, all avocados have their unique fine qualities. I  grew up eating slice avocados with just about any Cuban dish my mother and grandmother prepared. ..... so I understand the value of the West Indian avocados.... I love them but given that 95% of the avocados that are grown in the USA are from California and 90% our imports are Hass from Michoacon Mexico I don't see the West Indian avocado gaining mainstream popularity anytime soon. Supermarket chains play the percentage they know what sells so they play it safe.  Florida avocados are a fixture in the Hispanic groceries and supermarkets in the Los Angeles area but are rarely seen anywhere else. If the Oro Negro has Hassesque qualities that's a plus for the avocado market in Miami.

Hass scores only due to the more oily factor and the guacamole factor. It is an easy score and easy to see though. A common restaurant practice is to add more oil, salt, spice to a dish to hype it up and make it sell. Too bad the low oil Florida avocados lose out on this. But as you say, avocados slices are very nice on the side and you had this within a tradition and culture. They can be watery or oily I don't care. Too bad that avocados translate into guacamole for most people

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
Most people have been trained to like the super high oil content avos because the industry selects higher and higher oil content avos all the time. My guess is that the lower oil content avos are a lot better for your heath, not so hard on the liver, and also less likely to put weight on you, as they have a whole lot less calories.
Most doctors recommend staying away from avos for overweight people because they only know the oily Hass, but those west Indian avos are fine to eat anytime for anyone.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
Most people have been trained to like the super high oil content avos because the industry selects higher and higher oil content avos all the time. My guess is that the lower oil content avos are a lot better for your heath, not so hard on the liver, and also less likely to put weight on you, as they have a whole lot less calories.
Most doctors recommend staying away from avos for overweight people because they only know the oily Hass, but those west Indian avos are fine to eat anytime for anyone.

I thought the oil in avocados was actually beneficial to the body. ???  Refined carbohydrates and deep-fried fast food--that's the stuff that'll make you fat, diseased, and eventually kill you! >:(
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »

I thought the oil in avocados was actually beneficial to the body. ???  Refined carbohydrates and deep-fried fast food--that's the stuff that'll make you fat, diseased, and eventually kill you! >:(

Yes i totally agree with you. Avos are not junk food, but high quality food. But if you are already overweight and trying to shed pounds any type of oil has high caloric content. And those Hass have over 20-25% oil. Very different from West Indian avos that have 5-15% oil content.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
My understanding is that Hass percentage of oil content ranges from approximately 8 to 14%.!!!
http://www.avocadosource.com/WAC6/en/Extenso/4b-183.pdf

A Hass with a 25% percentage of oil is absolutely incredible!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
My understanding is that Hass percentage of oil content ranges from approximately 8 to 14%.!!!
http://www.avocadosource.com/WAC6/en/Extenso/4b-183.pdf

A Hass with a 25% percentage of oil is absolutely incredible!

That publication is dated and not correct. Keep in mind that Hass is not just one avocado but a whole group of selections. The California Avocado Grower's association keeps selecting types that are higher and higher in oil content every year. The current average is 21% for  Hass. Avocados can go as high as 30% oil depending on cultivar, growing conditions, maturity, soil, and climate. The Kahaluu has a higher oil content than Hass, averaging 22-24%. The Sharwil has even higher oil content at 28%. See the chart on page 9 of this powerpoint presentation: www.hawaiitropicalfruitgrowers.org/.../Wall-HTFG2010.ppt
Notice also page 12 of same powerpoint presentation: 52% described imported Hass as watery, as opposed to 3% reporting Sharwil to be watery.
Oscar

larsfun

• Boynton Beach Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
I haven't tasted one yet but I have done a lot of reading on them.  I am looking for an avocado the grows well in southern florida.  I am leaning towards the oro negro because I am learning it is dry enough for dips and creamy enough for eating.  I plan on a trip to Miami to find one.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
I haven't tasted one yet but I have done a lot of reading on them.  I am looking for an avocado the grows well in southern florida.  I am leaning towards the oro negro because I am learning it is dry enough for dips and creamy enough for eating.  I plan on a trip to Miami to find one.
excellent fruit, not the greatest producer but the taste is excellent. We always stock them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
Yah, the oro negro is definitely a top notch guac. It's like a gargantuan hass -- same flavor but about 10x the size. Extremely delicious. I'm so glad I added this tree to my collection.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
hahah my guess is that for 99% of the overweight population, the oil in avocado is not a contributing factor :-). I think the culprits include things like chips, fries, burgers, sodas, cookies, fruit juice, etc. It's usually the skinny rails who are big into eating fruits and veggies... with a few exceptions of course.

The concept that fat == evil is not necessarily true. The mediterranean diet, extolled for its ability to extend lifespan, consists of over 1/3 calories from fat.

Also, the idea of a one-size-diet fits all is not correct. There are 2 different metabolism / body types out there -- Dr Mark Liponis calls them the "hunter" and the "farmer" -- the major difference being how the body responds to insulin. The former group generally do best skipping breakfast and eating high protein, higher fat but low carb meals, where the latter group do best "grazing" -- eating 5 or so smaller meals consisting of high grains / low fat, protein. The documentary "Fat Head" discusses some of the same concepts.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
I have only recently been paying attention to avo cultivars grown locally (so I know what I like, and can plant accordingly).  Oro Negro is the best fruit I have tried with one exception:  an avocado that Bender's calls cannonball.  Both are similar to the hass I grew up with (in the grocery store :-[).

I mistakenly tried to make guac from watercados one time a while back--what a mess!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
haha I hear ya. I grew up within walking distance of the calavo packing house and thousands of acres of hass orchards. The 3 fl cadoes I've liked so far have been the FL hass, the Oro negro, and that benderball avocado. That said, I'm "learning" how to stomach the fl west indian water cadoes :-).

I have only recently been paying attention to avo cultivars grown locally (so I know what I like, and can plant accordingly).  Oro Negro is the best fruit I have tried with one exception:  an avocado that Bender's calls cannonball.  Both are similar to the hass I grew up with (in the grocery store :-[).

I mistakenly tried to make guac from watercados one time a while back--what a mess!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk