Author Topic: Anyone tasted an Oro Negro avocado?  (Read 42652 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tasted an Oro Negro avocado?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Attached find a picture of a 29oz Monroe. Very similar to Oro Negro avocado. May be sight color and orange peel variation. I believe they could be hard to distinguish in a green form.
The leaves are quite different and so is the tree. The Monroe leaves (right) are wavy in their border Oro Negro is not, as the picture clearly shows.

Are the leaves consistent from tree to tree (asking not only Carlos but other who have either/both Monroe and Oro Negro)?

Carlos - if you have tasted both, what is YOUR opinion of the difference in the taste/texture (creaminess, fat/oil content and richness)/quality of the flesh of both?
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
^It probably turns black when it ripens, just like brogdon turns purple when it ripens.

Yeah, but the blackening in most black skinned varieties begins when they are far less developed than those appear to be.

The fruit on my Oro Negro tree are darkening on the tree and have been doing that for the last month or so. The one shown in the picture is about fist size and is colored a very dark green thats now almost black.   

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:03:10 PM by SWRancher »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
^It probably turns black when it ripens, just like brogdon turns purple when it ripens.

Yeah, but the blackening in most black skinned varieties begins when they are far less developed than those appear to be.

The fruit on my Oro Negro tree are darkening on the tree and have doing that for the last month or so. The one in the picture is about fist size and is colored a very dark shade of green thats almost black.   

Tony - how old is the tree?  Is that a nature growth habit of did you or have you been pruning it to keep it that shape/size?
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
Nice looking tree Tony.

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
Rob,

The tree has been in the ground for three plus years and other then me topping it once late this summer thats its natural growth habit. 

Tony

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
Tony's pic of Oro Negro is what I would expect one to look like.....

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
Interesting variation. Tony's fruit is darkening I'm south by 40 miles or so and mine is totally green. I wonder  why? Tony's fruits seems to have something on the skin, animal bites or disease,? It it or is the way the pictures came out?

Both Monroe and Oro Negro are excellent fruit hopefully this year I will taste side by side.  I'm planing to do a blind test on Thanksgiving day
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »
Interesting variation. Tony's fruit is darkening I'm south by 40 miles or so and mine is totally green. I wonder  why? Tony's fruits seems to have something on the skin, animal bites or disease,? It it or is the way the pictures came out?

Both Monroe and Oro Negro are excellent fruit hopefully this year I will taste side by side.  I'm planing to do a blind test on Thanksgiving day

No bites or disease on the fruits, it must be the pictures. I'm going to try picking the first one mid November. I'm very excited to try it after all the hoopla on this variety. The big question for me is how does it do in Gucamole, i'm hoping its very creamy.       

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
Beautiful tree! I love how oro negro looks, looks a lot like a magnolia.. Please keep us updated on the fruit, and post pictures!  I just bought a small oro negro from FL 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »

The fruit on my Oro Negro tree are darkening on the tree and have been doing that for the last month or so. The one shown in the picture is about fist size and is colored a very dark green thats now almost black.   

Tony - have you harvested any yet?  Any pics/report?  Thanks...
- Rob

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
They still seem to be growing larger so I'm going to give it a few more weeks before picking one. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
They still seem to be growing larger so I'm going to give it a few more weeks before picking one.

Come on already, we need a report. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
This is really interesting. it seems that 40-50 miles north the Oro Negro is turned dark. I saw mine today and out of the 6-7 fruit on the tree two are showing signs of darkening. It seems like there is a temperature trigger.  I will remove one next week to see if it keeps turning dark and rippens property.  The two fruit below are beginning to show signs but far from 100% color change

The rest are 100% green

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »

No, No!  Let them ripen all the way!
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »

No, No!  Let them ripen all the way!
Actually, let them stay on the tree and keep getting larger till...boom goes the dynamite  ;D :o ::) :P

I am gonna agree with Harry...sacrifice one now for the good of all evil, or mankind...
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 07:37:26 AM »
Tony have you picked any fruit from your tree?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
I picked my first Oro Negro Avocado a few days ago and tasted it tonight. I would give it two hardy thumbs up...My wife commented its the best Florida Avocado she has ever had. This variety tastes much more like a Mexican type Avocado then the other Florida varieties I have tried, it was not watery or sweet. One thing that surprised me was the fruit did not get as large as Monroe, they ended up somewhere between Hass and Monroe in size. 

My overall impression...its exactly what myself and many other gucamole lovers have been dreaming of a Florida Avo with a creamy Mexican/Hass texture and taste thats perfect for gucamole. If you prefer a traditional Florida/West Indian type Avocado over the Mexican types you won't like Oro Negro but for gucamole lovers this is the one to plant in South Florida.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Absolutely beautiful, thanks for the review Tony.
Tim

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
It looks a lot like a Hass avocado, only a little larger with a larger seed.
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
Thanks for the report Tony. I will leave mine in the tree until they get darker. How many days did it take to get soft from the time to picked?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »
Thanks for the report Tony. I will leave mine in the tree until they get darker. How many days did it take to get soft from the time to picked?

Once picked It took 6 days until it got soft.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
Just dropped an Oro Negro in the backyard today.  Good shot of how little organic matter there is in my sand dune. Most of the black matter is from the porting soil.

The worst part about this hobby is the waiting........

JC

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 07:37:56 PM »
Nice fruit Tony! the large seed reminds me of a Fuerte but the bright yellow and the deep green around the skin reminds me off a west indian avocado.....I'd be surprise if this fruit has more than 10-12 % oil.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
Just dropped an Oro Negro in the backyard today.  Good shot of how little organic matter there is in my sand dune. Most of the black matter is from the porting soil.

The worst part about this hobby is the waiting........

Wood chip mulch will make your soil black. Just give it time
Guacamole is over rated. Lots of Latino and Caribbean dishes have sliced avocado on the plate next to some meat, chicken or fish. I like Florida avocado this way and had Lula avocado tonight this way. The Lula slices were delicious without any of the salt, garlic, onion, hot pepper, lemon etc etc that can go into guacamole. There are many types of Florida avocado ranging from the watery to the more oily and Hass reminiscent. It's all good.

Oro Negro is good this colder time of year. More oily avocado, like other heavy foods, is more suitable for fall and winter
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:10:10 PM by zands »

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »
Roger that, I'm out of mulch, but I'll get some this week. I've mulched all of my trees for that purpose and to help retain some H2O. It's crazy, the mulch will stay moist but the sand is is still bone dry at 2" below the surface. 
JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk